Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brazil in the fall?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexiny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Brazil in the fall? Reply with quote

I am considering going to Brazil this fall. I don�t have a TEFL certificate or a degree in TEFL. I have a BA and MA and have worked in university administration. Will I be able to find work without a TEFL certificate and do schools hire in the fall, after September? (I�m interested in working in Salvador or Rio, second choice.)

Last question, how much money would I need to make to live comfortably, by comfortably, I mean be able to rent an apartment, buy food, have money for necessities: laundry, transportation, utilities, etc. and still have some money for fun?

Thanks in advance! Smile
waxtadpole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speak English you get a teaching job in Brazil. Schools hire all the time.

It sounds as though you are planning to arrive on a tourist visa and find work when you get there. This will not be a problem.

Salvador is cheaper than Rio, but the wages and demand for teachers are lower also.

How much money will you need to live comfortably. About 1000 Reals.

How much will you need for laundry? How much is a sink full of water and a bar of soap?

Good luck.
AcidBurn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazil is a wonderful country and while there may be some opportunities there, I don�t think teaching ESL is one of them. You�re not going to make much money doing this, certainly not enough to live the lifestyle you described unless you work insane hours (I�m talking early morning and late evening) and have a reliable clientele of private students � the latter is never a guarantee.

Of the two cities you mentioned, Rio definitely has more opportunities with higher pay. But that comes with a higher cost of living, as the poster above alluded to before.

The best place for opportunities in Brazil, however, is Sao Paulo. But Sao Paulo is not an easy city to live in and the cost of living is a lot higher.

And I would agree with what the previous poster saying that you need to basically show up at an English school and they�d hire you. Bear in mind that if you are working with a tourist visa, you�d be working illegally. This is quite common and accepted as it�s a pain to get a work visa in Brazil. Also, certifications and degrees don�t mean much in the realm of ESL in Brazil.

You�re an educated guy. I�m sure you can find a better type of job in Brazil than teaching English. I know a lot of people in Brazil (I�m engaged to a Brazilian), including expats. If any of them did teach English, it�s because they were bored and wanted something to occupy their time. Not one person did it as an income generator and all of them got sick and tired of it after a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: