Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA with International House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: CELTA with International House Reply with quote

I am considering going to Thailand when I finish my degree this year to do a CELTA with International House. I am 36 and from the UK. Been planning this since leaving the Navy in 2012, needed my degree first.

Could anyone help with a few questions?

Do you recommend them

If I want to stay in Thailand to look for work, how much money do you recommend I save to have in my account to get me by for the CELTA month and until I find work thereafter?

Does anyone have any stories similar to mine where they went out to do their CELTA and stayed there working? It would be nice to speak to someone who has lived the experience that I am planning.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA with International House Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I am considering going to Thailand when I finish my degree this year to do a CELTA with International House. I am 36 and from the UK. Been planning this since leaving the Navy in 2012, needed my degree first.

Could anyone help with a few questions?

Do you recommend them

If I want to stay in Thailand to look for work, how much money do you recommend I save to have in my account to get me by for the CELTA month and until I find work thereafter?

Does anyone have any stories similar to mine where they went out to do their CELTA and stayed there working? It would be nice to speak to someone who has lived the experience that I am planning.

Went out at 40 with my degree in hand and just got after it.
Never bothered with the CELTA since it is largely focused on teaching adults ("Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) and the largest part of the market in Asia is primarily younger (k-12) students.

In Thailand specifically most of the jobs are Kindergarten to year 9.

The CELTA at IH Bangkok is OK. It is not much different than doing the CELTA in the Uk other than being cheaper and next to the night life.

For funds, bring as much as you can. The CELTA will run you about 1500 quid (room included for your 30 days).

Food can be as cheap as £3 per day to as much as you want to spend.
AFTER your course you will need £600/month (30k baht) until you find work and get paid. (things like temporary housing, food, printing and copy costs, phone costs, etc).

It NEVER hurts to have too much money with you. It is not like a perishable item that will go bad if you don't spend it and anything you don't spend you can leave in the bank for that "rainy day".

There will also be unexpected costs for things like a visa run, visa costs, etc.

£3000 is not an unreasonable number (if that number has to include your TEFL course) and does not include your airfare to here from home.

reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The reason I would like the CELTA though is I plan on trying different countries from year to year, maybe every two years, and I know the CELTA will open doors in most places and give me a bit more freedom. Plus I know you can also do the CELTA for Young Learners later on too.. Does this work as an add on or is that an entirely different course? Thanks for that info, very helpful.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I know you can also do the CELTA for Young Learners later on too.. Does this work as an add on or is that an entirely different course?

Take a look at CELTA YL Extension - End of year sale? on the general discussion forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: