Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heard of Antofagasta International School?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
perspicace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Heard of Antofagasta International School? Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian teacher, and I've been exchanging emails with Antofagasta International School.

I would like to know if anyone has heard anything about this school - positive or negative. I would also like to know if anyone can put me in contact with a former or current teacher at this school, so I can get some more information about the teaching environment.

Thanks for any & all help you can throw my way!

Cheers,
Haley
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....great school, go for it. if i had my K-12 certs, i'd be there next week. the city is nice, clean, and fairly vibrant. still, i'd try and get an email from a current teacher just to be sure. just like when buying a used car. you should always check and see if it was in an accident. for those of you wondering where Antofagasta is? It's in the North, here's a map:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/chile/maps/chile-map.jpg
sofa09

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Antofagasta International School: Careful Reply with quote

Hi, I signed up for this site just so I could respond to the comment about AIS. I worked at this school in 2007 teaching second grade. The students and families were great but the administration is horrible. They do not keep their promises, they were late with pay, and never paid me my last paycheck in full. My wife had a contract through the school and never got paid at all ($600). It is a hard place to work because you are not treated like professionals, the administration knows very little about education... I could go on and on. Also, I am not sure what the person that posted something positive about Antofagasta is thinking. THis is the place where all Chileans living in the south cringe about. It is boring and the most expensive town in Chile. It is hard to travel from there to anywhere except to San Pedro de Atacama which is beautiful. I would recommend that you stay away from this school and Antofagasta. My second year in Chile I worked in Santiago and had fantastic experience. Look into the British schools in Santiago if you really want to teach in Chile. They pay more and treat their teachers like professionals.
novia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the post above. That sounds pretty accurate. If you don't make a fuss the first time they pay you late or don't pay , they will keep it up.
monkeyface

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Antofagasta International School Reply with quote

I am currently teaching at Antofagasta International School and I love it! The staff, students and parents are amazing. I am truly enjoying my time both in the school and the area. Living in Antofagasta is like always being on vacation; the ocean is always in sight and the weather is terrific. Antofagasta is a great home base for visiting other countries and cities in Chile.
LalaLove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was curious about this school. Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with me in more detail? I'd PM those who've already posted, but I need to post 4 more times.

Thanks
Balzor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently applying for this school. Looks like a unique opportunity. Can anyone give me some info on the area and the school. I've been overseas for 6 years, so I'm aware of the basics. How easy is it to get a car? or get around the desert and see stuff.
the_nikster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balzor -- I sent you a pm with information if you're still thinking about teaching at AIS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: