Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Move First, Job Second

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capricorny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Move First, Job Second Reply with quote

I'm thinking about moving to SR or PP, renting a flat and knocking on doors looking for full or part time work. Is that a thing?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be thing, but yes, moving to Cambodia and looking for work is a pretty good strategy if you're interested in teaching there.

Before you actually move there though, you can:

1) Search for teaching jobs online, contact some schools and start networking in advance. Also, there are several expat discussion forums for Cambodia.

2) Take a preliminary trip if you can to scout things out, especially if you have a lot of possessions that you're going to need to ship. This is a really great idea if you've never been there before.

Also, instead of renting a flat, you can stay in a guesthouse or budget hotel, where you can negotiate a weekly rate, for a few weeks while you sort out your work situation. Just make sure it's as secure as possible.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocking on doors.. An excellent strategy that works well throughout ASIA but could be a major disastrous approach to finding EFL teaching work in the NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING Western countries (excluding South Africa) ....which they might call "unwanted" soliciting and/or in extreme cases trespassing which could end one up in jail!!! Shocked Shocked
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another meaningful 'finger on the pulse' contribution from the Educator....
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my job with ACE before I arrived in the 'Kingdom of Wonder'. However, there would have been no problem with applying while I was in Cambodia either and, for most schools, that would probably be the best way to go about it.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Move First, Job Second Reply with quote

Capricorny wrote:
I'm thinking about moving to SR or PP, renting a flat and knocking on doors looking for full or part time work. Is that a thing?

No Joke Howard

If I ever contemplated moving to Cambodia, I'd trust his advice over anything on this board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: