Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Materials Development
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school is very low-level. You have no idea.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
The school is very low-level. You have no idea.

I've taught students who couldn't say "I am..." or had cognitive delays/learning disabilities in addition to being ESL. You could, at the most basic level, show the same picture of a beach vacation/holiday (same picture), and point to a map. That is of course, assuming your students are so low level that you feel they cannot understand (and also assuming that assumption is based on proper assessments).

I'm also now going to assume that you aren't interested in correcting some fundamental misconceptions about Englishes and teaching methods, so I'll move on.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I use materials from English and American websites and teach 'differences' as and when I see fit.

However. let's be clear about 1 thing: English is from England like democracy is from Greece.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what that means.
I grew tired of the condescending posts.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
English is from England like democracy is from Greece.
Ce corps qui s'appelait et qui s'appelle encore le saint empire romain n'était en aucune manière ni saint, ni romain, ni empire.
This agglomeration which was called and which still calls itself the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.
--Voltaire, Essai sur l'histoire générale et sur les mœurs et l'esprit des nations, Chapter 70 (1756). (Wikiquote)
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I use materials from English and American websites and teach 'differences' as and when I see fit.

However. let's be clear about 1 thing: English is from England like democracy is from Greece.

Yeah, African and Asian and South American and European countries all have democracy and speak English. That's why we are spreadin' Democracy! like there's no tomorrow! Amirite or amirite, eh?
3701 W.119th

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll often joke with my American colleagues over the differences between UK/US English. 'The clue is in the name. English'. It's just light-hearted banter though. It's the same language! Really insignificant differences.

I'm shocked that this could actually carry over into the classroom. Seems a non-issue.

It's not like 'Chinese'. Now there's a misnomer if ever I heard one.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3701 W.119th wrote:
Seems a non-issue.
It's not like 'Chinese'. Now there's a misnomer if ever I heard one.
In lieu of Mandarin or Cantonese? Maybe that's obvious.

I've held back commenting because I perceived two issues: The curricular assertion of an admininstrator and the autonomy of a teacher complicated by it. And I've agreed the admonishments/condescending remarks are correct in content if not style. Do whatever you want in the classroom and accept such petty and arbitrary prescription as the cost of doing business.

But a related issue plagued my last year of designing curricular exams in the middle east: Testing for get/got in zero and near-zero beginners in a PYP program. My contention was its use in British English as an ancillary to the verb have was eschewed by American usage in formal/academic writing and used in casual speech and quite a few idiomatic expressions, but not as fundamentally as Brits do. I was overruled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: