Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universities or Corporate Training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Universities or Corporate Training Reply with quote

Are there any training companies or universities you recommend for teaching Business English and/or presentation/sales skills? I have two years of Business English training and 18 years of experience training on presentations, sales, and general communications.

Also, what, if any, universities with an international program would you recommend for teaching Business (Marketing or Entrepreneurship) without a PhD? Or, for that matter is teaching at a uni level without a PhD possible? I have an MBA and was a marketing exec and management consultant for years in Silicon Valley. I was also a Professor of Entrepreneurship in Mexico.

I don't need to be in Istanbul but would like to be in a city with an international community since I don't speak Turkish.

Thanks
nichtta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities or Corporate Training Reply with quote

boomerexpat wrote:
Are there any training companies or universities you recommend for teaching Business English and/or presentation/sales skills? I have two years of Business English training and 18 years of experience training on presentations, sales, and general communications.

Those private companies that teach Business English, at least from the ones I've seen, are very sketchy. The hours also seem long with compensation that doesn't reflect what you put in, granted I've never worked at any of them and have only interviewed with them or read their ads online. They oftentimes have evening or weekend courses, many times being very short in length. Students might be there only because they're forced to be there by their employers or for some reason, such as potentially getting a raise, other than genuinely wanting to learn English.

Do you have any certificates for teaching English? Generally, a TEFL/CELTA is required, at least to teach legally in schools here as an English teacher/instructor/lecturer because the Ministry of Education/Higher Education requires it in order to approve your papers then get your work permit processed. That's at least what I've been told by Turks myself. An online one may be good enough considering they don't seem so strict here. However, of course, first find out if your credentials are enough for your desired position before investing time and money in something that's not necessary for what you're trying to do. I suggest you do this by actually getting in touch with your prospective employer.

Are you open to working in a company? Yes, you'll probably be looked at 40-45 hours as a full-time job (not different than working for a private school), as opposed to some teaching jobs where you teach your classes then are free (such as a language institute or public educational institution), but you may be compensated a lot more and be more comfortable, financially speaking. You have a lot of experience along with an MBA, and there might be some companies here, particularly international ones with a staff that knows English well, who might really be interested in hiring someone like you. Don't rule out that option if it's something you're willing to do. I think you have options.

These are the search results for "MBA" on a general job website for Turkey:
http://www.turkeyjobs77.com/jobs?wt=mba&schtp=mnl

As you can see, there are also lots of positions for American or European companies.

boomerexpat wrote:
Also, what, if any, universities with an international program would you recommend for teaching Business (Marketing or Entrepreneurship) without a PhD? Or, for that matter is teaching at a uni level without a PhD possible? I have an MBA and was a marketing exec and management consultant for years in Silicon Valley. I was also a Professor of Entrepreneurship in Mexico.

I really wouldn't be surprised at all if you were able to get a position where you're a professor in a business school. However, I don't know of any precedent where a foreigner was allowed to go beyond the "okutman" or "lecturer" status because of a masters degree rather than a PhD. Although I don't know any universities I can think of now, there are quite a few that offer programs completely or at least partially in the English language aimed at Turks and international students. Search for them online and contact people there directly via e-mail. Don't hesitate to e-mail more than one person in the department or to e-mail them more than once.

This list will help you get started:
http://www.bachelorsportal.eu/study-options/268894253/business-administration-turkey.html

Google's also your best friend in this case. Laughing

boomerexpat wrote:
I don't need to be in Istanbul but would like to be in a city with an international community since I don't speak Turkish.

Just stay clear of the southeast for now at least. Smile

I wish you the best in your search!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities or Corporate Training Reply with quote

boomerexpat wrote:

Have you considered the UAE? Try job sites like gulftalent.com, bayt.com, and indeed.ae. Also check out Wikipedia's list of UAE universities -- some specialize in business. It's possible to work as both a consultant and adjunct.
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities or Corporate Training Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:
boomerexpat wrote:

Those private companies that teach Business English, at least from the ones I've seen, are very sketchy. The hours also seem long with compensation that doesn't reflect what you put in, granted I've never worked at any of them and have only interviewed with them or read their ads online. They oftentimes have evening or weekend courses, many times being very short in length. Students might be there only because they're forced to be there by their employers or for some reason, such as potentially getting a raise, other than genuinely wanting to learn English.

Do you have any certificates for teaching English? Generally, a TEFL/CELTA is required, at least to teach legally in schools here as an English teacher/instructor/lecturer because the Ministry of Education/Higher Education requires it in order to approve your papers then get your work permit processed. That's at least what I've been told by Turks myself. An online one may be good enough considering they don't seem so strict here. However, of course, first find out if your credentials are enough for your desired position before investing time and money in something that's not necessary for what you're trying to do. I suggest you do this by actually getting in touch with your prospective employer.

Are you open to working in a company? Yes, you'll probably be looked at 40-45 hours as a full-time job (not different than working for a private school), as opposed to some teaching jobs where you teach your classes then are free (such as a language institute or public educational institution), but you may be compensated a lot more and be more comfortable, financially speaking. You have a lot of experience along with an MBA, and there might be some companies here, particularly international ones with a staff that knows English well, who might really be interested in hiring someone like you. Don't rule out that option if it's something you're willing to do. I think you have options.

These are the search results for "MBA" on a general job website for Turkey:
http://www.turkeyjobs77.com/jobs?wt=mba&schtp=mnl

As you can see, there are also lots of positions for American or European companies.

boomerexpat wrote:

I really wouldn't be surprised at all if you were able to get a position where you're a professor in a business school. However, I don't know of any precedent where a foreigner was allowed to go beyond the "okutman" or "lecturer" status because of a masters degree rather than a PhD. Although I don't know any universities I can think of now, there are quite a few that offer programs completely or at least partially in the English language aimed at Turks and international students. Search for them online and contact people there directly via e-mail. Don't hesitate to e-mail more than one person in the department or to e-mail them more than once.

This list will help you get started:
http://www.bachelorsportal.eu/study-options/268894253/business-administration-turkey.html

Google's also your best friend in this case. Laughing

boomerexpat wrote:

Just stay clear of the southeast for now at least. Smile

I wish you the best in your search!

Thank you for the detailed and helpful post. I have a TEFL with 120 hours in addition to the MBA. From what I've seen so far I would agree with you about the corporate training gigs in language mills. They seem to be dreadful hours that people in other professions including your average non-EFL teacher would not put up with. I am open to working in a company. I just rarely see those positions advertised. Is that common in Turkey?

Universities would be my first choice but so far I haven't found a good list of jobs. I'll check out your link.
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities or Corporate Training Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Have you considered the UAE? Try job sites like gulftalent.com, bayt.com, and indeed.ae. Also check out Wikipedia's list of UAE universities -- some specialize in business. It's possible to work as both a consultant and adjunct.

I am definitely interested in the UAE but so far the only Business uni job I've found that doesn't require a PhD has a cut off of 60 in hiring. I'm 62. I've seen few EFL advertised since I started this hunt and the few that were advertised have not responded. But I will check out your 2nd and 3rd links since they are new to me.

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities or Corporate Training Reply with quote

boomerexpat wrote:
I am definitely interested in the UAE but so far the only Business uni job I've found that doesn't require a PhD has a cut off of 60 in hiring. I'm 62. I've seen few EFL advertised since I started this hunt and the few that were advertised have not responded. But I will check out your 2nd and 3rd links since they are new to me.

To open more opportunities, you really need to market yourself to the UAE's business sector as an MBA holder with extensive marketing and entrepreneurship experience. So don't focus so much on business English jobs or your biz English teaching skills. Most of those positions get filled locally anyway --- something you could do on the side as an adjunct while working a full time job as a business consultant, exec, corporate trainer, etc. Besides, critical thinking and other soft skills training is at the top of employers' lists rather than English, which is already widely spoken in the UAE due to demographics.

Definitely read up on business trends in the Emirates on thenational.ae/uae, arabianbusiness.com, gulfnews.com, ameinfo.com, and gulfbusiness.com. Also check out a list of American companies based in the UAE, although it's not complete.

Good luck!
nichtta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I suggest you don't limit yourself to the UAE if you don't mind living in Qatar, Bahrain, KSA, or Kuwait, although you can read more about them elsewhere online and even on their respective country forums. I heard it's quite expensive in the UAE, so the others might be better options if you want to save up money, and I'd think they also have plenty of opportunities, too.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:
And I suggest you don't limit yourself to the UAE if you don't mind living in Qatar, Bahrain, KSA, or Kuwait, although you can read more about them elsewhere online and even on their respective country forums. I heard it's quite expensive in the UAE, so the others might be better options if you want to save up money, and I'd think they also have plenty of opportunities, too.

At 62, the OP is pretty much limited to the UAE, which set 65 as the retirement age.

A biz exec or consultant in the UAE is likely to earn more in salary and benefits than a teacher. Additionally, the Emirates tends to be pricey mostly for families with school-aged dependents and one income.
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied for quite a few types of jobs in the Gulf (minus Kuwait and Saudi Arabia) but have not received a single reply. Even if the retirement age is 65, it is best to be in a company for business positions by late 40's. Companies will seldom hire someone in his 60's for an important position. I also have the mark against me that I have mainly worked in niches and not for major Global brands known in the Gulf.

Most places don't even want you for teaching or training in your 60's but jobs can be had. The main task is finding a place that actually thinks experience is a plus instead of only hiring older workers when they can't get enough young ones. In the later scenario it is usually a sign that the city isn't a fun place to live.

I'm OK in my current city but the pay in the Gulf is enticing. Plus, it would be a new place to experience.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boomerexpat wrote:
I have applied for quite a few types of jobs in the Gulf (minus Kuwait and Saudi Arabia) but have not received a single reply. Even if the retirement age is 65, it is best to be in a company for business positions by late 40's. Companies will seldom hire someone in his 60's for an important position. I also have the mark against me that I have mainly worked in niches and not for major Global brands known in the Gulf.

I'm OK in my current city but the pay in the Gulf is enticing. Plus, it would be a new place to experience.

You might contact several employment agencies in the UAE and market yourself as a consultant for 1-2 year projects. Let them find work for you.
boomerexpat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

You might contact several employment agencies in the UAE and market yourself as a consultant for 1-2 year projects. Let them find work for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any you would recommend?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boomerexpat wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Any you would recommend?

I never used a recruiter or employment agent for work in the Gulf. However, if you do an Internet search on uae employment recruitment agencies, you'll find there are a variety of agencies --- some are familiar names in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: