Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of the loop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The K Dog

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Out of the loop? Reply with quote

Dear Readers,
I have a bit of a problem: I have been teaching EFL in Paris, France for the past two-and-a-half-years, have learned to speak French fluently, but I have no degree in French (BA in English Literature, M.Ed in Postsecondary TESOL), now, I would like to go back to America and be a French teacher in the secondary school system, but I don't know what to do. Even though I don't have a French degree, I speak it, and would like to teach it as I find it more stimulating than EFL, so, do you know, if (I know that regulations vary from state to state) I could teach this subject after passing a certification exam that states that I am fluent rather than getting a whole new BA and a whole new M.Ed? Someone mentioned the private school system, so, maybe that's an option, but I just fear spending six more years acquiring more degrees to teach something I already know and the time and expense that could incur. If you could help I would appreciate it.
Peace out,
K Dog
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Teaching French in the USA Reply with quote

To get my teaching credential at the age of 40 took 1.5 years full-time. Yes, I greatly enjoyed being back in college as a student. I also taught composition part-time so I wasn't completely out of the proesssional loop.

My BA and MFA were in Rhetoric (writing), and there was no credential in writing. So I had to take English literature courses to get a credential in English.

If you go for a credential program, you'd obviously have a French placement exam. Then you pass that and take the teaching coursework program and student teaching. THEN you have more opportunities to teach at schools around the world - as EFL and French.

If you go to a good school and convince the Education Dept. that you've had a lot of teaching experience, you can cut the student teaching down from a semester to a few months. I did that - then the Education Dept. Head died.... and I had to re-convince the new guy. Rather than student teach for just one month as originally planned, I had to student teach two months, but not the full semester.

It's not that painful! It's a good investment. Sometimes I think I should have gotten a Masters in Linguistics, but mosts USA schools seemed two-year programs. However, in the UK, such Masters can be done in one-year programs.

The credential program in the USA is strict. It's an educational reform action so the USA isn't littered with many (not all!) Korean-like EFL teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: