Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor literacy and native speakers.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Poor literacy and native speakers. Reply with quote

I was just having a gander at the nativespeaker.pl website and noticed that the ads put up by native speakers are full of mistakes and inconsistencies. One guy can't spell the word 'experience' and he's British ffs. Another guy, who claims to be a proofreader, uses incorrect collocations. Poland always attracted new teachers and boozers but has it really come to this? People are offering their services for as little as 30PLN. Do Poles know that many of these native speakers have poor literacy?

Ja pierdole, the thought of ever teaching there again horrifies me. I honestly don't know how people live there on the advertised salaries. Appalling. However, if the Poles don't mind who they employ, there will always be an over-supply.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor literacy and native speakers. Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I was just having a gander at the nativespeaker.pl website and noticed that the ads put up by native speakers are full of mistakes and inconsistencies. One guy can't spell the word 'experience' and he's British ffs. Another guy, who claims to be a proofreader, uses incorrect collocations. Poland always attracted new teachers and boozers but has it really come to this? People are offering their services for as little as 30PLN. Do Poles know that many of these native speakers have poor literacy?

Ja pierdole, the thought of ever teaching there again horrifies me. I honestly don't know how people live there on the advertised salaries. Appalling. However, if the Poles don't mind who they employ, there will always be an over-supply.
Is this really news to anyone?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one online. Ouch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw365gvl4u2hpa8/New%20Cv%202016.pdf?dl=0

There's your 30zł/hour right there.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It's fun to look at, some of the pictures are funny too. There was one guy wearing a wife-beater claiming that he could "take care of all of your needs" hmm....
Knedliki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that CV is to be believed, the guy managed to get through the CELTA. What does that say about Cambridge?

Probably best to delete the post as it has his personal information on it.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens in other countries.
Two people, one from Scotland and the other from Yorkshire write "english".
And these are English teachers.
One American does not know the past tense of fight, so he thinks it is "faught". It looks bad when they make up worksheets with these spellings.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The takeaway from this discussion is 'these are the doofuses you get for 30zl an hour'. If you want someone who can speak/write English correctly, you'll pay more, and a lot more for a well-qualified teacher.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possession of a university degree from an Anglophone country is no longer a guarantee of Literacy.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Possession of a university degree from an Anglophone country is no longer a guarantee of Literacy.
Who ever said these guys even had uni degrees?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
The takeaway from this discussion is 'these are the doofuses you get for 30zl an hour'. If you want someone who can speak/write English correctly, you'll pay more, and a lot more for a well-qualified teacher.

There's a particularly amusing doofus that turned up in Wrocław a few months ago.

http://www.nativespeaker.com.pl/lektor/norman-karwacki

Of course, five minutes on Google and you discover that he's got a considerable criminal history, including jail time for breaking/entering and drug posession charges.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Truly dreadful.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing !
WhirlwindTobias

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
There's a particularly amusing doofus that turned up in Wrocław a few months ago.

http://www.nativespeaker.com.pl/lektor/norman-karwacki

Of course, five minutes on Google and you discover that he's got a considerable criminal history, including jail time for breaking/entering and drug posession charges.
55zl for that? Geez, if all of my competition was like that it would be a breeze getting private students at a premium rate.

Btw Delphian-domine are you the user of the same name on Polish forums? Your posts in threads where English natives were trying to avoid tax by registering income in England were extremely helpful.
Infinite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying this for years. I wouldn't trust the vast majority of natives here to look after my dog. You guys should see the "natives" that work with Asia's fastest growing market - virtual online schools.

I'm not even kidding, 80% couldn't string together a cohesive sentence if their lives depended on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: