Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No schools for old men
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 51, been in Chiang Mai for two years on a retirement visa. I, too, like to teach, and I like to teach Math(s). I've been interested in a "jobby." not interested in working 50 hours per week for 850 USD per month. My visa sates "employment prohibited," and that actually includes volunteering. WPs for part timers are almost impossible. If I were 10 years younger, i would be in Cambodia, because the younger people are still having tons of problems with visas. If they really needed you; they would change the rules/laws (in your favor), as opposed to just changing them, like the wind.
Play golf, trade stocks, bet on sports....it pays better, and the Thai government won't have their nose/hand in your affairs.

I think the fundamental reason that working as a foreign teacher here is flawed is because they really can't justify giving you a raise, when you are already making more than double the Thai teachers.
I live 1 block from CMU. Super nice students, thousands of beauty queens, good neighbors, good manners.....seems like it would be an ideal place to work....it's just not worth the paperwork headaches.

A friend of mine likes teaching in Colombia...he's 63.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have friends in Chiang Mai....on retirement visas....teachng English to subsidize their low pensions...some of them are in their 70's....and even 80's! Shocked Shocked
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, many working illegally, and not making things better for those, who refuse to. The people with the pensions that don't meet the standard (65,000 THB per month) nor have 800K in a Thai Bank, are starting to be scrutinized more at extension time.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many EFL schools opening up the Land of Smiles...especially in ISAAN....that only employ those Falang over 60 years old. Must be a sign of these desperate financial times. Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay in Isan is excellent at around $700 US. I would really enjoy working at one of those schools.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that in ISAAN there is no age limit for teaching EFL.....funtastic news for the elderly and semi-retirees..especially those who are married with Thai wives and receiving their EFL pensions! Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
I understand that in ISAAN there is no age limit for teaching EFL.....funtastic news for the elderly and semi-retirees..especially those who are married with Thai wives and receiving their EFL pensions! Smile

No age limit for teaching but there is an age limit for your work permit, provisional teacher's permit (for those who are unlicensed) or teacher's license. 60 and you hit a ceiling.

If you have graduate level qualifications and are teaching at the uni level then there is no practical age limit other than being dead.

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it, or not; pay in Isaan is equal or better than pay in Chiang Mai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: