Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to get a job in Moscow, how to determine fair terms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. But many Londoners also complain about exactly those things which you have mentioned. Any large city will generate complaints. Massive ones especially.

But, here's an extra viewpoint: how safe are the streets in London? And how does this compare to Moscow...?
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Interesting points there...... Reply with quote

I would also worry about other problems in Russia,especially if I was a journalist investigating corruption or had trouble with the police for any reason,even more so if I got locked-up anywhere or came up against anyone with 'connections!'
In London I wouldn't be afraid to go to the cops if I had to,while there most people try to avoid them!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two seem to go hand in hand. No trouble on the streets here, from most groups, because the police are not really accountable to anyone. Certainly not to journalists. Leads to the usual abuses of power.

Yet totally absent here is anything equivalent to the danger of being approached by beggars or drug dealers on the streets of certain areas of London. No police around there to help out whatsoever. Perhaps afraid of being accused of racial profiling by the media.

Which situation is better or worse? Really hard to say on ethical grounds. But in terms of just getting on with your daily life, the Moscow way is usually less eventful.
teacheratlarge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, and when was your last trip to London Sasha? I went again this last summer, didn't see much trouble. The last time was when all the looting was going on, but that is a few years back.

Moscow on the other hand, had a few bombed out areas ( no, I'm not kidding, literally rubble everywhere). Yes, and a few beggars as well.

And a legal taxi, did you find one yet? Granted with the cost of black cabs, I can't imagine you would grab one in London, but at least they are licensed.

To the OP, good luck. With the Ruble having taken a dive, don't expect to have much extra money, but if your main purpose is to just reunite with your GF, go for it. I am sure since you have studied in Russia before, it will be enjoyable to go back.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reasons to go there? Reply with quote

Common sense tells anyone that the economic situation in Russia is tough now(not for the first time by any means!)Consequently making money is going to be even harder so look elsewhere if this is your main motive?
I'm sure anyones Russian g/f/ will be even happier to see him than before under such circumstances.....I know of a Russian girl from Siberia who is a qualified English teacher and has finally moved to stay with a relative in a small town in Moscow district when she found a job offer there,after trying for months at home.She will earn the princely sum of around 14.000 roubles per MONTH and is also expected to give lessons in another town about 20 kms way a few days per week!!Without free accom. etc. she could not survive on this money,especially with todays food prices,yet there are plenty of people in the town who earn much less than her!
So ex-pats who are even on 50.000 per month plus accom. are well-off by comparison!!
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons to go there? Reply with quote

maruss wrote:

So ex-pats who are even on 50.000 per month plus accom. are well-off by comparison!!

I must say that I feel a little guilty to recieve my salary in front of the admin of my school. I earn more in a month than they will in 4.
maqueen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: RU is a complete suckers game now. Reply with quote

If you are going to Moscow for ESL just give it up. You won't make any where near the money to be made elsewhere, will work like a dog and still be considered a pauper. For those thinking they are going there to play playboy definitely consider latter.

Fair terms:

Visa: $? Costs refunded upon arrival.

Airfare: $? One-way paid by school in advance.

A fully paid apartment in Garden ring: +$1000/half sharing with some dirty teaching deadbeat. Plus employer pays deposits, etc.

Metro card: $32 per month June '15.

What do your consider your time worth? A schedule could involve you waking up at 06:30 and getting home just before 21:00, with probably about 6 paid clock hours worked, 5 or 6 days a week. $10 x 30 = $300 or +86,000pyb (subject to currency fluctuations). I personally consider my time and skills worth minimum double that.

You ain't getting it. Period.

You'll be expected to front visa, flight, apartment costs and Metro card if you're lucky for salary above, which in actuality is 15/16 hour days, with a lot of walking, riding Metro and hanging around drinking coffees. Forget about dealing with "demanding/high-level" students...

As someone who throughly appreciates Russian culture and people, I don't teach to subsidize business or like being put in a position where I'm supposed to be the one doing all the giving for some sort of 'experience'. These people/business have money or at least act like they do and therefore should pay fair rates. I really could careless what a local 'makes'. It isn't my problem. You want professionals pay professional rates.

Go at your own peril.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: The unfortunate truth..... Reply with quote

I regret to say that unless you are very lucky and have the qualifications and experience to get a lucrative teaching job with a prestige school which can still afford to pay well for foreign teachers,your 'Russian Experience' is likely to be the way the last posting suggest....
Most 'newbies' are totally unprepared for what Moscow is really like until the shock hits them!
1)Try not work split shifts unless you live next door to where you are working.
2)Try to teach at as few locations as possible...if you can get only one it is a good start and will avoid the agony of commuting.
3)Unless you have met the person who you are expected to share a flat with first and are sure you can get along,do your utmost to get a place for yourself.Rents have dropped considerably this year and the firm can afford it!
Having your own space is essential if you are going to survive the stress of living there,even more so with winter on the way etc.
4)If you succeed with points 1-3 above then remember that you are there for the experience and not to earn money....that takes a long time and involves building up a portfolio of private students who can still pay well if you are good enough for them...quite rightly,it's reserved mostly for the 'oldies' who have given 'blood ,sweat and tears' to build up their work in Moscow,even more so in these difficult times!
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: RU is a complete suckers game now. Reply with quote

maqueen wrote:
If you are going to Moscow for ESL just give it up. You won't make any where near the money to be made elsewhere, will work like a dog and still be considered a pauper. .

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do disagree to some extent. What other countries are you referring to? Sure, there are other countries, but would you want to live in them? I just don't agree with your 'pauper' comment.

If you come to Russia and then spend all your time complaining about the money, you're a fool. Only an idiot would go to a country in an economic situation like Russia and expect to be showered in gold. You can still make money, just not as much as before. I make roughly $600 a month from a couple of privates. That's certainly not bad money for 5 hours work per week and I'm not working like a dog. I could easily take on more privates, but I don't want to. It's nice to have the choice. Sure, some posters will say that they expect no less than $100 per 60 minutes. Well good for them and if they can find students willing to pay that much, all the better.
Of course, I weep slightly when I think back to last year when my money would have been worth double, but those times have gone.

I don't have a family to support, so perhaps this is why I am, comparatively, rolling in cash. Some comments make it sound as though you'll be starving. I have been here for a few years and have never been short on cash. When I first arrived I was on 40k a month! But still, I managed to save a few thousand dollars over the year. I don't know what you guys spend money on, but it's clearly more expensive than what I buy.

Women are the big problem for the wallet. I'd say that if you really want to make money in Russia is to stay single. Very Happy
Partizan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The unfortunate truth..... Reply with quote

maruss wrote:
I regret to say that unless you are very lucky and have the qualifications and experience to get a lucrative teaching job with a prestige school which can still afford to pay well for foreign teachers,your 'Russian Experience' is likely to be the way the last posting suggest....
Most 'newbies' are totally unprepared for what Moscow is really like until the shock hits them!
1)Try not work split shifts unless you live next door to where you are working.
2)Try to teach at as few locations as possible...if you can get only one it is a good start and will avoid the agony of commuting.
3)Unless you have met the person who you are expected to share a flat with first and are sure you can get along,do your utmost to get a place for yourself.Rents have dropped considerably this year and the firm can afford it!
Having your own space is essential if you are going to survive the stress of living there,even more so with winter on the way etc.
4)If you succeed with points 1-3 above then remember that you are there for the experience and not to earn money....that takes a long time and involves building up a portfolio of private students who can still pay well if you are good enough for them...quite rightly,it's reserved mostly for the 'oldies' who have given 'blood ,sweat and tears' to build up their work in Moscow,even more so in these difficult times!

+ 1

Anyone going to Moscow or Russia now looking to make coin and thinking that hot dyevs will instantly fall for you (despite living in a crappy 'Rising Damp' apartment way out in the boondocks, sharing with some dropout hobos from UK/US and earning 50k a month) need their collective heads examined. Unless the School offers you about 90k with the apartment, forget it. There are far better places at making money.

Don't be the eejit in Ufa who got gangbanged by the School, the School owner, the cops, FSB and probably everyone else in the damned place. Russians are a ruthless lot and if they see some dumb, naive Yank turn up in their neighbourhood, all I can say is God help you.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The unfortunate truth..... Reply with quote

To respond to Maruss' points...

maruss wrote:

1) Agreed.
2) Agreed.
3) I disagree. I like living with people. I've lived alone before in previous countries and it got a little lonely after a while. I like having someone to have a balcony beer with. But then, perhaps I have been very lucky with who I've ended up living with. Most of my flatmates have all been pretty laid back guys.
4) or you can steal the students of leaving teachers...like I did. FTW!
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Hear hear Philips postings! Reply with quote

This is a guy who is on the spot and very clued-up about the situation over there at present so I would treat his advice with great respect,only I would add that sharing with a nice Russian f. is of course the best outcome,although the downside is that you are unlikely to save any money!So decide which is your priority,the money or the pleasure!(And never give the first directly in exchange for the second,which is of course also very possible in Moscow!!)No more comments on that score now!
maqueen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RU is a complete suckers game now. Reply with quote

[quote="Phillip Schofield"]
maqueen wrote:
If you are going to Moscow for ESL just give it up. You won't make any where near the money to be made elsewhere, will work like a dog and still be considered a pauper. .

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do disagree to some extent. What other countries are you referring to? Sure, there are other countries, but would you want to live in them? I just don't agree with your 'pauper' comment.

You don't have to agree with what I say. That is the beauty of intelligent discussions.

If you can't figure out with just a cursory glance of job posts here on eslcafe the numerous other countries that will pay more than $1k per month, probably include an apartment, allow you to feel flush, plus easily save half of your salary, I can't help you. Many, sans Middle East, are quite enjoyable experiences too.

Honestly, I can, have and could easily live in Moscow on some of the paltry figures mentioned, but did I have much of a life? No. You may not think of yourself as a pauper, but they certainly do, even the locals making less than you.

As I'm not a spend thrift I've got a simple rule. If I have to think about how I'm spending money, I'm probably not making enough.

A few on here have established lives, put a long time into RU, assimilated and been able to weather current situation. You will always have anecdotal experiences contrary, but referring back to OP and what is fair for a new person?...

170,000pyb, paid apartment, visa, transport, etc. is fair. I will repeat. They have the cash and if they don't they shouldn't be acting so 'rich' at YOUR expense. You're not there to share their pain are you?

If you're working for less you're getting pimped. Don't even somehow try to tell me that waking up at 06:30 and getting home around 21:00, 5 days a week, plus walking, riding Metro and hanging out in coffee shops for 2/3rds of that time, while only being compensated for 1/3rd of time, is some sort of life or great experience. Do you really want to seek out and do private lessons on top of that for some extra bob? FFS

As long as you have the suckers continually falling for all the BS though it won't change. Make them pay! It is your duty for self preservation if you're going to continue doing this job and for all of the other teachers out there who follow.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RU is a complete suckers game now. Reply with quote

maqueen wrote:

If you're working for less you're getting pimped. Don't even somehow try to tell me that waking up at 06:30 and getting home around 21:00, 5 days a week, plus walking, riding Metro and hanging out in coffee shops for 2/3rds of that time, while only being compensated for 1/3rd of time, is some sort of life or great experience.

6:30? In my world there is no such time in the morning (unless I'm coming back drunk) and that time is what I like to call 'Starlight Diner' time.

I must be rather lucky since I manage to keep travelling to an absolute minimum and only travel to 2 students (one of whom is a 6 minute metro ride away)
You are right in your assumed stance that many/most teachers have to travel like hell in their job. I simply wouldn't work for such a school.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: commuting...... Reply with quote

The Moscow metro is often advertised as one of the worlds finest.....and in some ways it is,unless you have to use it at peak hours!So many 'newbies' get caught out by this and the split-shifts and had no idea of how large the city really is until they started their schedule which involves travelling around to teach at various locations.Although I often enjoyed the actual teaching,especially to adults, and met some really interesting people,I was often so mentally and physically tired that I struggled to keep my eyes open!
Six months of it made me feel as if I had done it for six years and in the coldest winter there for decades!
Be warned and also don't try spending heavy evenings out to drown it!!A fatal combination!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: