Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Snow job Reply with quote

You may have heard that "Eskimos" have 30 words for "snow." You may have heard that's not really the case, that it's a myth that's been debunked.

Well, now it's been undebunked Very Happy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/there-really-are-50-eskimo-words-for-snow/2013/01/14/e0e3f4e0-59a0-11e2-beee-6e38f5215402_story.html

Regards,
John
adventious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up on my AWAD (A Word A Day) subscription today: snowclone

MEANING:
noun: A cliché adapted to a new use.
For example, a statement of the form “X is the new Y” (such as “Gray is the new black”). See more examples here.

ETYMOLOGY:
Coined by economics professor Glen Whitman in 2004, after the popular (but erroneous) idea that Eskimos have many words for snow, which is extended by others into the form: If Eskimos have N words for snow, X surely have N words for Y.

USAGE:
“The next time you read about a ‘hidden epidemic’, be aware that you are drifting into a snowclone: recent hidden epidemics have involved chlamydia, illiteracy, autism, and gambling.”
David Rowan; The Next Big Thing; The Times (London, UK); Dec 3, 2005.

This stood out:
    Others also recognize the urgency of this work. As many indigenous people turn away from their traditional lifestyle, the expertise encapsulated in their vocabulary is fading. That is why researchers such as Krupnik are trying to compile and present their dictionaries to the local communities, as lasting records of their heritage.

Because what priority the welfare of indigenous people has been given has always been shameful and crises are too common.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/attawapiskat-suicide-first-nations-emergency-1.3528747
gregory999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow job: which one to believe? Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
You may have heard that "Eskimos" have 30 words for "snow." You may have heard that's not really the case, that it's a myth that's been debunked.

Well, now it's been undebunked Very Happy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/there-really-are-50-eskimo-words-for-snow/2013/01/14/e0e3f4e0-59a0-11e2-beee-6e38f5215402_story.html

Regards,
John

A riposte to the above article:
Bad science reporting again: the Eskimos are back
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4419

I wonder which one is debunked or undebunked? Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, talk about a sore loser. The gist of the article: Yes, OK, there ARE 50 or more "Eskimo" words for snow. Boy, you write one essay called "The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax," and everyone laughs at you when it turns it it wasn't a hoax. But I wasn't REALLY calling it a "Hoax." " I mocked the credulous parroting and arbitrary numerical invention that one finds in newspapers and magazines, and critiqued the practice of repeating traveler's tales about exotic peoples without having any evidence. Forgive my pique, but I'm a bit annoyed to see Robson attributing my only contribution, the cutesy name, to folklore. . . . It is not true that "most linguists considered it an urban legend": many taught it in their introductory classes throughout the 1960s and 1970s and on into the 1980s, and I am sure there are some who still do."

Bottom line: It has never been a "hoax."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: