Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools with frequent classes (at least 3x/week)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OzBurn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Schools with frequent classes (at least 3x/week)? Reply with quote

I have interviewed at several schools now, and have job offers that I'm still considering; but I would much prefer a school that teaches students three times to five times a week rather than once a week for three hours (or twice a week for three hours at a stretch each time, with one of the classes taught by a Vietnamese teacher). Three-hour classes are counterproductive -- students forget too much between classes, get tired after the first hour, and find it difficult to establish a solid relationship with their teacher. So, can anyone point me to a school that has something like a normal schedule?

Thanks for your help.
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Three hour classes Reply with quote

One has to agree with OzBurn about the disadvantage of teaching a 3 hour class versus one that meets several times a week.

When you are new to Vietnam you will generally work the shift that other teachers no longer want to teach (yes - the 3 hour Sat. morning classes). Once you have been here for a while, you will get the better schedule of classes meeting several times a week.

For a three hour class - plenty of variety is necessary so the students don`t get bored. You can mix conversation, reading and writing tasks within those three hours. Make sure that everyone is involved, and try to get the students to speak as much about things that are meaningful to them. Give them a small grammar base and then try to put that grammar base into a realistic context...
NipponPoke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: numbers Reply with quote

Just curious...how many students are generally in the class? Are we talking a large group here?
OzBurn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools seem to typically have 20-25 students per class. I taught one very small class of young children, but I think that is a case of low enrollment rather than planning for small classes.
OzBurn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that it is perhaps not so easy to have a variety of tasks, as at the schools I have visited, and where I am now teaching, foreign teachers are expected to teach conversation and pronunciation, with some vocabulary. The syllabus is usually quite rigid and teachers are expected to be responsible for their area, and only their area. Maybe that is different somewhere else. I would much rather teach only my own class, but that doesn't seem to be the system here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: