Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's gotten worse...please help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gossamerwillow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: It's gotten worse...please help! Reply with quote

So, today I went into the kindergarten I work at and was told by one of the teachers that government officials would be coming today or tomorrow and me and the other teachers have to hide in the closet when they come and be very quiet. The reason for this is because in Yantai kids of this age aren't allowed to learn English. Me and the other teachers are extremely uncomfortable with this, obviously. Would this invalidate the contract? Since it's illegal? Thank you!
Dan123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...what type of visa do you have? I'm guessing it's not a Z visa.
gossamerwillow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan123 wrote:

Yes, it is a Z visa. I'm waiting for it to come back with my residence permit. I had an earlier post asking about why I had to go back to Hangzhou (where the recruiting company is located) to get the residence permit since it's so far away. Well, it seems the school isn't licensed to hire foreign teachers as I just found out today. They are are trying to become licensed. Though, I don't know what difference it makes when the kids are too you to learn English anyway. There has been way too many screwy things going on here.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gossamerwillow wrote:
Dan123 wrote:

Yes, it is a Z visa. I'm waiting for it to come back with my residence permit. I had an earlier post asking about why I had to go back to Hangzhou (where the recruiting company is located) to get the residence permit since it's so far away. Well, it seems the school isn't licensed to hire foreign teachers as I just found out today. They are are trying to become licensed. Though, I don't know what difference it makes when the kids are too you to learn English anyway. There has been way too many screwy things going on here.

There's a good chance that your Z visa will never arrive.
gossamerwillow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
gossamerwillow wrote:
Dan123 wrote:

There's a good chance that your Z visa will never arrive.

Why do you say that? I would have to get my passport back eventually?
GreatApe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gossamerwillow wrote:

Quote:
Well, it seems the school isn't licensed to hire foreign teachers as I just found out today. They are are trying to become licensed.

They can try all they want; it does you no immediate good, however.

If the school isn't licensed to hire foreign teachers then, NO Z Visa will be issued to you through the school. Which means, you're not supposed to be working at THAT school -- hence the reason you and other teachers will have to hide in the closet. Not a pleasant situation to be in.

Perhaps the school is working through another school or agency to arrange the Z visa for you, but you will still be illegal AT THAT unlicensed school. Not a happy situation to be in.

You apparently parachuted in ... my advice is to get your passport back ASAP and parachute back out ASAP! As my high school teacher used to say: "Wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one gets filled faster!"

My question: Why are you working for a kindergarten as a foreign English teacher in an area that DOES NOT allow foreign teachers to teach kindergarten, and for a school which cannot hire foreign teachers? You are working illegally ... it's as simple as that.

It's as if your answer to getting yourself out of a hole is: "JUST KEEP DIGGING!"

Before you take up a position at any new school, your FIRST question to the school should be: "Are you licensed to hire foreign teachers, and request a copy or photo of their license."

GOOD LUCK and KEEP GOING!

--GA
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You have become a cautionary tale!

My advice? Get out and do it quickly.
bestteacher2012

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: It's gotten worse...please help! Reply with quote

gossamerwillow wrote:
So, today I went into the kindergarten I work at and was told by one of the teachers that government officials would be coming today or tomorrow and me and the other teachers have to hide in the closet when they come and be very quiet. The reason for this is because in Yantai kids of this age aren't allowed to learn English. Me and the other teachers are extremely uncomfortable with this, obviously. Would this invalidate the contract? Since it's illegal? Thank you!

I hope for your sake they don't stay for lunch. Laughing
hz88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have great pity for the situation you have become entangled in.

I recall your post some weeks back and I mentioned my reservations at the time and said you can expect a visit at anytime from the local bigwigs and it seems my prediction panned out correct.

If what you said is correct and that you did arrive on a z visa, you will get a resident permit but as I mentioned before it will not be for where you are hence the running around the country previously. I said that I am not too sure on the legality of this, some said it is okay, I was and still am doubtful.

What I would be concerned about is the location of your passport, I would quit being nice and demand that it is returned forthwith. If necessary call your embassy and mention your intention on doing so, it is after all your Government's property.

Whether you wish to remain there and given your subsequent posts about dubious salaries I would be thinking of an imminent move if I were in your situation is ultimately your call but given the visa shenanigans and the apparent misleading of you about licences I think you have good cause to do get out of any contract you may have signed.

There are heaps of jobs out there and assuming you have the relevant documents and credentials there are schools who can legitimately help you.

I would say get out while you still can otherwise you will head deeper into quicksand as time goes on and then you will become one of their slaves.

Good luck.
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government officials are coming from the Ministry of Education. They inspect every year. They have no authority to tell you where you can and can't work. The PSB and SAFEA do this, and they don't tell you when they are coming. If the Ministry of Education sees foreign teachers, they will require the school to provide information about you. This isn't a big deal. It happened at my old school, which got its FECs from a different company. What I don't understand is why your school doesn't just give you the day off. That's what my school did.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Z visa is what you should have before you go to China.
A residence permit is what you should receive after arriving in China.
My guess is that you are currently in China on a tourist visa, and that the school is just holding your passport.

Do you have an FEC ?

Maybe you can ask for your passport to be returned to you with the excuse that you need it to open a bank account, or to buy a sim card for your phone.

You really need to know your current legal status in China.
hz88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A Z visa is what you should have before you go to China.
A residence permit is what you should receive after arriving in China.
My guess is that you are currently in China on a tourist visa, and that the school is just holding your passport

In a previous post a few weeks back the OP stated she had arrived in China on a z visa and was querying why she had to travel half way across China to process her residence permit.

This was discussed and a solution offered as to why. I am not certain of the legalities of this and do not profess enough knowledge, one poster claimed it is normal for the likes of 'chain brand' training centres. I deal with Government schools so I really am not sure.

Unless she really is naive and did not look at her actual visa I doubt she is on a tourist visa.

The advice we should be offering is what would we do in her situation, most would say do not get into it in the first place but that does not help her now. I said my opinion is get out while you can, perhaps others could offer some help too?
asiannationmc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play it out......cards are dealt .. if she folds now.... she walks with nothing...
I would get in the closet and dig the big mops
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For God's sake, just don't go to work on those two days. Crisis averted.
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Double_Dragon on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: