Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another let down.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Yet another let down. Reply with quote

Following the considerable reduction of days for the Eid vacation I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by yesterday's 'rescheduling' of the National day holiday. The decision makers in this country clearly don't give a toss about the people. Although it wasn't 'officially' announced we were all assured that the National day holiday would be given on the 25th-26th Novemeber-one week after the actual National day celebration itself. Myself and colleagues have made travel arrangements, hotel reservations for these days which now must be cancelled......lesson finally learnt-don't arrange anything in advance in this country without a decree being issued first. Rolling Eyes
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can still enjoy one's holiday in Oh Man....well the Ibri Hotel waterhole aka Hotel California not far from the College of Technology still invites spirits (harmless or ghastly) from nearby places...including wanderlust EFL spirits..who are always welcome to check in during the holidays but not checkout! Shocked Shocked
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: That's a date Reply with quote

The western predilection for punctuality and adherence to timetables is an alien concept in the Arab world. Ex-patriates who cannot adapt to the ambiguity of the Gulf are in for a stressful time!
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's just a case of 'make no arrangements in advance'......as I'm well aware now. EFL Educator-your comments are inappropriate and in bad taste as a well respected Indian member of staff from the Oasis died yesterday in a road accident....if you've nothing to say please refrain from saying it.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another let down. Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
......lesson finally learnt-don't arrange anything in advance in this country without a decree being issued first. Rolling Eyes

I learned this lesson after my first year in Oman in 1988 and it has never changed. Holidays like Eids and National Day are best spent in the Gulf country where one is residing. Otherwise the plans will likely fall through. This problem came up in every Gulf country I lived in... Oman, Kuwait, and the UAE. Only my Egypt employer provided all dates at the beginning of the academic year and stuck to them.

This topic has been discussed here many times over the years. Very frustrating, but it is nothing new.

VS
parched

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is frustrating, but one can still make plans and reservations that can be modified or cancelled, of course, by paying extra. I ended up rescheduling my trip by doing this. Not ideal at all, but doable for most destinations at this time of year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: