Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz Language Centre Kuwait
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in your 20s and haven't lived in other cultures before, it is not a good choice. These are tough students. Places farther east, like China, are probably better for learning classroom skills.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clapdemcheeks wrote:
I also have been offered the same job. But after reading some of these comments, I now have doubts. This will be my first paid ESL job ( I completed my CELTA in July 2015 and have three months teaching experience to adults). Based on this information, is this a good starting job for me?

Probably not the best situation for a newbie. Plus, again, Berlitz is not an employer you want on your CV if you expect to have a career in TEFL.
talktome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
clapdemcheeks wrote:
I also have been offered the same job. But after reading some of these comments, I now have doubts. This will be my first paid ESL job ( I completed my CELTA in July 2015 and have three months teaching experience to adults). Based on this information, is this a good starting job for me?

Probably not the best situation for a newbie. Plus, again, Berlitz is not an employer you want on your CV if you expect to have a career in TEFL.

I'm sorry, I disagree.
VS knows me, I'm not a recruiter.
I've worked with these students before. You're right, its a tough crowd, but it goes into the narrative, 'if you've walked a mile in these shoes...'
ANY school can be marketable. Experience is key. You might not think the school is good for ESL experience, but it might be good for ESP (English for Specific or Special Purposes) experience and that goes a long way with finding a job. If a person is diversified in their experience, then more doors open up.
I just found out that Raytheon (the overall contractor) is also giving per diem to teachers while they are in Texas, name a school that does that in addition to hotel and flight tickets? Not even the best jobs in Saudi Arabia are doing this (and they have MORE hoops to jump through than the KMoD).
Being a veteran, soldiers are difficult in general, it depends on how a teacher relates to them that matters- I had civilian instructors that were very good and those who didn't belong in their field.
As VS has said, it might not be a good place for a novice teacher, but the individual deserves to see both sides of the coin to make a decision.
Who knows, I might be here in 2 weeks writing if I had a bad experience.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talktome wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
clapdemcheeks wrote:

I'm sorry, I disagree.
VS knows me, I'm not a recruiter.
I've worked with these students before. You're right, its a tough crowd, but it goes into the narrative, 'if you've walked a mile in these shoes...'
ANY school can be marketable. Experience is key. You might not think the school is good for ESL experience, but it might be good for ESP (English for Specific or Special Purposes) experience and that goes a long way with finding a job. If a person is diversified in their experience, then more doors open up.
I just found out that Raytheon (the overall contractor) is also giving per diem to teachers while they are in Texas, name a school that does that in addition to hotel and flight tickets? Not even the best jobs in Saudi Arabia are doing this (and they have MORE hoops to jump through than the KMoD).
Being a veteran, soldiers are difficult in general, it depends on how a teacher relates to them that matters- I had civilian instructors that were very good and those who didn't belong in their field.
As VS has said, it might not be a good place for a novice teacher, but the individual deserves to see both sides of the coin to make a decision.
Who knows, I might be here in 2 weeks writing if I had a bad experience.

It's unclear if the poster was referring to the subcontracted Raytheon job you mentioned or a basic Berlitz language school position. I suspect it's the latter given his/her newbie status. Apples-n-oranges. One of my friends has Berlitz on her CV and found that some prospective employers wouldn't count that experience when considering her collective years of teaching. And she's not a newbie.
talktome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlitz took over the train wreck that is DLS.
They don't even manage it from Kuwait, but from Bahrain.
They don't have a clue for what they're in for....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: