Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What constitutes "formal" teaching experience in M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srs3829

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: What constitutes "formal" teaching experience in M Reply with quote

Hi,

(Sorry for so many posts... I have lots of questions!)

I'm coming to Mexico with volunteer experience teaching ESL to adults. I have no professional classroom experience. I have a bachelor's degree (not Education-related) and will get a CELTA or equivalent.

I'm hoping to eventually be able to work at a private school or university, because I would like to have a job with benefits. The job postings I see for those positions often require "formal" experience, which I assume means professional classroom experience that I don't have.

Questions:

1. Am I interpreting "formal experience" correctly?

2. Is it realistic to think that I can gain "formal" experience by teaching at a language school and tutoring?

3. Will I always be at a disadvantage in terms of hiring because I am not certified to teach in my home country?

4. Is it realistic to think I could eventually work my way up to a job at a private school or university?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even experience tutoring will help you get a job. But I would suggest you not look for a job at a uni till you know what you are doing, you might be able to get the job, but not be able to do the job.

Working at a language institute (many offer benefits) is a good way to get experience.

To get the better jobs you would need some experience and a CELTA or equivilent. If you are planning on working in Mexico long term, you might be want to look into some of the courses that are offered in Mexico. The Universidad Panamericana (brances in Mexico City and Zapopan, Jalisco, near Guadalajara) offer a class that is more varied than the CELTA and offeres more observations and practice teaching. If you want to work in a private school it might be important that your diploma be recognized by the SEP (Mexican education secretary, which oversees all schools, public and private).

You won't be able to teach at upper tier high schools without being certified in your home country, but then, you likely wouldn't want to work there anyway. Mid range schools will hire you with a CELTA and some experience.

The biggest hurdle is getting your first job.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take...

1. Am I interpreting "formal experience" correctly?

Yes...schools are not only looking for classroom experience, but that you've completed a school year (or more). This means that experience such as tutoring, short stints substituting, that semester you lived on the beach in Thailand and wandered into an English school looking for free food, and student teaching are not counted (though valuable, especially if the Thai food was good).

2. Is it realistic to think that I can gain "formal" experience by teaching at a language school and tutoring?

No. Schools that would consider language schools or tutoring as 'formal experience' probably would have hired you without it anyway.

3. Will I always be at a disadvantage in terms of hiring because I am not certified to teach in my home country?

Only at the top tier international schools.

4. Is it realistic to think I could eventually work my way up to a job at a private school or university?

Yes, very realistic. You'll always find a second tier school that will give you a chance because they want a native-speaker. There you would want to take advantage of any professional development offered - and there is lots. IB training, iCELT, subsidized master's study, whatever you can get.

And don't forget to network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

And don't forget to network.

This should have been closer to the top! If you are friendly and outgoing, it will open doors in your job search. People who like you will give you leads or give you the names of people who might be able to help you get a foot in the door. Talk to everyone you meet! You never know who might know someone who knows someone. I once got a job because some guy on a sunday soccer team my husband played on knew a guy whose neighbor was the principal of a small, neighborhood school that might be looking for an English teacher. Based on just that I sent the man an email, turned out he WAS looking for a teacher, and I ended up working there part time for a number of years. Great school, great parents. If you decide to go the school route, while the money might not be what you would like, neighborhood middle class private schools are MUCH better in terms of discipline and parental support, as well as the respect of both students and parents. You might end up enjoying your work! Upper tier schools, not so much.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, yeah, and don't forget there are people on this board who are in a position to hire or not hire you. Even though we don't generally use real names, it's suprisingly simple to look at the resume in your hands and the bits and pieces of information people reveal over the course of several threads and say this person is X.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: