Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Job Discussion Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isabel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Old Job Discussion Board Reply with quote

Is the old job discussion board gone? If not, how do you get there? This board does not work well for me, as I like to cruise through all of the threads and pick out the interesting ones, irregardless of country. It also seems that there are just less postings, but that impression may just be the result of the fragmentation. I miss the old board.
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old board was shut down as of March. You're stuck with this one.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer. I had sent the question to Dave's, but no-one responded.

Am I alone in missing it? This format works for the Korean board, because there are only a few sections, here it is confusing and in-elegant.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Out with the old, in with the new Reply with quote

Dear isabel,
I, too, used to miss the old board. But adaptability, after all, is one of the main traits an EFLer has to have. After using this one for a while, I find I actually prefer it. Hmm, maybe it's all a test, set up by Dave, to measure our levels of adaptabilty.
Regards,
John
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Lamenting the Old Board Reply with quote

I miss it too.Some fine flamethrowing on the old board.Please don't tell me to go to the Korean Board...all of us have some line we are unwilling to cross...besides i have never been able to get on the thing.I miss my old "Bomberboy" days on the old forum.

The new forum...too fragmented(yeah,I know,it's free).But perhaps there might be a post on say, Poland which someone might really be interested in...but because he is not interested in Poland in general (for example) he just passes it by.
gerard

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that at first but this format is better IMO. On the old board you had to click back through everything to return to the menu. Here you have the thread all in front of you. On a slow computer the old one made me crazy. There was also some confusion on the old board. If the title was "visa" you had to open the post to find out which country was being discussed. Here if I want to (say) check out the situation in Istanbul it is very efficient... Now that you mention it though the old general forum was fun to flip through...I usally think of the Job Info Journal as the old board which it isn't since it is still kicking around on the other side.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I prefer the new board. I would rather search in the preferred countries than sift through a column of listings to find something that interests me (and to find something I had posted earlier).
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: it's GIGANTIC ! Reply with quote

Dear Isabel:

Be patient. You'll get used to the new format, and you might even grow to like it. Cool

The biggest advantage of this new board, imho, is the much longer shelf-life of posts. On the old board, I agree that there was a certain 'disorganized excitement' to browsing ... BUT ... good and/or useful posts would disappear off the bottom of the board within a few days.

Now, you can scroll back a few pages and still find that one particular post or link that you were looking for. Within the individual country forums, this could be REALLY important when it comes time to hunt for that next job.

Best wishes,
kENt
wix

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new board better. The old board might have been better for getting quick answers to questions, but posts got pushed so far down the board that it was difficult to find them again after a few days. Now you can avoid asking a question about "where to get a visa for country X" simply by going to the country X board and looking through the old posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: