Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work visa must be obtained from country of origin??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Work visa must be obtained from country of origin?? Reply with quote

I briefly looked over some of the previous topics and I couldn't find anything concerning this. I know Poland requires that an American return to the States in order to obtain a Polish work visa. Does Russia require this of Americans as well? Is it true for the majority of Europe? I will be in Poland this November with my Celta in hand (God willing) and it would be nice if I didn't have to return to the States just to obtain a work visa.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a visa to Russia, German citizens are the only ones that needs to do this. It's a tit-for-tat sorta thing that Russia does because Germany requires Russians to do this.

CS
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Just go to the Russian Consulate in POland?? Reply with quote

Communist Smurf,
So if I am in Poland, I don't have to return to the States as long as I have an invite? That is good news. Thanks
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some instances, the organization issuing you the invitation needs to specify (on the invitation) the country you'll be processing your visa. I don't know what all of these instances are. Just something to keep in mind should they ask you which country you'll be in.

CS
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks. You're helping me out a lot here.
Here's one for you. I will be visiting Russia mid October or so. Right now my plan is to obtain a tourist visa, stay in Russia for a month, and then fly to Krakow to take the Celta course. I could opt to obtain a 90 day visitor's visa and then take the BKC Celta course Jan 5th, however my visitor's visa would expire the first week into the course. In your opinion, would this be a big red tape hassle? Seems to me it would be.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90-day visitor's visa? Whadat? Is that where someone in Russia sends you a private invitation? If so, don't count on it. Someone applied for one for me through OVIR (a hassle not worth the trouble) over six months in advance. I ended up getting a tourist visa because I didn't get the invitation until the day I left Russia.

If you got a tourist visa, which is only good for 1 month, you would need to time it perfectly as the course is a month long. However, I think they might provide a business invitation...? Can any one from BKC comment?

Besides that, I think the CELTA in Krakow is a lot cheaper.

CS
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: 90 day visitor's visa Reply with quote

Well I would use the 30 day tourist visa for just that...touring. Then I would fly out of St. Petersburg to Krakow and take the Celta there. You're right the Celta is cheaper in Krakow but I still have to buy a plane ticket there. I'll probably just do the 30 day tourist visa. If I want to return to Russia and teach I'll just cross that bridge if and when I get to it.
So if I buy a one way ticket to St. Petersburg (place I have friends) and then fly to Krakow 30 days later, will Russian officials give me problems since my ticket is not round trip? Maybe I should just ask the Russian consulate but if you know anything concerning that please let me know. Thanks.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to recall anyone ever asking to see proof that I had a means to leave Russia prior to my visa's expiration date. Once I entered by train from Estonia (visa run) and I didn't (and still don't) have any proof that I'm leaving. In other words, I don't think you need a return ticket out of Russia.

As far as taking the CELTA in Russia, you're supposed to leave the country to obtain a new visa anyway (if you decide to stay and teach in Russia). It is actually possible to go from one visa to another without leaving the country. I think it only works if you are working for a company for a year, then decide to stay for another they can issue you another visa in-country. I've noticed some of the teachers here on this forum say they need to leave every year to get a new visa, so I guess it's not possible for everyone/company. I just know that is it possible, but in your case (going from teacher-in-training to teacher) I don't think so.

CS
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that point about proof of return.
I have entered Russia at least once without any return ticket. They don't ask about this at passport control. That's what they have this blessedly convoluted visa process for, I guess.
canucktechie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to second the above. I've come into Russia three times, once by train, and twice by air, and they don't ask for a return ticket. Virtually everyone working in Russia doesn't have a return ticket anyway, since it's hard to get one for > 6 months and/or people don't know where they're going back to anyway.

If you really want to tour around Russia and then take the CELTA course, I would recommend that you get a business visa. As far as I know tourist visas are ONLY good for 30 days and cannot be extended.

Loads of people get Russia visas in Estonia et al, so you certainly don't have to apply in your home country, however I think the visa support papers might specify the embassy where you get the visa, so you have to decide in advance.
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Thank you all. Reply with quote

A big help and I very much appreciate the support.
shreeshray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my comment. I took the CELTA at BKC in Moscow last summer and had no problems. They issued me a 3-month business visa and then when I took a job with them in September, I only had to go to Finland to get my multi-entry year business visa. So, be assured that you don't need to go back to the States. BTW, I can give the CELTA course a plug. It was quite good and I was offered a job immediately following the course.
zaneth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying isn't the only way to get from Petersburg to Krakow. Americans, at least, don't need visas for any of the Baltics or for Poland. I'm sure there are buses. I've hitched a bit in Estonia and found it to be just fine, at least near the Capital. Nice cars, good roads, a trucker picked me up at one time (I believe he was headed South, maybe even to Poland). Lots of people spoke English. Just a thought.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you go through Belarus, in which case you'll need a transit visa.

CS
zaneth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I hear you should watch out for Belarus. Thanks Smurf, I figured it in but didn't mention it. Thanks for catching it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: