Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Permit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Work Permit Reply with quote

What happens if your employer gets you a work permit but then you want to change employer mid-contract?

Thanks
nichtta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Work Permit Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:
What happens if your employer gets you a work permit but then you want to change employer mid-contract?

Thanks

This is an excellent question I have asked before and to which I still wish someone could give me a straightforward answer. The system seems set up to make your life incredibly difficult. Now that work permits are also residence permits, your stay in the country is directly connected to your job, as far as I understand the new procedures. That is, unless perhaps you had a residence permit (such as a tourist one) before applying for a work permit. Therefore, once they cancel your work permit after leaving, your residence permit may be cancelled as well, which means you start the process all over again. If anyone has any contrary information, I'd love to learn about it.
Shalana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your resident permit may still be valid for the duration, but your work permit is only valid as long as you work for a specific employer. Either way, I would think you still have physical possession of your work/resident permit card with the expiry date on it should anyone demand to see it.
guitarboy53

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave your job your work permit becomes null (no matter what the expiration date is) and you have 10 days to leave the country. Unfortunately, work permits in Turkey are specific to each employer and not to the actual person holding the permit. In the US, for example, once you have a green card (or an employment authorization card) you can work anywhere.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarboy53 wrote:
If you leave your job your work permit becomes null (no matter what the expiration date is) and you have 10 days to leave the country. Unfortunately, work permits in Turkey are specific to each employer and not to the actual person holding the permit. In the US, for example, once you have a green card (or an employment authorization card) you can work anywhere.

So what happens if someone else wants to hire you. Do you have to start all that notarizing of paperwork all over again? Do you need to leave the country? I have no idea. I'm thinking of changing jobs some time next year.
guitarboy53

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
guitarboy53 wrote:

So what happens if someone else wants to hire you. Do you have to start all that notarizing of paperwork all over again? Do you need to leave the country? I have no idea. I'm thinking of changing jobs some time next year.

In a nutshell, yes. Unless your married to a Turkish National, you will have to go back to your home country to apply for the work permit. The requirement of returning to your home country when changing jobs changed a year or two ago.

I had a friend working for a uni and switch to a private k-12 school. She had to go back to the states and wait 3 weeks for the permit to be processed.

Good luck!
crobizzle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding has always been that the employer is the only one who can cancel a work permit. While they PROBABLY will do it once you leave, I know that some places never actually make the phone call to cancel it. I agree that as long as you have the work permit card, you're probably fine.

As to needing to leave Turkey to get a new work permit, that isn't true. I've changed jobs twice since the new regulations went into effect, and although it's still a pain, you don't NEED to leave Turkey. (It actually takes longer for the approval process if you're in Turkey than if you are coming into Turkey for the first time.) You definitely still need to have notarized and translated documents, and you can plan on it taking about 3 months to get the approval once everything has been submitted. If your new place of employment knows the process and what to request from you, it's completely doable.

However, if it's possible, I would probably try to get the new work visa from outside of Turkey (like if you go home to see family in the summer) as it is often MUCH easier & more straightforward.
nichtta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crobizzle wrote:
As to needing to leave Turkey to get a new work permit, that isn't true. I've changed jobs twice since the new regulations went into effect, and although it's still a pain, you don't NEED to leave Turkey. (It actually takes longer for the approval process if you're in Turkey than if you are coming into Turkey for the first time.) You definitely still need to have notarized and translated documents, and you can plan on it taking about 3 months to get the approval once everything has been submitted. If your new place of employment knows the process and what to request from you, it's completely doable.

Could you please go into more details:

1) When you say changing jobs, do you mean at the end of a one-year contract or do you mean in the middle of a one-year contract? As for the former situation, I have done this as well without leaving the country. However, the OP was referring to switching jobs mid-contract, which I've never done.

2) Did you already have a residence permit (separate from the work permit) that was valid for at least six months before making the job change?
crobizzle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first job change I made was actually the end of a 2-year contract, so you're right, it's not quite the same as switching mid-year.
The second job change was mid-contract, but my employer had not even bothered to apply for my work permit yet, so I was on my own Residence Permit at that point.

If the OP knows he wants to change jobs, he'll have to give notice to his employer. Turkish labor law says 0-15 days notice if you've been employed 6 months or less, 15-30 days if you've been employed longer than 6 months. That means he should be in a position to either get his documents to his new employer to apply for a new work permit within 30 days (which would include an official last day of employment document), or he could always apply for a 6 month residence permit on his own before the work permit is cancelled. I guess both of those scenarios mean communicating with the people at the job he's leaving, which might not be part of the plan.

As long as his work permit has not yet expired, he should be able to stay in Turkey for this process, rather than leaving for several weeks for a visa to be processed in his home country.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the OP knows he wants to change jobs, he'll have to give notice to his employer. Turkish labor law says 0-15 days notice if you've been employed 6 months or less, 15-30 days if you've been employed longer than 6 months. That means he should be in a position to either get his documents to his new employer to apply for a new work permit within 30 days (which would include an official last day of employment document), or he could always apply for a 6 month residence permit on his own before the work permit is cancelled. I guess both of those scenarios mean communicating with the people at the job he's leaving, which might not be part of the plan.

As long as his work permit has not yet expired, he should be able to stay in Turkey for this process, rather than leaving for several weeks for a visa to be processed in his home country.

OP in this thread is long gone (and was not probably ever teaching EFL in Turkey to begin with), but the thread may still be useful to others.
nichtta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
OP in this thread is long gone (and was not probably ever teaching EFL in Turkey to begin with), but the thread may still be useful to others.

What do you mean?
nichtta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a user name is confirmed to be used by a forum troll who posted inaccurate information, is it possible for an administrator to delete the user name's previous messages so they do not misinform other users?
johnjengizholden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Work Permit Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:
elliot_spencer wrote:

Thanks

This is an excellent question I have asked before and to which I still wish someone could give me a straightforward answer. The system seems set up to make your life incredibly difficult. Now that work permits are also residence permits, your stay in the country is directly connected to your job, as far as I understand the new procedures. That is, unless perhaps you had a residence permit (such as a tourist one) before applying for a work permit. Therefore, once they cancel your work permit after leaving, your residence permit may be cancelled as well, which means you start the process all over again. If anyone has any contrary information, I'd love to learn about it.

There was a residents meeting at the British Consulate recently and this question was asked. They advised us that the work permit IS also your residency permit now, most employers will cancel it if you leave your job, so your work permit and residency get cancelled at the same time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: