Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Tiger Reply with quote

Shangri La.

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most things in China, the further West you go the less sophisticated the environment.
I think that will apply to visa prerequisites also.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS makes a good point as usual.

The two years experience, stemming from the recent visa changes, seems to have stemmed from the fact that China copied (which is what Chinese excel at) the South Korean model. I am no SK expert, but it seems that this requirement is at the least on the books, if not in reality enforced.

The funny thing is that the Chinese, always thinking more is better (Why send one person with you to the government office when they can send four?), initially decided to up it to five years. Luckily sane heads quickly rolled this back before it made its way down the hierarchy.

Still, they are clueless to the reality that a fair amount of teachers that come to China to teach are new to ESL and/or would be homeless in their home countries spending their days bouncing a rubber ball on the sidewalk babbling incoherently (That was me!). By "weeding out" these two groups, and without big increases in salary and such to pull teachers from other countries, they are quickly killing their supply of teachers.

BTW, if you were to come and teach a subject like Physics, technically, you are still supposed to have five years. But I have never heard of this being enforced, or the schools apply for the subject teacher under the guise of being a general ESL teacher.

If you are new to China and frustrated by this requirement, you do have the option now to attend a TEFL in China school at your expense. Then the requirement is waved (not sure if everywhere so check first).

Sorry to say but if you lack the two years but are in possession of a CELTA, DELTA and/or PH.d in Linguistics, you still need to attend the Chinese approved program in Shanghai or Beijing.
Mikeylikesit114

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in.....China may not have the most, ahem, honest workplace culture. If you don't know that already, you haven't done much research about the place.

You are asked for two years of work experience on your resume. It will not be checked unless you say that you were a US senator or Harvard professor or something, and even then it might not be. Your references will not be contacted.

As I like to say in my economics classes, solve for the equilibrium.
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdeth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed like many schools are desperate enough for teachers they will either find a way to get around the 2 years requirement or 'edit' your resume a bit. Chinese people seem to lie on their resumes all the time so it doesn't seem to be a big deal here. Rather than checking work history and references they use a probation period to ferret out the people who can't do the job.

So, just apply, and see what happens, at worst you wasted a couple hours. I would aim for unis. Recruiters are under pressure to close a deal and might be able to help you.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question poster, that is a good question you raise about the China in TEFL. I knew when people were first coming for that the whole thing about returning was up in the air. I would think that logically they would have worked this out because I don't know who the hell would fly to China, spend good money on a hotel and school fees to get a TEFL in China, and then fly fly all the way back to their home country to do the visa process and then fly back to China. You could always email the schools and ask about this.

I agree with the posters' points about the bureaucrats being lazy and schools doing what they can to sneak you through the process. But some of these people do actually work, and some are motivated by fear of having something come back to bite them in the butt. I think they would more likely than not look at the date of the degree. When I recently was looking at coming back to China to work for Wall Street in Beijing, the HR woman was on top of things and said the local authorities also checked that the reference letters added up to 2 years and had caught some altered letters and would check on them at least some of the time. Beijing though is pretty anal so maybe better luck elsewhere.

Still, going to be luck that will determine if you make it. There are lots of jobs in other countries in Asia and elsewhere. You just have to dig more as they are not as widely advertised and they are not in a constant state of desperation like China. As you are young, you could easily hook up with something in a country like South Korea or Japan as they seem to have a real preference for presenting non wrinkled faces to their students.

But for China, I would contact the China in TEFL program first and find out what they say, then question if what they tell you is truthful. Wink
sonnytron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished all my documentation and I'm awaiting the foreign affairs office to approve my visa request.

Here's what I can say, and take it with a grain of salt as this is my first ESL job:
The demand in the city is a HUGE contributor to how flexible the school and region is on visa requirements and how willing they are to negotiate your offer.
If we're talking tier 1 or close to it (Beijing, Shanghai, HK, Shenzhen, etc) then you should probably expect to need to meet every requirement.

However, tier 2 cities or medium sized cities with big public school systems but a huge lack of tourist appeal seem to have trouble locking in teachers. For these schools, you'll find that the recruiters are often experts in how to "navigate" the system to make the paper 'work'.

My stats:
Graduated in December 2014. Have teaching experience prior to attending college for one year, and two years of half-time English tutoring during undergraduate working with ESL students.

High ranked university (seriously, super high ranked, like top 30 or 40 in the world) with STEM degree.

Native English passport/citizenship. Actually United States, which for some reason (which I don't actually agree with) makes me more desirable as a candidate.

Was working on TEFL when I got the offer, but wasn't complete yet. Was told that the hours/type/company didn't matter as long as I had the certificate with my name on it.

Most recent employer wasn't a school, was a private software company. She asked for a recommendation from the recent employer, but told me that any employer will do as long as it's recent enough.

I think mostly what they're looking for is that you have an accredited degree from a physical school, a strong command of the English language, a clean body and mind and that you get "enough" of the logistics done.

However, for a job I was considering in Beijing, which had similar salary and work requirements, I needed to get a criminal background fingerprint check from the FBI and a letter of recommendation for actual teaching experience.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned elsewhere, once the school go into bat for you and make the job offer (which you use for the Z), they've pretty well worked out that the local office of the PSB or whoever handles the residence application in their area, are going to play ball.
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double_Dragon wrote:
jimpellow wrote:
As you are young, you could easily hook up with something in a country like South Korea or Japan as they seem to have a real preference for presenting non wrinkled faces to their students.

But for China, I would contact the China in TEFL program first and find out what they say, then question if what they tell you is truthful. Wink

I have finished university, but am at the age of thirty. Far from old I hope, but not young per se.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMlzhPpZEo

Sonny: Thank you. I am wondering which city ended up providing you with a Z visa... ?

Would have preferred a link to some hot manga but thanks anyways.

Well since you are thirty that changes my advice to you. Rather than invest effort and expense in a visa application only to have the possibility that it will be denied, I would just fake the two years experience. Personally I get pissed when people fake degrees and certifications, but two years experience to teach in China is a joke as a visa requirement.

Spend some time to do one good fake letter of recommendation from an employer for two years plus. I would choose a large organization/university from Brazil. Why Brazil? First, it is in the Americas and the time difference would mean an official would need to call at a very inconvenient time to verify. Plus, about the only Chinese who can speak any Portuguese are centenarians in Macau. Brazilians don't learn Chinese as they are too focused on murdering the Chinese who migrate there. The chances of them being able to communicate are about zero. Large organization means the official would need to be passed around. As Brazilians are pretty lazy and disorganized themselves, and very unlikely to ever want to help a Chinese person, I believe even the most fanatical bureaucrat would just give up and approve you if the letter looked authentic. You can do the write up with the dates of employment and then hire somebody on elance on the cheap to make everything you provide the freelancer look great.

This way should give you two years with very little chance of being discovered and rejected in the event the official decides to do some work between naps. No China in TEFL and you can get your foot in the door more places.

PS. Because of Brazil's own visa hassles, the ESL market is very undeveloped there. Use Google Chrome to translate so you can unearth a "dummy" employer.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahh Jim lad.
So young yet so cynical.
Seriously though, are you suggesting that a school making an offer based on the 'honest' CV, haven't thought through the residence procedure after arrival?
If you are correct, it's worrying.
It's like airlines overbooking flights. This is based on the statistical likelihood that x-percent won't show up at check-in.
On the school side, I wonder if they just absorb the excess somewhere in the timetable and the teacher never hears about it.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Aaahh Jim lad.
So young yet so cynical.
Seriously though, are you suggesting that a school making an offer based on the 'honest' CV, haven't thought through the residence procedure after arrival?
If you are correct, it's worrying.
It's like airlines overbooking flights. This is based on the statistical likelihood that x-percent won't show up at check-in.
On the school side, I wonder if they just absorb the excess somewhere in the timetable and the teacher never hears about it.

If I follow you correctly, or maybe this is exactly what you are saying, I would not have a lot of faith in the school and/or recruiter. Chinese have scamming down to a science. The problem as I see it is that they often fail to look ahead or at other potentialities. As an example, say the OP were to take an offer with a small school that has not replaced a teacher in two years. They would likely say not to worry about the two years based on past experience. Or perhaps the local bureau had a change in personnel and the new official, unlike the last, demanded to see two verifiable years. Or perhaps the enforcement of this requirement was just implemented like the CBC or the native speaker have been more widely in 2015.

If you are going to be playing percentages, may as well make them as high as you can. That is why I thought in his situation the fake experience would be best, and in his realm of control, rather than with the school's and recruiter's complicity. I think we are definitely in agreement that the schools sometimes try to over recruit knowing that two offers equates to one white face in class three months later. So of course these are often the same schools that will give the applicant the "no worries" approach, and then magically absolve themselves from all responsibility and disappear when the teacher gets screwed for his z-visa or residence permit.

So I am certainly one of the more cynical regulars here as I have experienced firsthand, seen and read the results of what I would consider to be some fatal cultural flaws way too often, and learned from it. Some go to China and end up getting eaten alive by it.

Hence, I always preach that success and survival in China is best achieved by baoding balls below, cynicism and having a large locus of control.

To illustrate for the OP, one time I was in a club sipping my fake overpriced whiskey and green tea. I had been using my seductive prowess for three weeks and near closing a young mei nu who was almost as tasty as the complimentary duck heads I was munching on. I was four years past the "full flower at forty" phenom. So despite still effusive George Clooney like sex appeal, I had needed to reframe the pursuit so she had to prove that she was woman enough to be with a well experienced alpha male like myself. Our pelvic regions were in sync an hour later as we boogied to Country Road. Hence, imagine my horror when I overheard my 24 year old virgin (excluding xiao jie) Chinese student friend, dancing on the other side of her, trying to help me by telling her I loved her and wanted to marry her. Back to the manga...

Moral of the story? It was my fault for losing control of the situation and allowing an even well meaning Chinese friend to screw it up as more often than not is the result. OP would be wise to do it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgLNr9la3t4
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'when the teacher gets screwed for his z-visa or residence permit'.
Which is it Jim?
These two scenarios are miles apart in terms of harm to the applicant.
No Z and you don't leave home.
No residence and you are marooned in China, possibly already teaching at your school for several weeks.
I know it's a possibility but I've yet to hear of a case where a teacher gets a Z and then is turned down for a residence permit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: