Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transcripts for Visa Processing (in lieu of degree)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Transcripts for Visa Processing (in lieu of degree)? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just completed the coursework for my undergraduate degree in Australia (I'm an Aussie by the way), and I can access my transcripts soonish (ie next few weeks) but my degree itself isn't conferred until late April/early May 2016 (a further 4-5 months away).

I was told by one Japanese school that they can process a work visa with the official transcripts (in absence of having the degree conferred), and it got me wondering if there are other countries that do something similar? (just in case the aforementioned school doesn't quite work out).
guobaoyobro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to know this, for future reference.

Anyone know?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Transcripts for Visa Processing (in lieu of degree)? Reply with quote

Tarrasque wrote:
I was told by one Japanese school that they can process a work visa with the official transcripts (in absence of having the degree conferred), and it got me wondering if there are other countries that do something similar? (just in case the aforementioned school doesn't quite work out).

It's better to state which countries you're interested in as well as where you can teach as a newbie. Plus, some employers/governments (in Asia) might require a specific BA major for TEFL positions and/or visas.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transcripts for Visa Processing (in lieu of degree)? Reply with quote

Tarrasque wrote:
Hi,

I've just completed the coursework for my undergraduate degree in Australia (I'm an Aussie by the way), and I can access my transcripts soonish (ie next few weeks) but my degree itself isn't conferred until late April/early May 2016 (a further 4-5 months away).

Japan is one of the few exceptions in Asia.

Most countries* in East/SE Asia require that you actually produce the original degree parchment as well as an authenticated copy along with your transcripts.

*it is almost universal among the ASEAN+6 but you can also obtain illegal work in places like Thailand, Cambodia and Laos without your parchment in hand.

Tarrasque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transcripts for Visa Processing (in lieu of degree)? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
It's better to state which countries you're interested in as well as where you can teach as a newbie. Plus, some employers/governments (in Asia) might require a specific BA major for TEFL positions and/or visas.

If newbie covers 3-4 yrs experience, then that's news to me. (in fairness, I hadn't mentioned that initially, so yea)

I have taught in China for 2 years, and I'm open to just about anywhere else. As it stands, I'm about to take on a M Applied Linguistics & TESOL here in Sydney in 2016, so those transcripts (as my undergrad will naturally be conferred in that time) would be nice to know who'd use them.

sophanburi wrote:
apan is one of the few exceptions in Asia.

Most countries* in East/SE Asia require that you actually produce the original degree parchment as well as an authenticated copy along with your transcripts.

*it is almost universal among the ASEAN+6 but you can also obtain illegal work in places like Thailand, Cambodia and Laos without your parchment in hand.

Ah. There's always one, isn't there? Exception, I mean. I was looking at legal work (as you've stated, Japan does but the vast majority of SE Asia doesn't). Do you know of some of the other continents? Say, South America, Eastern Europe, etc? (just to get a clear picture of the "current" landscape - no doubt it'd change in time)

And thanks as well for the replies as well SophanBuri and Nomad Soul.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrasque wrote:
I have taught in China for 2 years, and I'm open to just about anywhere else. As it stands, I'm about to take on a M Applied Linguistics & TESOL here in Sydney in 2016, so those transcripts (as my undergrad will naturally be conferred in that time) would be nice to know who'd use them.

Do you know of some of the other continents? Say, South America, Eastern Europe, etc? (just to get a clear picture of the "current" landscape - no doubt it'd change in time).

Assuming you have a CELTA/equivalent in-person TEFL cert, both E. Europe and S. America as well as Mexico are strong possibilities. Generally a degree isn't required, so not having your physical diploma and transcript in hand won't be an issue. However, if you plan to save a bundle to pay for grad school, keep in mind that salaries are quite mediocre.

Since your teaching experience was in China, take a look at the following:
Work experience you can take from Asia to Europe?
European Classrooms vs. Asian Classrooms

You might head over to those region/country-specific forums.
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hold a Cert IV TESOL (in-person cert) and was actually interested in S. America and E. Europe (was in discussion with a couple of places in Mexico previously; pulled out from one when they suggested arriving on a tourist visa), so I'll give both the topics you've linked and the country specific forums a browse.

Thanks again Nomad Soul!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: