Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upskilling & finding the better teaching positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Upskilling & finding the better teaching positions Reply with quote

To all of you more experienced and knowledgeable folk here on Dave's, I just want to seek some advice and/or suggestions with regard to this post's subject:
In a nutshell, I am a relative newbie in my second year teaching but I have recently decided that I want to stick at it for the foreseeable future. So, what are the best options for me to better my teaching credentials? I know obtaining a teaching license from my home country is the best way into the better international school job, but besides this?

About me:
Mid-30s
BSc.
Many years of experience in industry (inc. Research/Training/Technical/Management)
Instructor skills certifications
TESOL (i-i 120hr)
2 years teaching Science in China (Primary)

Location/Goal:
Currently in China and would like to stay here for another year or two.
In the future I would like to teach in SE Asia and possibly Japan.
Considering the above, how strong are my teaching credentials at the moment? What is a logical next step in your opinion?

(I would like to continue to teach Science (at primary level), preferably at an International school. Will the fact that I don't have a teaching license from my home country rule me out for a lot of these positions in SEA and beyond?)

Any advice / feedback would be much appreciated.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A one year, post grad, professional teaching certificate is obviously the way to move up if you want to stay in mainstream classrooms.
An MA-Teaching / M.Ed will also work well.

An MATESOL, M.ED TEFL, (or related) will get you a foot on the ladder to the tertiary sector. They will also give you options beyond teaching "English" such as "teaching 'Teaching English as a Foreign Language", all of the applied linguistics topics, etc. It will also open the door into research, publications and presentations.

Alternatively, a CELTA/DELTA will put you on track for work in the private education sector (language centers). This will take, depending on the time you have available, about 6 months to complete.

getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi, thank you for the very informative response Smile

Either way I need to think long and hard about my next step. Going back to get full home country teaching registration is not a viable option for me at the moment.

I have considered the CELTA/DELTA but opinion seems divided as to it's true value. Would this investment be worthwhile in your opinion, considering I have no plan to work in private education (language mills) and would ideally like to continue to teach Science?

Thanks again, much appreciated!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:

I have considered the CELTA/DELTA but opinion seems divided as to it's true value. Would this investment be worthwhile in your opinion, considering I have no plan to work in private education (language mills) and would ideally like to continue to teach Science?

Not really, as has been said, if you want to improve your options in schools, you need to get licensed.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:

As HLJHLJ said, the CELTA or DELTA will not help you to continue to teach science, since they are for teaching English. If you want to continue teaching science, you need to have certification for teaching science. For reputable international schools, that will mean home-country licensure/certification. I'm not sure where in the world you are from, but I know there are some options in the US for online teacher certification (google alternative teacher certification online for some programs).

The other thing to think about is that many reputable schools will also want you to have home-country teaching experience. You mentioned that you are interested in Japan. International schools in Japan will require home-country certification and at least 2 years of full-time school teaching experience in your home country, with some requiring at least 5 years.

However, there are some schools in SEA that are 'international' in name only, and wouldn't necessarily require home-country certification or home-country experience.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:

No.

Ideally, if you want to stay mainstream then a:
    post grad certificate in education (PGCE),
    Diploma in Teaching (DipT),
    Dip.Ed

or similar are the route to take (even if you don't acquire home country licensure). They usually take about 1 year and can often be done evenings and/or weekends in many countries (outside of your home country).

An alternative is always to take an M.Ed in a teaching related field or in a science (if your background is in a science).
Again, there are often course options for the required coursework so you can continue to stay employed during the coursework period.

- A thesis plan would be needed if you want to move further into academia.
- A coursework/comprehensive exam route would be acceptable if you have no plan to do a PhD.

In higher academia there is a lot to be said for doing your study in a country that is NOT your home country.
Don't let the ethnocentric nay-sayers here tell you otherwise.

At post graduate levels nobody cares about your grades or coursework after you have graduated. It is more about your research, publications, presentations and networking (and having actually received the pretty wallpaper from a uni).

getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi, thank you again,
I have read some of the objective advice that you have given others on here also and you really are a mind of information.

I will not be getting home country licensure. The archaic rule highlighted in bold below being the main reason btw.

Primary teachers

Primary school teachers must be qualified to teach the range of primary school subjects to children aged 4 to 12 years. To qualify as a primary school teacher, you must have completed one of the following:
•A recognised full-time degree programme, leading to the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree
•A recognised Professional Masters in Education (Primary)
A list of recognised colleges providing approved programmes is available on the website of the Teaching Council of Ireland.
Irish language requirements: Primary school teachers must be able to teach the Irish language and the range of primary school subjects through Irish
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Archaic" ? It is there for a good reason.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your point Scot, it's just personal frustration.
I do not meet entry requirements due to the fact that I didn't do higher level Irish for my leaving cert exam 20 years ago (when I had no interest in teaching at the time)!
If I really wanted to, I could go and get a Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge to satisfy the required but that won't be happening. I will take a different route Smile
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion; go to the Middle East and save money for two or three years, then do an MA in TESOL or other in a good university in the UK and then look at your options overseas.

Hang on, what's stopping you doing a PGCE or equivalent in a country other than the ROI?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: