Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Friend claims that Ireland to be downgraded to non-native

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Friend claims that Ireland to be downgraded to non-native Reply with quote

As above really. One of my mates works in Shenzhen and just text me to say that Ireland (he's Irish) will be downgraded to non-native status by the powers that be in China. Claims that it will happen in a couple of years but I couldn't find anything online to confirm it.

Not trying to scaremonger as it is completely unconfirmed. Not based in mainland China myself so unsure how it would affect visas or whatever. Quite surprised as I was under the impression that they still needed more teachers across the board.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quite surprised as I was under the impression that they still needed more teachers across the board."
Yes, it would be very illogical to do. That is why they will do it.

Demand for Irish is exploding in the PRC. I am sure your friend will be fine.

I would guess it would have something to do with the unintelligible accent. If true, they may as well exclude everyone but Americans.

BTW, I couldn't find anything about it either. My green-blooded cousin from across the Atlantic could probably contact the embassy to find out if this is truth or fiction.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
"Quite surprised as I was under the impression that they still needed more teachers across the board."

I would guess it would have something to do with the unintelligible accent. If true, they may as well exclude everyone but Americans.

Why stop there? Let's get rid of southerners. Who wants their kid to speak like Forrest Gump? And the Brooklyn accent deviates from standard. Do you really want your students to be humiliated when they go to Starbucks and having the girl behind the counter unable to understand when they try to order a "cuppa kawfee?" Ban them and be done with it.
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your friend wasn't having a bit of craic with you, so to speak?
nobelscholar

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Ireland not to be downgraded. Reply with quote

I called up the Chinese embassy in Ireland and they said citizens of Ireland are still eligible to teach in China and gain a foreign experts cert and so on. There is no way Ireland will be downgraded because 97% of the citizenry in Ireland speak English as their mother tongue.

Look at how many times Irish poets and scholars have won the Nobel Prize for literature. Has it been 5 times? Nearly the same amount of times America has won it despite the population of America being about 323 million and Ireland's being approximately 4.6 million.

Regarding South Africans, I'm not sure if they were even on the list of eligible nationalities to teach English in China. According to Wikipedia, about 10% of South Africans speak English as their first language.

I think there are changes to be announced regarding regulations concerning foreign expert certificates. I think non-native English speakers will have to have a degree from a native English speaking country. I think these changes will only be applied in some provinces. I'm not sure which countries China regards as native English speaking countries but I'm pretty sure Ireland, the UK, Australia, America, New Zealand, and Canada are deemed to be recognized as so.
Markness

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ireland not to be downgraded. Reply with quote

nobelscholar wrote:
I called up the Chinese embassy in Ireland and they said citizens of Ireland are still eligible to teach in China and gain a foreign experts cert and so on. There is no way Ireland will be downgraded because 97% of the citizenry in Ireland speak English as their mother tongue.

Look at how many times Irish poets and scholars have won the Nobel Prize for literature. Has it been 5 times? Nearly the same amount of times America has won it despite the population of America being about 323 million and Ireland's being approximately 4.6 million.

Regarding South Africans, I'm not sure if they were even on the list of eligible nationalities to teach English in China. According to Wikipedia, about 10% of South Africans speak English as their first language.

I think there are changes to be announced regarding regulations concerning foreign expert certificates. I think non-native English speakers will have to have a degree from a native English speaking country. I think these changes will only be applied in some provinces. I'm not sure which countries China regards as native English speaking countries but I'm pretty sure Ireland, the UK, Australia, America, New Zealand, and Canada are deemed to be recognized as so.

Yeah, I have some South African buddies, they are good people but their English is shit (no offense). One was teaching in front of all of us and couldn't spell simple things like "Beijing", or "Shanghai". They really scraped by to beat the system some how. I have nothing against them but yeah, not the highest quality of English spoken there (not that the Chinese can tell). Laughing

As for the Irish they speak English as a first language, and are usually pretty solid. I only noticed people from there who had a really bad accent were from the "working class" sorts of backgrounds. But what can you do? Tell them to speak clearly and not like a gypsy trying to sell you broken stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: