Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place with small kids? Ras Khaimah, Ajman, Kor Fakken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Best place with small kids? Ras Khaimah, Ajman, Kor Fakken Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am thinking of taking the leap to the UAE with my Korean hubby and 2 kids. I need a place with inexpensive rent. We are not fancy people and can get by very frugally. What we DO like is nature and the outdoors. I don't drink or partake in consumerism.

So, which of these places is good? Any info on these places?

Ajman
Ras Khaimah
Khor Fakken
Fujairah
Sharjah

Also, do foreign kids ever go into the public school system in rural areas?

Thanks in advance
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public schools are restricted to Emirates.

Are you only looking at employers that provide a housing allowance? Plus, you may need to factor in the cost of a car depending on where you live vs where you work.
jmvkjmvk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Are you only looking at employers that provide a housing allowance? Plus, you may need to factor in the cost of a car depending on where you live vs where you work.

SeekTeachers might offer 21,000 UAE but I need to find, furnish and pay for my own place with 6 month to a year up front in rent. What a start up cost!! Is this a bum deal? I am a licensed teacher in the USA with a masters and 10 years exp. (8 years abroad uni in Korea and 2 years teaching high school in USA)

Are you saying foreign kids aren't allowed in the public schools in the UAE?
If so, recruiters ought to give tuition allowance
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Restricted" isn't the best word choice. But be aware, public school instruction is done in Arabic, which is also a language requirement for admissions. Plus, priority is given to Emirati children. See Terms and Conditions for Admitting Expatriate Students. And "In Dubai, Cost and Waits for School Pose Hurdles".

If you're licensed, skip the lowball public school jobs and instead, apply directly to American curriculum international schools.
canadianinuae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

SeekTeachers might offer 21,000 UAE but I need to find, furnish and pay for my own place with 6 month to a year up front in rent. What a start up cost!! Is this a bum deal? I am a licensed teacher in the USA with a masters and 10 years exp. (8 years abroad uni in Korea and 2 years teaching high school in USA)

Considering you have a family, I'd suggest you go thru Teachaway or one of those recruiting companies to get into an international school. They'd pay for or offer housing at least, and maybe pay for some schooling. At 21k , you'd have a difficult time of it with a family as cost of schooling is VERY expensive and this contract that you're talking about isn't at all flexible. They're not going to pay for schooling, and 21 k is one thing for a single person (and at that, not great! as housing is going to take a good chunk of it) , but married with kids. I'd not recommend.

Are you saying foreign kids aren't allowed in the public schools in the UAE?
If so, recruiters ought to give tuition allowance
Geronimo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're coming over from mountainous South Korea,
I'd suggest that Ras Al Khaimah, with its mountains,
is one of your best options...

http://www.rasalkhaimahtourism.com/things-todo.aspx

Geronimo
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Best places with small kids? Reply with quote

Dear jmv,
I sent you a PM about Ras al Khaimah.

PS
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: MOE Reply with quote

I was offered in Um Al Quwain..not great, but may be a bit cheaper than other places. I'm alone so it makes a big difference..

Schooling is very expensive in the UAE. I wouldn't work for this amount of money if I had a family with me.
canadianUAE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place with small kids? Ras Khaimah, Ajman, Kor Fakk Reply with quote

jmvkjmvk wrote:
Hi there,

I am thinking of taking the leap to the UAE with my Korean hubby and 2 kids. I need a place with inexpensive rent. We are not fancy people and can get by very frugally. What we DO like is nature and the outdoors. I don't drink or partake in consumerism.

So, which of these places is good? Any info on these places?

Ajman
Ras Khaimah
Khor Fakken
Fujairah
Sharjah

Also, do foreign kids ever go into the public school system in rural areas?

Thanks in advance

Maybe try the Swiss International School in Dubai? Am guessing they pay well at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: