Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADVETI Job Offer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere there must be a cache of great, well-paid jobs for teachers with basic quals that people here on Dave's just don't want to admit exists Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Positve about the UAE Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
Well I wouldn't be looking to buy furniture - I'd look for a furnished place. I've read of getting the company to 'loan' you the money (or whatever) and and you pay the rent out of your forthcoming salary (or something along that). That must be something that companies are used to being asked to do ?

It would great to hear from anyone with positive experiences of being in the UAE too.

Of course, the UAE is a great place to work. You are aware that there are folks that have been teaching in the UAE for over 20 years. It was possible way back then to come over as a native speaker with a BA and to get a good job, sometimes riding on an oilman spouse's visa.

It's a fast moving market; the buzz words keep changing. After "native speaker", then one had to be "tech suave", and "learner centered", then content based, and "iPad ready", then have background in STEM and then STEAM.

In the old days, an employee was "sponsored" by the employer and "taken care of", with an apartment and all; then the loan for the yearly rent came into fashion. Companies are cutting the strings, year by year. The UAE is no longer a hardship posting.

Right now it is an employer's market and "ya takes what they gives ya".
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Adveti Job Offer Reply with quote

nwtefl,

Compare the current HCT package that dragonpiwo outlined with the past (before 2013):
Quote:

It could look like this:

12x7,000= 84,000 AED rent.
5,000=deposits - for electric, sewage, etc.
4,000= commission to the agent
20,000=furniture
5,000=Misc.

That's about 118,000 AED or $30,000 up-front.
Prior to 2013:
+55,000 dhs. paid for 1 year accommodations by HCT (for singles)
-500 dhs deposit for sewage (not reimbursed)
-0- commissions - no agent required
+10,000 dhs paid to teachers for furniture/relocation allowance - you could pocket a portion if economizing
+provided a lump sum startup cash while staying at hotel one week (room and board paid there)
- Startup costs: cell phone purchase

Back in the day (before 2013), I did not incur any real startup costs since the lump sum payout given during week 1 covered OOP items. I waited a year after passing probation to buy a used car, most of which I recouped.

None of the accommodations any of us had were furnished. Some had wardrobes, while others did not (none have built in closets). I don't know about other campuses in Dubai or A.D. Our complex provided appliances but none of the others did not. Not sure you'd want someone else's furniture that sat in the desert heat with no a-c during vacations. You can economize, though.

The positives there, nwtefl, as VS noted, were working with teams of extremely talented, highly educated, experienced, creative, devoted colleagues; being close to DBX, a major hub to fly to other destinations relatively cheaply; and state-of-the-art technology. Less noteworthy but positive, car insurance was much cheaper than back home, we enjoyed premium health care with low co-pays ($13), and one didn't have to have homeowner's insurance. It was unequivocally an illuminating learning experience, but all those perks are gone and now that admin has implemented many unreasonable, ludicrous demands, added more teaching hours, extended the semesters to include part of summer session sans additional remuneration, has shaved benefits packages, etc., sources tell me morale is at an all-time low. Droves have departed. A colleague who had been there well over 18 years finally had had enough and left.

Regards,
PS
Quote:
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent isn't setup the way presented.

For the most part, you can find rent whereby you give anywhere from 4 to 6 postdated checks for the "rent" for the year. Plus you give down payment, but at times you can get a place leased by the owner or developer without down payment. Of course commission but this can be negotiated as well, I have knocked off 1,000 AED off my commission twice. The utility deposit and government fees are non-negotiable.

20,000 AED on furniture is foolish. So many expats leave all the time you can find good used furniture on Dubizzle. Plus each Emirate/city has a used furniture market that you can negotiate the price, delivery, and setup.

As far as furnished apartments, you will either be significantly paying more than you would unfurnished and/or would be doing this illegally. Illegally means subleasing from a private individual and you have less recourse when problems occur between the parties. Dubai will somewhat help sublease tenants but Sharjah won't at all and you could be jailed or deported for this in Sharjah if you run to the police with problems.

Typical Rent Layout in Sharjah (what I have recently paid):

51,000 for 2BD broken down into 6 post dated checks.
Deposit for apartment 3,000 paid upfront
Commission 3,000 paid upfront, I got reduced to 2,000
Apartment Maintenance Fee 500 paid over lease period
SEWA (utility) Deposit 2,500 paid upfront
Municipality Fee 1,250 paid upfront

Furniture-I lived in a furnished while trying to find a place in Dubai after prior lease ended, I sold my prior furniture. But prices in Dubai were just too high, so I stayed in Sharjah and purchased good used furniture for a total of 6,000 AED which included a new wash machine and stove, bedroom sets for 4 children, my mother, and our (my wife and my) bedroom. Included setup. You have to negotiate hard with the furniture people but they will do it. However, I speak Urdu and my wife is Pakistani which helps.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rent isn't setup the way presented.

The fact is that there is no "rent set-up" as there is no rule of thumb. There are no laws or rules or "usual" procedures. Landlords do as they please. Each city in the Emirates is different too. The only thing that can be guaranteed is that it will be nothing like what most EFL teachers from North America or Europe are used to. It will require large upfront expenditure for deposits and upfront rents... not to mention probably needing all appliances perhaps even air conditioners... and flooring.

It will also be very different depending on... your passport... sort of. PS's experience will be what most Westerners find, while rd's will be that of someone who speaks Arabic or Urdu or has a non-Western passport.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Come to Abu Dhabi. That's exactly how rents are set up. And if you think Dubai is expensive, add 30% or more and you get Abu Dhabi. We regard Dubai as a really cheap option with much better payment options, especially if you go down to Ibn Battuta.

So the Emirate you are in is REALLY important.

You can't buy booze in Sharjah can you??
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No purchase of possession of alcohol in Sharjah, to include transporting. There are many stories of being shook down by someone rear-ending people coming from purchasing in Ajman to Sharjah.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A British exapat, Toby Young, has set up a website to assist
tenants in Dubai...
http://www.thenational.ae/business/the-life/british-expats-dubai-rental-woes-turn-him-from-oil-broker-to-property-guru

and...

http://propertyrights.ae/

I don't live in Dubai myself, and so I can't vouch for this service.

Geronimo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: