Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecuador Upate on Visas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Ecuador Upate on Visas Reply with quote

Here is the latest update on types of visas for Ecuador:

http://gringosabroad.com/ecuador-pr-visa/

Regards,
PS
uniteach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are current visas take from the Embassy website in Canada.

Visas
Immigrant Visas
9-I �� Pensioners
Non Immigrant Visas
12-I �� Diplomatic
12-II �� Official
12-III �Professionals, Administrative and Private Employees
12-IV � Asylum or Refugee
12-V �� Student
12-VI � Work
12-VII Volunteer, Missionary, Religious
12-VIII Cultural Exchange
12-IX � Tourism, Commercial Activities, Other
12-X �� Temporary visitors

I was told by a consular that the Cultural Exchange Visa is the one to get if you have a job before you go. Have the employer send you paperwork, go to an embassy in person, and you have the visa in minutes.

If you enter on the Tourist Visa and get caught then it is a serious criminal offence.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all out of date.

New immigration laws were passed in January 2017, but they haven't been implemented yet, so we are currently in visa limbo. The old 9 and 12 series visas have been discontinued. Instead there will just be a temporary immigrant visa (which you can qualify for in various ways, and roughly mirrors the old 9 series immigrant visas) and a permanent immigrant visa. Everyone* will start on the temporary immigrant visa and after 21 months they can either renew once, or change to a permanent immigrant visa.

No immigrant visas are being issued right now. We are hoping for an update in mid-April with some details on exactly how all this is going to work.

(*there are a few exceptions, and also some other visa types for special circumstances and tourists).
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Everyone* will start on the temporary immigrant visa and after 21 months they can either renew once, or change to a permanent immigrant visa.

No immigrant visas are being issued right now. We are hoping for an update in mid-April with some details on exactly how all this is going to work.

(*there are a few exceptions, and also some other visa types for special circumstances and tourists).

Shouldn't have procrastinated. Ugh.

Do you know anything about investor visa? Will it still exist as a permanent visa, and is investment still $25k?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, the categories for the new temporary immigrant visa roughly mirror the old immigrant visa categories. That would include the investment option. In most cases you cannot go straight to permanent residency now, you have to be a temporary resident for a couple of years first.

Nothing has been said either way yet as to whether specific details, such as qualifying amounts or education levels, will change. However, there has been talk of significant increases to both for several years now, so it probably will happen at some point.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks a lot. I thought maybe the investor's visa was one of exceptions you mentioned, since I'd want to go on something permanent if possible. I hope they don't up the education -- I'll have an MA by then, but it will be online (w/ brick and mortar BA). Like everyone there, I'll be closely watching the elections in any case.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exceptions to bypass the temporary immigrant stage are things like marriage or being a dependent. Almost everyone else will have to be a temporary immigrant for a couple of years first, and then become permanent. Aside from being an extra hoop to jump through, it won't make much difference to people in practice. It's essentially a probationary period, which makes it easier for Ecuador to kick people out if they have been arrested, or otherwise got into trouble, soon after moving here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: