Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it still the norm to find work in person?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Is it still the norm to find work in person? Reply with quote

I've never been to Vietnam, so I'm a bit lost here. I'd love any advice as a newbie. My plan is to rent a room in Hanoi from AirBnB, book a flight, land, and find some sort of steady pay by the end of the week. I don't want to go through the hassle of the work permit as I wish to leave soon and don't want to commit myself to a full year unless I have to. I'm fine with a backpacker school. I just want to know that there are certainly jobs available. Is it like Korea where there's a language academy on every corner?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is it still the norm to find work in person? Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
I've never been to Vietnam, so I'm a bit lost here. I'd love any advice as a newbie. My plan is to rent a room in Hanoi from AirBnB, book a flight, land, and find some sort of steady pay by the end of the week. I don't want to go through the hassle of the work permit as I wish to leave soon and don't want to commit myself to a full year unless I have to. I'm fine with a backpacker school. I just want to know that there are certainly jobs available. Is it like Korea where there's a language academy on every corner?

Yes. Especially in Hanoi, as it's considered an undesirable city to live and teach in. Just join the Hanoi Massive or Hanoi Teaching Jobs facebook groups. New jobs being posted every day, and generally their only requirements for $20 per hour is that you have a pulse.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Hanoi really that bad?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long, hot, humid summers. And long, cold, damp winters where none of your clothes will really dry, and all your fabrics will get moldy. Smog filled skies. Small, congested streets. Massive concrete jungle of constant horns...

It's just my personal opinion, but I hated Hanoi.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Is Hanoi really that bad?

Hanoi, as a visitor, can be a fascinating city with an abundance of French colonial architecture, beautiful temples, interesting backstreets, and very good street food.

Hanoi, for the expat, is a seedy, corrupt and scam-ridden city full of thieves, scummy, heavy-drinking, dirty girl chasing EFL teachers and wanabee artists; a veritable wasteland of humanity. It has appalling weather and pollution. Not to mention it's a belching, over-populated hell-hole full of noisy motorbikes and the nouveau rich who have no respect for seemingly anyone. The locals are mostly from the provinces and wouldn't know what manners are if you belted them on the head with a stick. They look at you like you're an ATM and think nothing of ripping you off.

If you're staying less than a year, you'll have a blast, though.

I enjoyed my first year there and then things went south as the novelty wore off and I saw it for what it really is - a shitehole.
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-12 months in Hanoi? OK. Plusses will balance the minuses. Longer and it could really start to grate.

The climate is the main non-negotionable. You could keep yourself to yourself and avoid many of the other hassles and if you are shrewd you will be a hard mark for scammers so they will leave you alone.

But the weather and pollution cannot be avoided or much mitigated.
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to find a job in person in HCMC quickly?

How long does it generally take?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible to find a job in person in HCMC quickly?

How long does it generally take?

It's possible to find work in a week or less during the peak season which is starting soon. Nowadays, you can find schools online, check out their ads, correspond by e-mail, skype, etc and set up interviews upon arrival. Don't agree to anything until you get there though.

Of course, it depends on your appearance, personality, experience and qualifications. But in HCMC, you're still likely to find something (bottom of the barrel) within a month regardless of how hire-able you are.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. How does HCMC compare to Hanoi in this regard?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to the lifestyle:

"Night life" in HCMC:

https://youtu.be/nLwKlFZ1i1w

Walking in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with heavy traffic!

https://youtu.be/kcWhlBDJlMI

The job situations in Hanoi and HCMC are similar, but they are more schools in HCMC due to its higher population.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: