Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good country for my situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl65514

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Good country for my situation Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of direction or advice. I spent a few years teaching English in Colombia and am looking to relocate to a different country in Latin America. I generate most of my income working online and am looking for a country that has decent internet speeds and isn't terribly difficult to obtain a work visa.

Since I spend the majority of my time working online, I would be looking to obtain part-time employment. Does anyone happen to know of a country that offers work visas for part-time employment? This was not an issue in Colombia so I am hoping it won't be in other Latin American countries. If anyone has some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any advice for you other than Ecuador if you have at least a BA -- you can get a professional visa, which is discussed in numerous threads here. Then you can work when you want for whom you want.

But I'm wondering -- you can get a work visa in Colombia with just a part-time job? And employers don't mind sponsoring you (assuming you pay)? I hadn't realized that. Is there a way to work legally for more than one company/organization in Colombia?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if you have a bachelors degree, Ecuador would definitely be an option as you can apply for a 9V professional visa. It's easy enough to find part time English teaching work in Quito, once you have your visa.

I have a 100mb line in Quito. It's better than my internet connection was in Tokyo. However, it varies a lot through the country. You can find good speeds in Guayaquil and Ibarra. It's generally pretty bad on the coast, where power outages can also be an issue, and it's very patchy in Cuenca. One building can have good internet, but it might be terrible in the block next door, so you have to do your research there.
jl65514

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the help, I will definitely look into Ecuador!

As far as Colombia goes, I was getting offers from all over the place for part-time or full-time work with the Visa included as long as you cover the fees. Employers do not mind in the least and it has been a straightforward and simple process each time.

I haven't found a way to work legally for more than one company at a time... however when I was in Bogota, I was working full-time for one company with a relatively relaxed schedule and doing part-time at another company picking up private and company classes on the side which nicely supplemented my income. As long as you are legal in the country there is a smorgasbord of opportunity to supplement your income at various companies.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks, that's good to know about Colombia -- or Bogota, at least. Do you happen to know if work is still relatively hard to come by in Medellin? Do you have contacts there to know if I could also find P/T work there? Bogota is cold (for me) and expensive though if I can earn something in dollars on the side online the exchange rate is great at the moment. I've been thinking about Medellin -- if I don't go to Ecuador.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about Mexico? The visa process has become more complicated but there are schools that offer part time hours and I think there is someone in the Mexico forum who got a visa based on online work.
jl65514

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info MotherF! I'll look into that as I certainly have thought about going to Mexico.

Wanderingxelmundo, unfortunately I don't have any contacts in Medellin as I was only there on vacation for a few days. I am most familiar with Bogota and Barranquilla. If you want, send me a PM and i'll give you more info on the types of jobs I had there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: