Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS Examiner Rejection & Qualifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the move to exclusively fulltime was a market maturity issue?
With the BC opening in Wuhan they now have the right number of BC 'hubs' to run fulltimers?
Given the limited options for FTs to move from teaching to something else, while remaining in China, IELTS examining should remain in the frame, even though it seems to be repetitive and boring.
shawadywady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I wonder if the move to exclusively fulltime was a market maturity issue?

it was a legal issue - the British Council was using people (lots of people) on tourist visas for many years with tacit approval from the authorities. Unfortunately the jilted girlfriend of some idiot who had been boasting about all the cash he was making in China on a tourist visa went to the police & things got a bit uncomfortable....

this set off a desperate scramble for the BC to 'legalize' its operations but of course they didn't miss the opportunity to worsen working conditions. 95% of examiners were up in arms but bravely rolled over & signed anyway - not a lot of choice for most of them to be fair
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
That's interesting and a possibility I hadn't remotely thought of.
I suppose it is a market maturity thing in a sense that 'cowboy' doesn't hack it any more.
Best
NS
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
95% of examiners were up in arms but bravely rolled over & signed anyway - not a lot of choice for most of them to be fair

I'd say about 50% walked. I did. Best decision I've made in the last couple years.
Volver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also walked and just like The Original Prankster, it was the best decision I have made in a very long time. Many, many people did and a lot of others left after the first year. Here's why:

Met up with a buddy who went with the BC and got the full scoop. First of all, the lying bast**ds, aka the BC, repeatedly told everyone they would be making up to ¥50K per month. My buddy and his fellow examiners don't even come close to that. Then you have to back out taxes and the ¥8500 he pays each month for a not very nice apartment in BJ. OUCH! No flight or any other real perks worth a darn plus a really cr*ppy life spent on trains and planes all over northern China. He also has to pay for school for his kid. Bottom line is that he is hoping to just break even at the end of each month!!!!! What kind of a life is that, especially if you have to live here?

Just for comparison purposes, I now net far more than I did working for the BC part-time and a uni as a regular job. I teach at an international (in name only) high school and do side work. I'm also working fewer hours when you factor in the travel time I had to do with the BC. Why anybody goes with IELTS is truly beyond me.

I will give the BC credit for one thing and I think another poster alluded to it. They did not waste an opportunity to screw over their employees. They may have gotten bit in the behind by the changes they were forced to make, but it is the examiners who ultimately paid.

V
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
I also walked and just like The Original Prankster, it was the best decision I have made in a very long time. Many, many people did and a lot of others left after the first year. Here's why:

Met up with a buddy who went with the BC and got the full scoop. First of all, the lying bast**ds, aka the BC, repeatedly told everyone they would be making up to ¥50K per month. My buddy and his fellow examiners don't even come close to that. Then you have to back out taxes and the ¥8500 he pays each month for a not very nice apartment in BJ. OUCH! No flight or any other real perks worth a darn plus a really cr*ppy life spent on trains and planes all over northern China. He also has to pay for school for his kid. Bottom line is that he is hoping to just break even at the end of each month!!!!! What kind of a life is that, especially if you have to live here?

Just for comparison purposes, I now net far more than I did working for the BC part-time and a uni as a regular job. I teach at an international (in name only) high school and do side work. I'm also working fewer hours when you factor in the travel time I had to do with the BC. Why anybody goes with IELTS is truly beyond me.

I will give the BC credit for one thing and I think another poster alluded to it. They did not waste an opportunity to screw over their employees. They may have gotten bit in the behind by the changes they were forced to make, but it is the examiners who ultimately paid.

V

Actually none of that puts your friend in a particularly good light except the claims that they lied to him about potential earnings. Surely he knew before he signed up that he would have to rent a flat, pay taxes, send his kid to school and travel a lot. Otherwise he's an idiot. If they had guaranteed he would make 50k a month (which is more than double what they advertise)
then yeah it sounds like someone is spinning a yarn or two. On the other hand if they said, which sounds more likely to me, that you could potentially make 50k if they had enough candidates and you were available at the right times etc..then he doesn't really have much of a grievance.
Volver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't my intention to criticize my buddy since all the other examiners are in the same boat. I don't agree with his choice, but it is his life. The point is that given how the job is structured along with the cost of living in BJ, living a decent life and/or saving money is difficult - especially if you have a family. A single person could do just OK (assuming you can stand the boredom and live like a pauper), but there are way better jobs (from a savings standpoint) out there for the taking.

As for the BC "promising" 50K, get real. They are experts when it comes to screwing their employees and would never guarantee such a thing or put it in writing. As you said, they claimed you could make 50K depending on your availability, how much you worked, blah, blah, blah. None of it was ever put in writing, but they never missed a chance to spin that yarn. I was there, I heard it multiple times, and it just sounded too good to be true. More than a few people saw through their BS immediately.

V
auchtermuchty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
A single person could do just OK (assuming you can stand the boredom and live like a pauper), but there are way better jobs (from a savings standpoint) out there for the taking.

Do examiners really live like paupers?
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:

Sounds about right to me. The BC and their Australian equivalent IDP are way overrated. The have a monopoly on IELTS and operate arrogantly. The market should be opened up to other competitors, but the authorities aren't gonna make this easy because there are too many vested interests at stake. That aside, working for both the BC and IDP will not make you rich. The only reason to do this kind of work is to supplement another regular income. The work itself is mind numbing, especially marking the scripts. You will also never be treated as a member of the BC. You will always just be a guest on a casual contract and will often be made to feel like you unwelcome. The BC is an incestuous old boys club and it'll use you and spit you out when done with you. All I can say is don't bank on them and tread cautiously.
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right to me. The BC and their Australian equivalent IDP are way overrated. The have a monopoly on IELTS and operate arrogantly. The market should be opened up to other competitors, but the authorities aren't gonna make this easy because there are too many vested interests at stake.

Yeah, it's all the fault of the corporations man, etc...

That aside, working for both the BC and IDP will not make you rich.

Depends on how high you climb.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/17/british-council-censured-executive-pay-topping-pm-salary-without-signoff

The only reason to do this kind of work is to supplement another regular income.

Exactly, if it's a part time job, why should it make you rich? If you do it full time in China you can make a lot more than the average salary advertised for English teaching.

The work itself is mind numbing, especially marking the scripts.

Agreed but when you get proficient enough to mark a script in 5 minutes,
the hourly rate looks pretty good. It also involves no preparation/class room management etc...

You will also never be treated as a member of the BC.

You aren't a member of the BC, so why should you be treated like one? If you were asked to submit to the kind of checks/procedures full time employees of the BC are, such as job plans, line management meetings, appraisals etc... you would probably be the first one to come on here and complain about it.

You will always just be a guest on a casual contract and will often be made to feel like you unwelcome.

Don't know the details but this usually boils down to language/cultural differences and young staff working at low wages. Or someone feeling a bit entitled

The BC is an incestuous old boys club

I hear this a lot. Usually from people who don't work for them. They have pretty strict procedures in place to avoid nepotism in recruitment and a well-defined complaints system to follow up on grievances.

Just for the record I don't work for them full time but have been an IELTS tester with them for 13 years. Yes, it's been mostly monumentally dull work but I've had no complaints from the admin staff and have made enough on examining alone to buy a house outright in the UK. So no complaints from me.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Just for the record I don't work for them full time but have been an IELTS tester with them for 13 years. Yes, it's been mostly monumentally dull work but I've had no complaints from the admin staff and have made enough on examining alone to buy a house outright in the UK. So no complaints from me.

I find that hard to believe. Can you do the maths for us? Remember that the average price of a home in the UK is now almost £200,000 and £500,000 in London.
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
bograt wrote:

I find that hard to believe. Can you do the maths for us? Remember that the average price of a home in the UK is now almost £200,000 and £500,000 in London.

On average 4 sessions a month for 13 years is easily enough to buy a small semi up north. It's London and the South skewing those averages, as I'm sure you know.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'They have a monopoly on IELTS'
If I owned something I'd sure as hell want a monopoly on it!
IELTS is owned by 3 partner orgs including BC. As it (BC) is on the ground in many places as part of the British diplomatic representation* it follows that they will be the test deliverer in many cities including Chinese.
It is my understanding that BC have recently gone to full time employment of examiners with Z visas as the Chinese government frowned on casual peole using L (tourist) visas to work as examiners. I expect the turnover is too high to employ these people as permanent staffers and demand for testing is variable.
BC do a lot of stuff other than IELTS delivery and these include touring art exhibitions, ballet, music.
* includes Consulate, BC and Trade promotion.
I think that a couple of years examining would put you in good stead to apply for permanent BC positions as 'in country hires'.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
On average 4 sessions a month for 13 years is easily enough to buy a small semi up north. It's London and the South skewing those averages, as I'm sure you know.

But 4 sessions a month still doesn't work out to an awful lot and you need to live too there in China and take the much needed vacations to SE Asia to get away from the crowds and pollution. Living a western lifestyle in China isn't cheap although some manage to live like monks. Anyway, hats off to you if you've done that. Now I suppose you're saving for your retirement?
bograt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
bograt wrote:

But 4 sessions a month still doesn't work out to an awful lot and you need to live too there in China and take the much needed vacations to SE Asia to get away from the crowds and pollution. Living a western lifestyle in China isn't cheap although some manage to live like monks. Anyway, hats off to you if you've done that. Now I suppose you're saving for your retirement?

Actually it was in Korea and Hong Kong where 4 sessions work out to around 700 and 800 quid respectively. Been saving up for retirement since before IELTS from regular salary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: