Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North or South

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamze90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: North or South Reply with quote

I am thinking about teaching in Italy but don't have much experience on the country apart from a few family holidays and a friends wedding last year. I am thinking about North or South? I hear that down south people are more friendly and that'd be easier to make friends tied in with better food. Do those of you who have worked in both agree?

I am particularly interested in Salerno and Rimini (as I have been talking with a few schools there). Any advice most welcome.

Grazie mille per l'aiuto
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that Rimini is in the north, but a bit more central... It's livelier in summer than in winter, but it's also on the train line for places like Bologna (which is a very nice city). I'd find out about the types of teaching you'd be expected to do in Rimini - it could be a lot of school-age kids needing cramming / YL, for example.

I can't comment on Salerno, but again, find out what the teaching entails. You should also have a think about how far your salary would go in both places. Of the two, I'd imagine that Salerno is cheaper than Rimini, but maybe not by much.

If you can afford it, why not come over for a few days to suss out both places?
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you can afford it, why not come over for a few days to suss out both places?

TIR's suggestion is a good one--I'd follow it, if timing, finances and other logistics permit.

gamze90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both so much. I wish I could come and visit but no time and money for a short trip. I actually have 3 offers in Italy which makes it harder to decide.

1200 eur in Salerno (but no work in August and only 1/2 of Sept - so 6 weeks no pay a year)

1300 eur in Rimini (open all year round so paid always )

1100 eur in Siracusa (only closed in August)

Of course Rimini sounds more 'secure' but am worried that it'd be hard to make friends there, unlike in the south. The last thing I want is to be in a city full of 'fighetti' because I am not one and don't like that style at all!

Any further advice?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1200 eur in Salerno (but no work in August and only 1/2 of Sept - so 6 weeks no pay a year)

1300 eur in Rimini (open all year round so paid always )

1100 eur in Siracusa (only closed in August)

Of course Rimini sounds more 'secure' but am worried that it'd be hard to make friends there, unlike in the south. The last thing I want is to be in a city full of 'fighetti' because I am not one and don't like that style at all!

My thoughts - which might be off base anyway:

- were you hoping to teach in summer? Most of Italy (ie language schools) packs up from about mid to end July to mid to end August anyway. That might not be so much of an issue for you - unless you really want to work instead of travelling / lazing by the beach.

- what work is on offer in Rimini that it's 12 months of the year? (Being a bit nosy here, as it's pretty rare to get a 12-month contract with regular work through the summer / xmas / easter break, etc. Unless it's a regular contract, but in which case, they should also pay you holiday pay, etc)

- 1300 is not terrible pay - you could at least live on it. But I can imagine Rimini is limited socially - like other towns of its size. But as for being more cliquey than other places - I wouldn't imagine it's any better or any worse.
gamze90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TIR. It's not that I want to work during the summer but I would rather work in Italy then head to summer school in the UK. I doubt netting 1100/1200 for 10 or even 11 months a year would give you enough to save for the summer unpaid months.

If one was offered a contractto indeterminatio would they be stupid to reject it even if it wasn't in their first choice town?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A contratto indeterminato is the gold-plated Italian employment contract. It would be great if you knew you wanted to stay in Italy long-term, as it means all sorts of other useful things: getting a mortgage, starting a pension, getting a decent rental contract etc, as well as giving you financial and employment security. I'd be tempted to take it (even if other things were less than ideal) because it at least gives you a cushion - something to help you settle in - while you then look for better alternatives (ie in terms of town, teaching hours, etc etc). But do make sure it really is a contratto indeterminato, and not a contratto determinato. (That "in" makes all the difference!)

Of course, if the job itself is really grim, then it's another matter altogether. But for me, if all other things were similar / equal, a contract like this would definitely tip the balance.
gamze90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TIR - I guess living in Rimini won't be that bad - I had a bad experience with Italians in Caglairi (unfriendly, closed minded figehetti) which has a similar size so I hope they are somewhat different. Also, is 1300Eur a good salary, am thinking 500 rent and have no idea monthly bills cost.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: