Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University jobs outside of HMC and Hanoi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darzin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: University jobs outside of HMC and Hanoi Reply with quote

Does anyone know the salary and workload of the smaller universities outside of Hanoi and Saigon? I'm interested in coming to Vietnam and am looking to get a uni job, but would prefer one in a smaller city.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, universities in Vietnam rarely hire foreign teachers, at least not for full-time positions. Not saying it's impossible to find such a job, but just that you almost never see any advertised.

Living in a smaller city is a great idea as HCMC is pretty wretched and Hanoi has a notorious climate. There are more and more positions opening up in other locations nnationwide, but again you'll probably have to settle for teaching in a language center of some sort, at least to start off.
Mixal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Hanoi has a notorious climate.

Sorry, what do you mean by this?
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixal wrote:
sigmoid wrote:
Hanoi has a notorious climate.

Sorry, what do you mean by this?

Think of summers as hot and humid as you can imagine and cold, wet and very humid winters in which everything you own goes mouldy. The seasons in between seem to come and go in a flash. Factor is horrid pollution levels and you don't have the best conditions to live in.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think of summers as hot and humid as you can imagine and cold, wet and very humid winters in which everything you own goes mouldy. The seasons in between seem to come and go in a flash. Factor in horrid pollution levels and you don't have the best conditions to live in.

Thanks much for that concise explanation, kurtz.

Anyway, I forgot all about The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) an Australian-based university operating in Vietnam, with two campuses located in Ho Chi Minh City and in Hanoi.

They still hire foreign teachers don't they?

Here's a lengthy thread about them:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108064&highlight=rmit
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danang has several universities which hire foreign teachers, but the pay is quite low compared to what you can get at language centers. Usually only $15 per hour. Working at a Vietnamese University is also a massive lesson in flexibility and how much of a lack of professionalism you can handle.

There is one Western managed "unicollege" here run by the SIS umbrella company. But I don't know how much they pay.
Darzin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. So it seems universities pay on an hourly basis rather then a contract. Does anyone what the typical number of hours they will give you is?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darzin wrote:
Thanks for the responses. So it seems universities pay on an hourly basis rather then a contract. Does anyone what the typical number of hours they will give you is?

3 to 30 hours week.

Paid hourly = No fixed schedule, unreliable hours, unpaid holidays, no benefits, nada. With not much besides a low hourly rate, what is the appeal of a uni over an English center?
Darzin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently nothing. I was hoping it'd be like China where the pay is less, but you work less hours and get paid holidays. Oh well. Thanks for the information though.
TRH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
Think of summers as hot and humid as you can imagine and cold, wet and very humid winters in which everything you own goes mouldy. The seasons in between seem to come and go in a flash. Factor is horrid pollution levels and you don't have the best conditions to live in.
You mean New England? Confused
Mattingly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: University jobs outside of HMC and Hanoi Reply with quote

Darzin wrote:
Does anyone know the salary and workload of the smaller universities outside of Hanoi and Saigon? I'm interested in coming to Vietnam and am looking to get a uni job, but would prefer one in a smaller city.

The posts above by other posters are accurate, IMO.

As someone noted, Unis usually don't hire foreigners, except for IELTS speaking, for example.

The other IELTS skills are done by VNese teachers (and this can include speaking).

Generally speaking, and I consider myself to be flexible: Unis have zero resources, and often will not supply you with a textbook.

Photocopy machines (only speaking from my experience at 3 different Unis) are often old, break, and are not repaired for weeks.

I also had to pay for my own photocopying, because if I went to teach to find the photocopier broken it would ruin my lessons.

The wages are often below language centers.

The positive IMO, is that Unis offer day work, if you prefer to work days and not nights.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darzin wrote:
Apparently nothing. I was hoping it'd be like China where the pay is less, but you work less hours and get paid holidays. Oh well. Thanks for the information though.

Uni's in VN are not at all like the ones in China LOL! Laughing
Darzin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this advertising jobs at Can Tho University for the princely some of $115 a month. Rolling Eyes
TRH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Giang Univ is a lot better because they give you $200 and a bicycle.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRH wrote:
An Giang Univ is a lot better because they give you $200 and a bicycle.

I guess that helps explains why almost all Western TEFLers stick to the two major cities Shocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: