Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Asia as an Asian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Teaching in Asia as an Asian Reply with quote

Hi, this may be an odd question, but I was wondering if there are any Asians here who have taught in Asia, specifically SE Asia. I have been told of potential prejudice and of schools wanting a "white face" for teachers. Would I be better off in some countries as opposed to others/would I need more credentials to prove myself? I am a Chinese female and I have a Bachelor's degree and a TESL certificate, unfortunately with no experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What passport(s) do you hold? That's how you should identify yourself to employers rather than by your ethnicity if you're Canadian, American... However, discrimination is a reality.
fpmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Canadian citizen, born and raised. Never even been to Asia... which is probably adding to my nervousness. Aghh.

My eye has been on Thailand for the longest time but now I am considering Vietnam and Japan for a better chance of paying off student loans. So far applications have been sent through Oxford Seminars to Thailand and Vietnam.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpmonkey wrote:
I am a Canadian citizen, born and raised. Never even been to Asia... which is probably adding to my nervousness. Aghh.

My eye has been on Thailand for the longest time but now I am considering Vietnam and Japan for a better chance of paying off student loans. So far applications have been sent through Oxford Seminars to Thailand and Vietnam.

Then you are Canadian - full stop.

Canadian passport, Canadian degree, Canadian education = Canadian.

You are NOT (when looking for jobs) a Chinese-Canadian.

Forget about "Oxford Seminars". They won't do you any favors.

If you want to work in Thailand then buy a ticket and get over here.
The new term starts in May and the hiring season has started.
Bring your degree, a few copies (sealed) of your transcripts and a police check. Land in late April and you'll be working by May but paying off student loans will be problematic (low wages).

IF you want Vietnam then start applying to everyone.
Don't limit yourself to any one recruiter.
You'll need the stock documents (degree, transcripts and RCMP check).

The same is true for Cambodia, Taiwan, Laos and China.

Good luck on Japan. You might want to look at the JET program.

You might also want to look at EPIK or GEPIK in Korea. They are pretty color blind (hagwons are not) and will give you a chance to pay down those loans. http://www.epik.go.kr/

sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't worry about it. It should, for the most part, be a non-issue.

Also, as Suphanburi mentioned, get online and search out ads for teaching jobs. Contact some schools that look interesting and see what they say.

This site has a job list and there are many many more:

http://eslcafe.com/joblist/

You should take note of Thailand's current political situation and the issues involving the royal succession that may likely occur some time in the "near future".

You should also be aware of the slight anti-Chinese sentiment in Vietnam.

I wouldn't let things like this deter you but do spend some time reading up on current events in the region.

Anyway, there are numerous opportunities and keep in mind that although there's no perfect place, it's pretty easy to pack up and try somewhere else if things aren't working out.

Finally, as a female, if you can teach kids, you will be golden.
fpmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your responses. They have been very helpful. I will be looking into job positions myself and doing some research too. Makes sense haha. Knowing that it is easy to relocate makes things a lot better too.

I have just been offered a potential position for schools associated with Teaching Abroad (Thailand) in/near Lopburi. Does anyone have any input on the company? I assume it also varies with the schools as they seem to have many locations. This was connected to me by Oxford (and yes, I've been reading a lot about how useless it is haha so I am aware).

Thank you again! I am taking in all the points that have been given. And my ideal position is with children, so that is good too. Smile
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I highly recommend Teaching Abroad for Thailand jobs. Lopburi is a very nice city to teach in...nearby there are many temples and the people are very hospitable towards foreigners. You will really enjoy your time here in the land Of Smiles....plenty of Thai children to teach English too....I believe they pay around Baths 35,000/Monthly + free accomodation. Welcome to Amazing Lopburi Very Happy
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I'd say that only the worst schools wouldn't employ someone based on their look.

My question is, why do you want to teach English as a way to pay off your student loan? Wages in general are low for EFL, especially in SE Asia. Most people think $500/month is good savings which isn't going to make much of an impact on your loans.

Why not start your career in your chosen field? In most cases, having taught EFL is not exactly a high point on your CV if you want to change fields of work.
fpmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean that I intend to have teaching pay off my loans faster. If I can save at least 300$-400$ a month it would be enough as it is the minimum needed to pay it off. I am mainly doing this for life experience, as are most people, I assume. Also, my major was in Anthropology and as a Bachelor's degree it's not going to do much in terms of work. I went into it for the knowledge anyway.

But yes, you have a very good point about prejudice only existing in bad schools in the first place. Thank you. Smile

And for EFL Educator, thank you for your input! Unfortunately the pay is about 30 000 which may be a bit on the low end. I will keep looking.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Korea. EPIK is color blind.
Jobs include airfare and housing.
2.1 million krw = $2300 CAD/month (plus airfare, housing, pension, medical and severance).

You can still get by comfortably and pay off a huge chunk of your loans in a few short years. Short term pain (3 years), long term gain (the rest of your life with no student loans hanging over your head).

MOD EDIT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: