Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best options in Europe for teaching in public schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnj287

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Best options in Europe for teaching in public schools? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the middle of a three year plan to teach in Asia, South America, and Europe. I'm nearing the end of my year in China, and in June I'm heading to Colombia to do a 9 month program there. After a truly horrible experience at an Eikaiwa in Japan and having such a good time at a primary school here in Shenzhen, I've decided that I only want to teach in public schools, in a true educational environment with regular kids. I'll be doing that in Colombia, but I'm also doing some future planning as well, so I was wondering what the general opinions are of the best possible options for teaching ESL in public schools in Europe? I'm really not in this for the money, but rather as a experience (still, I'd like to have enough so I can eat properly and maybe get a beer here and then). Eastern block is fine with me.

Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best options in Europe for teaching in public schools? Reply with quote

johnj287 wrote:
I was wondering what the general opinions are of the best possible options for teaching ESL in public schools in Europe?

Most likely zilch since nationals teach in those roles. Regardless, in addition to your nationality, what are your qualifications (i.e., degree/major, TEFL training, teaching license/qualification, and experience)?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nomadsoul says, in this region schoolchildren are generally taught by qualified locals. Getting a job in a regular state school is quite rare. I know of one volunteer program in Hungary (it doesn't pay).

International school jobs are often held by native English speakers, but you need serious qualifications to get these (PCGE, teaching license + experience in your home country).

Most newbie level work in this region is teaching businesspeople at their places of work, and some kiddie stuff in an after-school setting. There are a few kindergartens around that hire native English speakers, but not many.

If you are not an EU member citizen, you are legally restricted to Central/Eastern Europe and Germany, where it's possible to freelance as a non-EU citizen. Read on the Germany board for more info.

You will need a CELTA or equivalent to get anything at all in this region of the world, and your experience in Asia and LA will not wow employers - expect to be treated as a newbie.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, johnj287,

Take a look at CETP, Central European Teaching Program. They place English teachers in public schools, both elementary and high school, in Hungary. The pay is the same as paid to local teachers, a subsistence level salary. Teachers also receive housing, all utilities, and health insurance. The downside is a fairly large placement fee. It's not for everyone, but since you are specifically looking to work in public schools, there are very limited possibilities, as others have already mentioned.

https://www.cetp.info/index.htm

Spain has a government program which places native English speakers in public schools as teaching assistants. I think you have to speak at least basic Spanish to qualify, but since you'll be in Colombia for 9 months. . . Very Happy And France has a similar program.

http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/dms/consejerias-exteriores/eeuu/auxiliaresusa/FAQ_2015_Dec-14-2014.pdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: