Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody taught in Jordan or has info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Anybody taught in Jordan or has info Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am very interested in Amman Jordan and have noticed the lack of info about teaching English there. Have any of you taught there or have more information about teaching there?
Karitos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody taught in Jordan or has info Reply with quote

lion101 wrote:
Hi guys, I am very interested in Amman Jordan and have noticed the lack of info about teaching English there. Have any of you taught there or have more information about teaching there?

Very few positions paying enough to live on. British Council is probably the best position, but some competition for full-time positions. Amideast and others have some jobs, but few pay very well.

But it's a lovely country to live in if you can find a good position.

Last edited by Karitos on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody taught in Jordan or has info Reply with quote

Karitos wrote:
Very few positions paying enough to live on. British Council is probably the best position, but some competition for full-time positions. Amideast and others have some jobs, but few pay very well.

For Jordanian university projects, look into the English Language Fellow Program, which targets Americans who hold a TEFL-related MA and a couple of years of teaching experience.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody taught in Jordan or has info Reply with quote

Do you know how much the british council or amideast pays in Jordan? [quote="Karitos"]
lion101 wrote:
Hi guys, I am very interested in Amman Jordan and have noticed the lack of info about teaching English there. Have any of you taught there or have more information about teaching there?[/quote

But it's a lovely country to live in if you can find a good position.
hash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody taught in Jordan or has info Reply with quote

lion101 wrote: Do you know how much.......amideast pays in Jordan?

As someone previously mentioned to you, you really do have to get into the habit of doing your own research......asking these kind of specific questions on this forum won't get you what you want/need except in very general terms.

Anyway, here is the Amideast site for Jordan specifying jobs.

But I can tell you right now. Most of these jobs are not what you think they are.

In fact, this particular job in Amman, according to their ad, is for an "Independent Contractor" (not a full-fledged employee). That means, among other things: 1- you're not an Amideast employee 2- they won't pay for your trip to and from USA-Jordan-USA 3- almost no benefits 3- no help with visas and the like 4- housing is up to you and so on.

In other words, what they're really looking for is someone ALREADY living and working in Jordan who would like to supplement his income by working a certain amount of hours at their location per week. It's a part-time sort of thing. It's not a "real" job.

But go ahead and try. Who knows....I may be totally wrong.

http://www.amideast.org/jordan/careers/english-language-instructor
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As someone previously mentioned to you, you really do have to get into the habit of doing your own research......asking these kind of specific questions on this forum won't get you what you want/need except in very general terms.

Unfortunately, if one is a troll and what one needs/wants is actually only endless pointless conversation with real posters, this approach serves well.

We've had quite a tsunami of troll identities over 2016 posing VERY similar questions to these all over the boards. Heaven only knows what the troll is getting out of this.
hash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spiral78"]
Quote:
Heaven only knows what the troll is getting out of this.

When you finally come to the realization that you'll never ever see YOUR NAME EMBLAZONED IN LIGHTS despite what you were told as a youth, at least you can see your name (even if it's just a pseudonym) in print for all the world to see.

For many - most, actually - this is the closest they'll ever get to their "15 minutes of fame". Cool
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Heaven only knows what the troll is getting out of this.

When it comes to trolls, that's the million dollar question. If their hobby is to aggravate people and waste their time online [I don't get it, but anyway], then, instead of coming to websites like Dave's, why don't they just take up 'scam baiting'? God knows, there is no shortage of Internet scammers out there who could be put to work. While I appreciate that many people may be morally adverse to any form of vigilantism, I'd personally much rather see them annoying some 'prince' from West Africa, (like the ones who keep clogging up my junk e-mail folder every other day with their nonsense), than trying to throw a monkey wrench into a useful resource like this Mad.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if they just want intelligent conversation with EFLers;-) why not do it openly like gregory999, who at least contributes something to the conversations himself and doesn't pretend to be someone/something he's not.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I am being called a troll due I me asking questions? That's kind of mean. I have done a lot of research these past few weeks and wanted to ask experienced workers for more information, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come back when you have your MA; in two years Wink Your inquiries will have a great deal more credibility (and be more linked to reality) then.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's smart to ask other ma holders how it's working out for them before I make a big investment. I was just concerned about if the degree has value and if I should make the investment and based on the answers on this forum I am glad I asked because it seems like the ma is a good investment.
lion101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right tho in the sense that my post will have more credibility after holding an ma but I still think my post were good posts and I am not a troll and want to apologize if I were coming off as one.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lion101 wrote:
I am being called a troll due I me asking questions? That's kind of mean. I have done a lot of research these past few weeks and wanted to ask experienced workers for more information, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

I think it's smart to ask other ma holders how it's working out for them before I make a big investment. I was just concerned about if the degree has value and if I should make the investment and based on the answers on this forum I am glad I asked because it seems like the ma is a good investment.

If you'd actually done some research, you wouldn't be asking the same questions on these forums. You've already been given valid advice on what to pursue based on the vague info you've offered about yourself. Twice you've mentioned you want a degree path for jobs that "require less work" with zero clarification about what that means. It's also unclear if you want to teach adults or young children. Nor is it not particuarly useful to keep asking about pay when many job ads indicate a salary or range.

So instead of trying to piece together what you think you need, take time to look at a dozen actual job ads for the type of position you want and in the region(s) you're interested in. Use the employer requirements as a guide on what education, teaching credentials, and experience you'll need. That's where you should be investing your "research" time. Since these Mid East forums mostly focus on university, vocational, military, oil TEFL situations, look at International Schools Review, which has a forum for k-12 teachers.

That said, you just graduated with your BA in business and as a newbie, you have no clue about teaching nor what TEFL entails. Rather than jumping into an MA program, I strongly suggest you head to Korea or China and gain a few years of experience to see if you like teaching and can handle a classroom full of children since that seems to be your target learners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: