Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apostille vs Authentication of Certificates in Latin America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmerin91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Apostille vs Authentication of Certificates in Latin America Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I've just graduated with a BA and DipLang in Australia, and completed a Cert IV TESOL which is essentially the same as the CELTA. I'm heading to Spain next month for the Language Assistantship program there til June, and after that hoping/planning to head to Latin America to work.
I'm particularly interested in Mexico and Chile. I understand that countries that are party to the Hague Convention require documents to be apostilled - Mexico - while countries that aren't require authentication - Chile. My university will not allow two degree certificates to coexist, so I cannot have both done separately to two separate certificates, and DFAT seem to say you shouldn't/can't have both done on one certificate. So, my question is, can I get away with the apostille in countries not party to the convention? Or is there another way around this that anyone can recommend?

Cheers Smile
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are often issues with getting original diplomas apostilled etc in the UK. So the UK foreign office will apostille a certified copy instead (a copy made by a notary). As a general rule, the receiving country won't care if it's original or a copy, as long as it's apostilled (though this may not be true in every case, so double check on the Mexico forum). But I'd suggest you start there and find out if you can get a certified copy apostilled in Australia, and whether you can legalize a certified copy for Chile.
shmerin91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid point, thankyou! I just kinda discounted copies because I know they aren't universally accepted and time is of the essence at the moment, but I will do some more research. I can also get multiple originals of my academic transcript and have those respectively apostilled and authenticated so that might work too.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got my AFP "No convictions" done for Guatemala, which is a non-apostille country, and the Guate. embassy in Canberra asked for a copy from a notary public to be stamped at DFAT and then they put their chop on that (the copy). I would imagine it is the same for most places. Years ago I got my degree apostilled for Mexico and they seemed surprised I had it on the original degree, as I didn't know any better.
shmerin91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cheers! Looks like that's the way Chile want things done too.
Thanks for your help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: