Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

options without a Masters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dackinator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. A lot of job adverts are unclear or flat out dont state a salary, so this topic was very interesting to read. Nice to know that I should at least be able to get something out there, even if it is at the lower end of the scale.

To the guy that asked about BC: The wage seems significantly lower than all other schools in the gulf.

Sauditeech: $2000/month is about the max for someone with my experience/qualifiations (outside of HK or Japan where cost of living is also far higher). It's good, nice lifestyle, but not great for saving. I want to fund a Msc and Phd which is pretty expensive these days in England. Especially if I fail the residency requirements:? A year or two in the middle east seems like the best option even if it's not at a great school.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

sauditeech wrote:
Is China and Korea that poorly paid then? I thought you could earn good money in those countries. Mind you it's not as much as Saudi offer. There's about £1000 a month more you can get in Saudi compared to Asia I think.

But you have to deal with Saudis, Saudi students and Saudi hierarchy and Arab teachers. Statistically as far as money, after the absolute crap that you have to put up with when dealing with the Saudis, the money is about the same. Korea doesn't pay that low actually. Probably about 2200 US a month with the apartment paid for as well as free air tickets. Taiwan a little bit less lucrative, but still not bad. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan are the two best options for teaching ESL if you can land a job there.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
sauditeech wrote:
Is China and Korea that poorly paid then? I thought you could earn good money in those countries. Mind you it's not as much as Saudi offer. There's about £1000 a month more you can get in Saudi compared to Asia I think.

But you have to deal with Saudis, Saudi students and Saudi hierarchy and Arab teachers. Statistically as far as money, after the absolute crap that you have to put up with when dealing with the Saudis, the money is about the same. Korea doesn't pay that low actually. Probably about 2200 US a month with the apartment paid for as well as free air tickets. Taiwan a little bit less lucrative, but still not bad. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan are the two best options for teaching ESL if you can land a job there.

You don´t like Saudis, do you? I found them pleasant, decent and friendly people. You had your experiences, I had mine. Wink
gregory999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistically speaking, Mr Nut's posts about Saudi Arabia are 0.00001% accurate, with a standard of deviation undefined!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sheikh,

No, no, no - don't you understand? Mr. Nut's experience must be universal. Very Happy

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances of losing your marbles are higher in Korea than in Saudi Arabia. I have left my Standard Deviation in the office but anecdotally I can tell you that I have never met anyone with experience in Korea who was still in possession of her/his full set of marbles. Some of the people with long-term KSA experience can at least PRETEND to be sane.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Korea, Japan, and Taiwan are the two best options for teaching ESL if you can land a job there

Yes, standards in Korea and Japan are REALLY high (hmmmmm) Rolling Eyes
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
My experience was that employers say they want an MA but that the market does not always deliver. Even with a BA and a CELTA you can get decent jobs in KSA. Many teachers at KFUPM have no MA.

Try them

www.kfupm.edu.sa

or

www.dccc.edu.sa

(the affiliated Community College in Dammam)

Quoted for emphasis.

A noob - without a DELTA or MA - to the region should expect a minimum of 12,000 SAR (£2,200) completely free of taxes and flights and comfortable accommodation/allowance provided. Obviously Saudi, like anywhere but more so, is a crap shoot as to whether you'll enjoy yourself or simultaneously be living in Dante's eighth and ninth circles of hell. Some save most of their salaries, others spend it all on getting to Bahrain or Dubai whenever possible (and some are between those).

Korean public schools' starting salary is 2,100,000 won which is almost £1,300, plus flights and itsy bitsy teeny weeny accommodation. The good Hagwon jobs are only had by word of mouth. You pay some tax but not a lot. Also cheap soju is ubiquitous.

China is so vast and varied, but the general rule of thumb seems to be if you're already in country (or at least in Hong Kong) you'll receive better offers than if you want them to fly you there. Aim for 12-15,000 Yuan a month (£1,300-1,600) plus accommodation, and if you're in a third or fourth tier city you'll be able to save most of that, Shanghai is as expensive as western Europe. Again you're taxed at a low rate.

All above from memory and a few years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: