Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Online From Colombia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSprinter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Online From Colombia Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Hello,

I have taught full time in Asia and the Middle East, but the last few years have moved to part time teaching online relying mostly on my web based business for income. I lived in the Philippines, and am now in Merida, Mexico. I enjoy them both, but both made it impossible for me to work the better online schools due to shortcomings with the Internet service (even 4G in the Philippines which is 4G in price only).

I made a visa run to Medellin a week back after having been turned away by the corrupt immigration officials at the Belize border. I enjoyed the city quite a bit and would like to spend some extended time there.

My hotel in El Pablado had a 10mb line which was sufficient for most things I needed to do. Yet once again it did not possess the reliability or speed I would have needed to effectively run virtual classroom software.

I saw advertisements from a couple companies for 4G. The locals I spoke with said it was good, but did not have personal experience. I was wondering if anybody on this board could give better feedback on my need? I probably will stay somewhere month to month, and hence am not as interested at this point in a line solution to an apartment.

I should also mention that I use a Macbook, which can make a difference for better or worse.

Very informative Jim. Ive sent you a PM
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for our friend from the UK

So things went well with my "regular" online teaching job which uses Adobe Connect, while I was at the place which had fiber optic. Unfortunately, the owner of the place is an infamous fruitcake so I took my chances and moved to a place with a shared 10mb line in Envigado, which abuts Medellin. It tests at a little over 10mb for download and over 2mb for upload consistently. I have been using wireless a lot and been swamped with a resource intensive 48 students in my latest class but gleefully zero problems so far. My private classes on Skype have had some hissing from time to time, but I would at least think about blaming Microsoft for some of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: