Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transitioning into the EFL field (Myanmar)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnzaExo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Transitioning into the EFL field (Myanmar) Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been considering moving to Myanmar as an English teacher. I traveled through the country earlier this year and was absolutely fascinated by the people and their culture.

I understand I will need to get my tefl certification which is not a problem, though I am having trouble writing my resume for an efl position. I'm a US citizen that graduated from a well-known university in California around a year and a half ago. I majored in economics and have nearly two years of combined internship and work experience (financial services). Although I don't have any professional teaching experience, I've always found I had a knack for presentations and speaking in front of people. My first question is, how would you recommend structuring my resume for an efl position without any direct experience?

Points of emphasis on my resume so far are:
My education, traveling through Myanmar extensively, finance/economics work experience

Also, I was wondering the feasibility of opening my own English/mathematics/business/computer specialized private school. Is this common among foreign teachers? Or do they typically teach somewhere for a year or two and move on to another location. I understand that I will need to learn some Burmese and find good local partners to work with.

Thirdly, which tefl certification do you recommend? 120 hours seems to be the best choice, should I work towards tesol as well? Other than eslcafe do you know of a good website to find teaching opportunities in Myanmar?

If I can't find the right opportunity online I would have no problem entering the country on a tourist visa and searching "door to door" for a position, I was offered multiple jobs while traveling through the country and know there is a lot of opportunity to be had. I would really rather arrange a contract and accommodation online before entering the country though.

If any of you are currently working in Myanmar I would love to learn more about your experience. I would appreciate any advice you guys have =)

Thanks!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transitioning into the EFL field (Myanmar) Reply with quote

AnzaExo wrote:
Hello,

I've been considering moving to Myanmar as an English teacher. I traveled through the country earlier this year and was absolutely fascinated by the people and their culture.

I understand I will need to get my tefl certification which is not a problem, though I am having trouble writing my resume for an efl position. I'm a US citizen that graduated from a well-known university in California around a year and a half ago. I majored in economics and have nearly two years of combined internship and work experience (financial services). Although I don't have any professional teaching experience, I've always found I had a knack for presentations and speaking in front of people. My first question is, how would you recommend structuring my resume for an efl position without any direct experience?

Points of emphasis on my resume so far are:
My education, traveling through Myanmar extensively, finance/economics work experience

Also, I was wondering the feasibility of opening my own English/mathematics/business/computer specialized private school. Is this common among foreign teachers? Or do they typically teach somewhere for a year or two and move on to another location. I understand that I will need to learn some Burmese and find good local partners to work with.

Thirdly, which tefl certification do you recommend? 120 hours seems to be the best choice, should I work towards tesol as well? Other than eslcafe do you know of a good website to find teaching opportunities in Myanmar?

If I can't find the right opportunity online I would have no problem entering the country on a tourist visa and searching "door to door" for a position, I was offered multiple jobs while traveling through the country and know there is a lot of opportunity to be had. I would really rather arrange a contract and accommodation online before entering the country though.

If any of you are currently working in Myanmar I would love to learn more about your experience. I would appreciate any advice you guys have =)

Thanks!

Short answers to your questions:

1) Don't sweat the resume. You have what it takes: white face, US passport, degree. Fly in, get a job, do your visa run and you're off to the races.

2) No, you won't be opening up a language (or any other kind) of school any time soon. There are SIGNIFICANT restrictions on foreign owned small businesses and the one thing you do not want to do is co-invest with a local (unless you want to turn $100k into $10k in a hurry).

3) In SE Asia the brand with the best recognition (and quality control) is the CELTA. The Trinity cert TESOL or SIT cert TESOL are also highly regarded.

Anything else is just 2nd best and you'd be just as well off spending an hour at your computer printing off one of your own TEFL certs as you would paying for a cheap course.

AnzaExo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your reply, thanks for the advice.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chased you down from the Newbie Forum. It would be best not to jump into the ESL world without giving it some thought. With that in mind it might be best to forego a TEFL Certificate and pursuit a Master's Degree in Education that includes a licensing component. The licensing component at the school that I am familiar with is included in the Elementary Education Masters, but of course there are different Universities. The problem is TEFL's CELTA's even TESOL's are becoming very common in the ESL teaching field, almost a dime a dozen. Along with a degree it will get you a job in SE Asia, but not one where you will get much respect nor treated well in, or for that matter paid well - and whether or not they like CELTA's or TESOL's isn't going to change that. Your fascination with Myanmar is easy to understand. When I was in Thailand I was fascinated with the culture also. If you have ever read the "Culture Shock" books, I'm sure there is one on Myanmar, your fascination with the culture may remain, but you will likely become disenfranchised with having to live in the country after around 6 months or so of teaching and being in the country. That is why it is best to be flexible in the area of Education. It is best to enter the field with more credentials and if you like teaching there great, if not you can come back and teach in your own country for a while get more experience teaching in your country and come back to Asia and if you have enough experience get a better job perhaps at an International School, beware there are a lot of fake International Schools out there. At any rate plan for the long term, and don't put all your eggs into one basket, you will be better off, believe me.
AnzaExo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
I chased you down from the Newbie Forum. It would be best not to jump into the ESL world without giving it some thought. With that in mind it might be best to forego a TEFL Certificate and pursuit a Master's Degree in Education that includes a licensing component. The licensing component at the school that I am familiar with is included in the Elementary Education Masters, but of course there are different Universities. The problem is TEFL's CELTA's even TESOL's are becoming very common in the ESL teaching field, almost a dime a dozen. Along with a degree it will get you a job in SE Asia, but not one where you will get much respect nor treated well in, or for that matter paid well - and whether or not they like CELTA's or TESOL's isn't going to change that. Your fascination with Myanmar is easy to understand. When I was in Thailand I was fascinated with the culture also. If you have ever read the "Culture Shock" books, I'm sure there is one on Myanmar, your fascination with the culture may remain, but you will likely become disenfranchised with having to live in the country after around 6 months or so of teaching and being in the country. That is why it is best to be flexible in the area of Education. It is best to enter the field with more credentials and if you like teaching there great, if not you can come back and teach in your own country for a while get more experience teaching in your country and come back to Asia and if you have enough experience get a better job perhaps at an International School, beware there are a lot of fake International Schools out there. At any rate plan for the long term, and don't put all your eggs into one basket, you will be better off, believe me.

I have been thinking about the transition a lot. I understand your point that the CELTA may be a "dime a dozen" right now in the esl market. However, from the feedback I've received from language centers/schools in Myanmar, they are interested in me but require that I have the CELTA. So maybe you're right it is still suitable for entry level roles, but has limitations for making a comfortable long-term path. At this point I'm pretty much convinced that I'm the type of person that wants to live overseas for at least the next couple years. Myanmar is my first choice, I would also love to live in Hong Kong or Iran if I burn out on Myanmar. I really don't see how any other line of work could allow me to live in all these amazing places given my little experience. I don't know if going after a MA in education would be realistic right now for me in terms of time and costs ... Down the line, after some time teaching I should know if getting the MA will be suitable for me.

Thanks for the book recommendation btw
bacasper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of heading there, too. What are some good sites to look for teaching jobs in Myanmar, and what can one expect in terms of hours, salary, conditions, etc., with appropriate credentials, that is (i.e., degree, CELTA, experience)?
AnzaExo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacasper wrote:
I'm thinking of heading there, too. What are some good sites to look for teaching jobs in Myanmar, and what can one expect in terms of hours, salary, conditions, etc., with appropriate credentials, that is (i.e., degree, CELTA, experience)?

From the feedback I've received so far from schools in Myanmar, the CELTA is most recommended. I've been looking mainly through Facebook and basic Google searches to find English language centers and academies. International schools will probably pay the most but I'm looking to work with adults or secondary students. Having an undergraduate degree and being a native speaker will of course be helpful in getting the initial job. I'm planning on taking the CELTA in BKK very soon and then jumping into Myanmar. If you'd like, PM me and we can stay in touch and help each other out with this.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myanmar s the same ias its neighboor the Land of Smiles Thighland when it comes to salary....lexpect to earn around US 1,000 - $1,500/Month...and remember you will have to share an apartment or flat with one of your esteemed colleagues that is the catch....you will have no privacy....jump in the EFL bandwagon to Myanmar!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
AnzaExo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Myanmar s the same ias its neighboor the Land of Smiles Thighland when it comes to salary....lexpect to earn around US 1,000 - $1,500/Month...and remember you will have to share an apartment or flat with one of your esteemed colleagues that is the catch....you will have no privacy....jump in the EFL bandwagon to Myanmar!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

What's your source? You sound jaded lol.
guobaoyobro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnzaExo wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:

What's your source? You sound jaded lol.

Honestly, Take anything EFL Educator says with a grain of salt. Basically, every single post I have seen has been a blanket general knowledge statement that ends with "something something enjoy your time in (country) *smileyface* A quick poke around the Thailand board and you'll get the gist of what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: