Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any job leads inside EU for American with dual citizenship?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter109

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Any job leads inside EU for American with dual citizenship? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some job leads inside Europe. My wife is French and we are wanting to move out closer to her family. Hopefully looking for something full time. I've been focusing my search in France - tracking positions for lecteur d'anglais, but I've only found 1 job opening total. We are willing to relocate in other European countries, hopefully something in the EU. I have a pretty comfortable full time ESL job right now in the USA, so I'm hesitant to make the move unless I find something just right.

About me:
I'm American with a master's in TESL, 5 years experience teaching ESL to adults inside the USA and 1 year teaching EFL with kids and adults in Korea. Also 3 years as a TOEFL rater.

Thanks for any leads!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any job leads inside EU for American with dual citizensh Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
I've been focusing my search in France - tracking positions for lecteur d'anglais, but I've only found 1 job opening total.

Or consider working online in a non-TEFL field, which would allow you to live anywhere in the world.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any job leads inside EU for American with dual citizensh Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
madhatter109 wrote:
I've been focusing my search in France - tracking positions for lecteur d'anglais, but I've only found 1 job opening total.

Or consider working online in a non-TEFL field, which would allow you to live anywhere in the world.

I'd love to work online in a non-tefl field. Any tips?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Any job leads inside EU for American with dual citizensh Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
I'd love to work online in a non-tefl field. Any tips?

Do an Internet search with the following:
    work from home jobs
    remote jobs
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Working in France Reply with quote

When you raised this topic on the French forum last year, you mentioned Strasbourg, Lyon and Nancy as possible destinations. If you're prepared to be part of a mill, Wall Street Institute has schools in those cities, and Berlitz has schools in Strasbourg and Lyon. Needless to say, your qualifications and experience merit something rather better.

As I think I mentioned in a PM, it's often the case that EFL teachers in France have to work for a number of different schools in order to get by, and that can involve starting work early, finishing late, and travelling between classes. Your best long-term bet would be to apply for French citizenship and try to find work in the state sector. School teachers in France are civil servants, so you'd enjoy a steady income and of course a pension when you retire.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that there is a significant difference in actual citizenship and permanent residency. The former allows you to work in any EU country, but with 'just' p.r., you are usually restricted to the country of your spouse's citizenship (though laws do vary slightly by country).

Overall, regardless, the better jobs that your quals can get just don't come open that often. The best way in is to pay some dues in an area and make yourself known at local universities and international schools. Then when there is an opening, you'll be in line, with the local rep and contacts. There's very little turnover in the universities as the jobs are generally held by long-timers in the region with family ties. Advertisements are very often for form's sake only; a candidate is actually already selected, but legalities require an advert be run.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any job leads inside EU for American with dual citizensh Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some job leads inside Europe. My wife is French and we are wanting to move out closer to her family. Hopefully looking for something full time. I've been focusing my search in France - tracking positions for lecteur d'anglais, but I've only found 1 job opening total. We are willing to relocate in other European countries, hopefully something in the EU. I have a pretty comfortable full time ESL job right now in the USA, so I'm hesitant to make the move unless I find something just right.

About me:
I'm American with a master's in TESL, 5 years experience teaching ESL to adults inside the USA and 1 year teaching EFL with kids and adults in Korea. Also 3 years as a TOEFL rater.

Thanks for any leads!

Hi, most of the lecteurs I worked with were from the UK (positions tend to be advertised there). There were some from the USA, but they tend to get their positions through whatever university they have studied at . It's a great, and frankly, easy job (to be honest I think it should be abolished as it vastly overpays teachers with little or no experience but I suppose that's a topic for another day). I was 30 when I started, but I was also teaching a legal subject and the boss wanted to lock me in to that. All the other lecteurs were 22-24. I'm not saying it's impossible (I guess you're minimum late twenties from your experience) but, if I were moving to France again (and didn't get the lucky break I got), I'd accept that I'd have to work for Wall Street or something like that, for a few months before moving into private business school/university work). The best way to do that is to make the move first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: