Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transitioning into the ESL field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnzaExo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Transitioning into the ESL field Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been considering moving to Myanmar as an English teacher. I traveled through the country earlier this year and was absolutely fascinated by the people and their culture. It seems that my best bet to enter the country on a long-term basis would be to find a position teaching English.

I understand I will need to get my tefl certification which is not a problem, though I am having trouble writing my resume for an esl position. I'm a US citizen that graduated from a well-known university in California around a year and a half ago. I majored in economics and have nearly two years of combined internship and work experience (financial services). Although I don't have any professional teaching experience, I've always found I had a knack for presentations and speaking in front of people. My first question is, how would you recommend structuring my resume for an esl position without any direct experience?

Points of emphasis on my resume so far are:
My education, traveling through Myanmar extensively, finance/economics work experience

Also, I was wondering the feasibility of opening my own English/mathematics/business/computer specialized private school. Is this common among foreign teachers? Or do they typically teach somewhere for a year or two and move on to another location. I understand that I will need to learn some Burmese and find good local partners to work with.

Thirdly, which tefl certification do you recommend? 120 hours seems to be the best choice, should I work towards tesol as well? Other than eslcafe do you know of a good website to find teaching opportunities in Myanmar?

If I can't find the right opportunity online I would have no problem entering the country on a tourist visa and searching "door to door" for a position, I was offered multiple jobs while traveling through the country and know there is a lot of opportunity to be had. I would really rather arrange a contract and accommodation online before entering the country though.

If any of you are currently working in Myanmar I would love to learn more about your experience. I would appreciate any advice you guys have =)

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you head over to the General Asia forum for better exposure and where you'll find discussion threads on Myanmar.

By the way, TEFL, TESOL, and even TESL are pretty much the same thing and are used interchangeably, so you only need just one cert.
AnzaExo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll re-post over there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: