Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Advice welcome Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first post, and I have a bit of a long question.

I am a 50 year old, and in the summer of 2016 I will graduate with a degree (Hons) in English language, and linguistics with TESOL.
My question is taking my age into consideration, should I come to Thailand, and work for 30-35k baht until I can network, and get a better paying job after I gain some experience.

My other option is to complete a PGCE, and I was thinking of doing one in an area where there is a teacher shortage so I could get the £20000 bursary, which would allow me to buy my flat at the full discount.
The PGCE would take two years as I would have to do a 32 week subject enhancement course in computer science. The PGCE however would be in secondary education.

This would mean I could rent my flat out while I work in Thailand, and it would also mean I would not be homeless if I needed to come back to the UK.

I know if I do a PGCE, and get two years home experience under my belt, then I could apply for better paying jobs at international schools.
The only thing is I am worried about the age thing even though I look younger than my real age.

So should I do the PGCE, and then come and get my experience in Thailand I would be 52, or else stay and do an extra 2 years in the UK? I would be 54 before hitting Thailand.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 50 with a newly completed BA and just getting started then China is likely a better option than Thailand.

There isn't likely to be any " network, and get a better paying job after I gain some experience" any time soon. 35-50k is about as good as it gets in TEFL in Thailand.

Doing the PGCE opens a LOT of doors in more than just TEFL/TESOL and that is always a fallback position.

Experienced, licensed teachers earn on average 3-4 times more in the salary packet PLUS they usually have additional benefits like medical, flights and housing.

Over 50 isn't that big an issue for someone who is qualified.
Over 50 means last choice options for someone who is marginally qualified.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Advice welcome Reply with quote

MrDave wrote:
My other option is to complete a PGCE, and I was thinking of doing one in an area where there is a teacher shortage.

The biggest teaching need worldwide is in science and mathematics.
MrDave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Advice welcome Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
MrDave wrote:
My other option is to complete a PGCE, and I was thinking of doing one in an area where there is a teacher shortage.

The biggest teaching need worldwide is in science and mathematics.

Maybe, but I don't have any qualifications science related. I don't fancy teaching maths, and the bursary for computer science is £20,000 for people who get a 2.1 or 2.2. I could do a PGCE in secondary English, but the bursary is a lot smaller, and my plan is to buy my flat which I could do with the government discount.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice welcome Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

1 You'll need the £20,000 to pay the 9,000 PGCE fee and living expenses unless you happen to have a spare 9k lying around to pay for the PGCE and enough money to survive for the course with no salary (?).

2 Just in case you don't know you get the 20,000 in installments and not in one go. It's not a lump sum. Though in saying that, you won't actually get enough of the 20,000 before you have to pay your fees, so some people have to end up taking loans to pay for the PGCE even though they're getting a bursary. It makes no sense! The government give the 20k to the university then the university give it to you bit-by-bit instead of automatically deducting the 9k PGCE fee from the 20k then giving you it in installments.

3 The PGCE can be quite draining, but worthwhile having I guess. However, having to do the 32 week computer science course and PGCE after means (unfortunately!) time is ticking on. I'm not sure if the PGCE is worth it at your age, as for good international schools you probably need 2 years minimum post PGCE experience teaching your subject which would add up in terms of time in the UK and might take a while to find a decent international school job. I guess you need to decide if you think it's worth it or not.

Good luck with whatever you do!
MrDave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice welcome Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Hi Dave,

1 You'll need the £20,000 to pay the 9,000 PGCE fee and living expenses unless you happen to have a spare 9k lying around to pay for the PGCE and enough money to survive for the course with no salary (?).

2 Just in case you don't know you get the 20,000 in installments and not in one go. It's not a lump sum. Though in saying that, you won't actually get enough of the 20,000 before you have to pay your fees, so some people have to end up taking loans to pay for the PGCE even though they're getting a bursary. It makes no sense! The government give the 20k to the university then the university give it to you bit-by-bit instead of automatically deducting the 9k PGCE fee from the 20k then giving you it in installments.

3 The PGCE can be quite draining, but worthwhile having I guess. However, having to do the 32 week computer science course and PGCE after means (unfortunately!) time is ticking on. I'm not sure if the PGCE is worth it at your age, as for good international schools you probably need 2 years minimum post PGCE experience teaching your subject which would add up in terms of time in the UK and might take a while to find a decent international school job. I guess you need to decide if you think it's worth it or not.

Good luck with whatever you do!

I don't need any money as the PGCE would be fully funded by student finance, and just be added to the rest of my student debt. The reason I know this is I asked student finance. My UK pension age is 67 so I think it will be worth it.
SunShan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go for the PGCE! You'll probably get a much better job teaching computer science than the more competitive English positions.

I'm on the English PGCE at the moment in the UK and only getting £9000 bursary compared to the ridiculous amounts they're throwing at other subjects and attracting the wrong people to teaching, but that's another story.

You're right about student finance paying the course fee, so that's no issue. Plus you can apply for a maintenance loan on top of the bursary. It just gets added to your student debt along with PGCE fee. No big deal. The government haven't got a clue: they waste millions each year on undergrad students with hardly any idea as to how they'll get the money back - graduates not earning enough most of the time or they lose track of them - so take advantage of it incase they ever come to their senses.

I know a guy on the computer science PGCE and he did the knowledge enhancement course. He is really enjoying it and compared to English, we both agreed his course and the teaching side is much easier so far: e.g. kids are glued to the screen, hardly any behaviour issues, straight-forward lesson planning and delivery...
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Recently I have seen a lot of 50+ year olds seeking EFL teaching positions in the Land of Smiles.....including those in their 60's and even 70's....mostly from North America. If you have at least a degree and TEFL certificate you should be able to find part time work here. Best to be on a Retirement or Thai wife visa as work permit rules here have mad it next to impossible to obtain one if over 50.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PGCE looks better on a Thai school roster of teachers and most likely you'll get paid more. Keep in mind Thailand is a nice place to be and has quite a few teachers with PGCE's. You won't be guaranteed a nice paying job.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

There are plenty of EFL teaching positions in the Land Of Smiles....of course the more qualifications one has the better......expect Baths 30,000/Month average salary.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PGCE will allow you to network into International Schools and even though they may be fake, the pay will be higher. Without a PGCE you can expect to eventually work up to a school that pays 40,000 Baht not likely much more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: