Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academy owners divorcing - How will this affect the school?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Academy owners divorcing - How will this affect the school? Reply with quote

Boss let me know that it's possible that a divorce court appearance could go wrong and that he might leave the business. The wife won't have the money or manpower to operate the business by herself and may very well shut down, leaving everybody to get a new job.

Now I worked for a divorce lawyer in the past as an unpaid intern and heard divorcees say some of the wildest things you could imagine (hiring a hitman to kill partner, kidnapping kids etc). Of course, it was nonsense and none of the threats and comments I heard came to fruition. It's possible that this is another one of those situations and I'm being pessimistic about the outcome

The thing is that that was America. I'm unsure how divorces work here. So, I don't know what my next step should be. It's safe to say that I should probably put out feelers and try to get work. However, most of the jobs are already taken. It might be too late to get enough hours to put food on the table. Even if I do get some hits, what kind of rationale can I offer for why I'm leaving? I've been paid on time, have great hours, knowledgeable owners, and have the classes that I want. It's walking distance from my apartment as well. I don't want to tell people in the vicinity about the real reason because I don't want to hurt this person's reputation given that nothing may come of it.

But my livelihood is on the line and I need to plan my way out of a mess that may or may not come and can't turn to anybody in my area. Can anybody offer some advice?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
So, I don't know what my next step should be. It's safe to say that I should probably put out feelers and try to get work. However, most of the jobs are already taken. It might be too late to get enough hours to put food on the table. Even if I do get some hits, what kind of rationale can I offer for why I'm leaving? I've been paid on time, have great hours, knowledgeable owners, and have the classes that I want. It's walking distance from my apartment as well. I don't want to tell people in the vicinity about the real reason because I don't want to hurt this person's reputation given that nothing may come of it.

But my livelihood is on the line and I need to plan my way out of a mess that may or may not come and can't turn to anybody in my area. Can anybody offer some advice?

If asked why you no longer work there, put the focus on you by stating that you're looking for stable employment. Period. Don't worry about hurting the owner's reputation; your needs are a priority. (Besides, other language school owners in the area very likely know about the divorce.) Definitely get a written reference in hand for when you start job hunting, which should be your immediate plan.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Smile

It's just weird that this would come about only a few days after all of the teachers signed their contracts. I mean why get teachers their contracts if the academy might not survive?

Do teachers receive any advance notification of the school shutting down? I heard of some businesses applying for some kind of hardship scheme where they can pay their workers a small portion of their income in order to get back into the black. That would at least provide something while looking.

He mentioned that I shouldn't tell anybody and that I'm the only person in the academy that knows aside from the divorcing couple. Now that may not be true. He may have told every teacher the same exact thing individually. But if it was something already known by other academy owners, why try to be secretive about it?

If I didn't genuinely like this job, my decisions would be way easier to make. Last thing I want to do is leave this job for a worse job only to find out that the owner was talking rubbish and that the academy is still operating.

That said, it's obvious that nothing will get done in that area this week. People are already winding down for the long weekend.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you don't end up being an extra in a reenactment of "Titanic." Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: