Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the tax rate in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: What is the tax rate in Italy Reply with quote

My employer says that the tax on my earnings is roughly 25%. Would that be about right for someone earning 1800Euro a month? It might be higher next month as I should have more classes. It should be around 2000euro next month.
Baggio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What city are you living in and what's the name of your school if you don't mind me asking?
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm living in Turin and working for Berlitz
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Italy......or China?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1242311&highlight=#1242311

Rolling Eyes Wink

Since you say your contract in China ends in 2017, I would assume you are taken care of financially til then.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It states on that thread you posted that I am in Italy. I was just interested in possibly finding a job I china that's all because this contract, although it's until 2017, there are months when there is no work and no pay. That's the kind of contract they give you. They also told me that it was just August when there was no work and I thought I could get by on that but it is going to be July and August so they fibbed to me. I have a studio apartment which I don't know if I can get out of because the landlord said 6 months minimum with two month notice so I don't know if I can get my deposit back if I give notice before the 6 months are up. My idea is to not pay rent for 2 months, go back home and then come back again at the beginning of Sept when the work starts again. Then there will be another period of no work from November sometime until January so I believe. I wasn't told all this when I accepted the job. It's probably 8 months out of 12 teaching at 2000euro per month gross.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Berlitz. Those are bottom-of-the-barrel jobs and do nothing positive for one's CV. You are a licensed teacher, you say. So, why Berlitz to begin with?
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever done supply teaching really and you can only make about £17k per year doing that. I haven't taught in schools since about 2007 so I don't have any references for my main subject, I just have references for TEFL since that's what I have been doing since 2007 ish. I might apply for an EAL position at an international school but they will prob want recent EAL experience in a uk school so I don't know if I'd be successful getting the job or not. Berlitz sweet talked me into taking this job but as I said, I thought it was just going to be August when there was no work and possibly Dec. 2000euro on the table seemed good at the time.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My employer says that the tax on my earnings is roughly 25%. Would that be about right for someone earning 1800Euro a month? It might be higher next month as I should have more classes. It should be around 2000euro next month.

That sounds about right if I remember rightly to when I was employed. Your employer should pay tax and INPS contributions on your behalf - check that they are doing this - there should be the details on your pay slip. (The INPS goes towards your pension.) There are also a number of other taxes, including regional tax, btw.
Mixal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500 EUR net is higher than pretty much all of the ads for Italy that I've seen on TEFL.com. Just sayin'.

Must be business English, I presume.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: o Reply with quote

I was under the assumption that it's25% altogether including municipal taxes. Will have to wait and see.

Yes it's mainly Business English and some General English too. I won't come out with 1500euro this month as I haven't done a full schedule of 37.5 hours. However my employer has filled the slots now almost so I should get 1500euro net or whatever it is net next month. The good thing is I only pay 370euro a month rent for a studio apartment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: