Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kazakhstan & Universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Kazakhstan & Universities Reply with quote

In Kazakhstan do you need a masters degree to teach English (at a University) like western Europe or is there an option that is more like the Middle East where bachelor degree holders can teach ESL with a certificate?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Gazoo
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kazakhstan & Universities Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
In Kazakhstan do you need a masters degree to teach English (at a University) like western Europe or is there an option that is more like the Middle East where bachelor degree holders can teach ESL with a certificate?

That minimum BA applies to just KSA and Oman gigs via contracting companies; a TEFL-related MA is standard in the rest of the GCC.

Anyway, the English-medium universities in Kazakhstan seem to require an MA.
kazpat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad soul is correct, for the English-medium universities an MA seems to be the norm. I have heard of BA + cert holders at other universities but not the top ones.
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS might be right about KSA and Oman but the other Gulf countries offer a great many opportunities at private colleges. Examples such as Kuwait Technical College and then the oil companies.

It looks like BA holders, in Kazakhstan, only have the option of working at a private conversation like company. Is this correct?

Gazoo,
kazpat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to KZ, I know nothing about the Gulf / Middle East. In regards to the limitations of only having a BA in Kazakhstan. It depends is the best answer I can give. BA with with a teaching license or PGCE, there are some great secondary opportunities available. BA with cert and EAP experience, you might get a job with a decent university. BA with a DELTA, maybe an oil company or university that advertises MA only but may be willing to give you a look, etc. A lot depends on the city, a lot depends on who you know, or rather who knows you.
Darzin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the salary typically like at a Kazakh university?
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And which universities employ foreigners as ESL teachers? Only private nouveau riche, or also government in Kazakhstan?
And where is the place to find ads for academic tertiary jobs in Russia and her ex-republics?
balqis
kazpat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that we had private nouveau riche universities here. Anyway KBTU has an add right now on a popular TEFL website, the salary is indicated. NU advertises on their website and on higher ed jobs.

I guess this is as good a place as any to write this. If you have good credentials and or a teaching license it is fairly easy to get a good job in Kazakhstan. The people that I know that have been successful and landed amazing jobs even without stellar credentials are people like me.

We came as an ESL teacher or classroom teacher at an international school. We stayed a while, got to know people, improved out credentials, and learned the language (some of us). If your are semi-competent, not a whiner but not a pushover, learn the culture and can handle some level of ambiguity then Kazakhstan is a great place for a teacher.

Opportunities are available that are not on websites or advertised anywhere else. I tripled my salary at my first language center when I signed my second contract because I got to know the kids, the parents and conducted myself properly in the eyes of the school.

My current position is a dream job. But between my arrival and now there were numerous professional development courses, renewing my state teaching cert., a masters, hundreds of hours of class, hundreds of photos / selfies and me not being a jerk to people, learning Kazakh very well, learning Russian okay, learning when to pick my battles and when to shut up and a genuine effort to understand and respect the culture and people.

If you are willing to put in the time and work, anything here is possible. Think of every job add and salary / benefits as entry level. It can go much higher depending on your skills, work ethic, personality and patience. I think the above template probably fits for many countries but I can promise it works here.

One other thing about KZ, that BS in some asian countries about parents or kids not wanting a black or dark skinned teacher doesn't happen here. No white face required. It is one of the most accepting cultures of different races that I have ever experienced or heard of. In fact, the diversity of the nation is a point of extreme pride among the Kazakh people.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer. It does say a lot, probably more than unintended by you. I find your description quite hard to come to terms with, I mean personally.
Both unis you mention as advertising are nouveau riche, btw.

balqis
kazpat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine told me universities in Almaty pay anywhere from 1500 - 2000 USD, some with or without housing. He has a MATESOL.

Last edited by kazpat on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Americans with a TEFL-related MA and a few years of experience, there's the ELF program.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, kazpat, but can you get employed by Kazakhstan government unis as foreign ESL faculty, is there such a trend, or only in the nouveau riche educational establishments, not everyone would risk working for?
kazpat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis, forgive me, this "nouveau riche" term is getting me a bit hung up, the whole negative connotation thing is what is confusing me. I'll do my best to answer your question.

With the exception of NU, I am not aware of any public universities that have the ability to hire a large number of foreign ESL teachers. NU folks, from what I know have MATESOL or MEd. and many have DELTA to go along with the graduate degree. So yes, for people with those qualification the trend exists. For other public universities, I usually see the trend toward teaching fellows as was referenced in this thread.

I know there are private universities that have been established since independence, however, to the best of my knowledge there is not a large risk associated in working for them. Again, this is to the best of my limited knowledge, most of what I know is secondary ed. and I have only met about 5 or 6 teachers from these private universities.

Maybe you could enlighten us on the risks associated with these universities? It may be of help to fellow board members. I will certainly ask a couple teachers I know with recent experience.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kazpat, for your answer. I more or less get the picture from what you are writing. I don't want to discuss politics here, so I used the term which I used, quite well known in post-soviet Russia, for new-style private education establishments, especially the ones that have anglo-american stakes as their main allure. Yes, the term has a negative connotation, I agree. More would be politics, so I will not continue.

I hear with regret it is still hard to find vacancies in Russia - or ex-Russia - with government universities. I asked this question on the Russian forum a few times, but answers were always next to none.
Please, don't mind my wording, kazpat.
Wish you all the best/Vsiego Vam dobrovo, and enjoy the beauty of Kazakhstan,
balqis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: