Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone worked in Azerbaijan, Baku?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Anyone worked in Azerbaijan, Baku? Reply with quote

How is the experience on these 6 month contracts with places like Language Solutions, etc?
mrenglish2nd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this some years ago; I guess nothing much has changed.

I'm a little late for the original post, but nevertheless: I worked in Azerbaijan from July 2008 to July 2009 for Language Services Direct; as far as I know they are still in business. They had a contract with BP to train Azeris, who were steadily taking over the oil operation. Baku sits on land that juts into the Caspian Sea, is on the dry side, windy windy, hot in summer and coolish in winter, can snow. Though it is small, the country has many biomes, grows most of its own food, has many good places to vacation. It was part of the Soviet Union from 1921 to 1991 and in spite of being superficially Shiite Muslim vodka can be bought in ANY shop. The Caucasus Mountains separate Azerbaijan from Russia and it sits where central Asia, Europe, and the Middle East meet. The flavor to me was more Middle Eastern. The educated in Baku (Baki in the local language) speak Russian better than they speak Azeri, but in the sticks many people do not speak Russian. There is a move to bring the language back to the front, and while I was there Russian was banned from local television stations and newspapers. The president is a scumbag and corruption reigns; the airport can be a hassle and beware of bringing excess baggage. If you wear shorts in hot weather the locals will think (pretend they think?, whatever their problem is) you are gay, but you can wear them anyway and ignore them; I did. But mostly they are a decent lot, honest and straightforward, aside from their national mental health problem with respect to Armenia; don't talk to them about that; wikipedia has a good entry on the subject of the war they fought in the 90s.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Job in Baku (Don't expect a rush) Reply with quote

I can't imagine they'll be pounding on this employer's door.

TRC Colleges
8 hour working day
Saturdays include but shorter hours
1 hour lunch break - lunch provided
Job term - October 2017 - July 2018 (renewable)

Accommodation: 250 AZN per month provided by the company to cover part of the costs;
Net salary of USD700 per month.
Company will cover all the costs related to work permit (1100 AZN per year approx.)
Return flights at beginning and end of contract
Partizan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Job in Baku (Don't expect a rush) Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
I can't imagine they'll be pounding on this employer's door.

TRC Colleges
8 hour working day
Saturdays include but shorter hours
1 hour lunch break - lunch provided
Job term - October 2017 - July 2018 (renewable)

Accommodation: 250 AZN per month provided by the company to cover part of the costs;
Net salary of USD700 per month.
Company will cover all the costs related to work permit (1100 AZN per year approx.)
Return flights at beginning and end of contract

They will get suckers like Moscow gets cold winters.
dolfin16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds dreadful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: