Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intl unit Grand Bassam Côte Ivoire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmbob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Intl unit Grand Bassam Côte Ivoire Reply with quote

update?

Last edited by danmbob on Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any job in the Cote d'Ivoire is not for the faint-hearted. I have a close friend currently working in the US Embassy in Abidjan and was invited for a holiday there last year.

The US embassy personnel are prohibited from travelling at night outside Abidjan because Cote d'Ivoire is classed as ' Critical for Crime' and all types of crime including violent gun crime are prevalent. Half the population lives on less than $2 a day and all foreigners stick out like a sore thumb. It is still very unstable following the 2010/2011 post electoral crisis which caused over 3,000 deaths.

In March 2016, there was an Al-Qaeda attack on beach hotels in Grand Bassam and 16 were killed, including 4 Europeans. Thy are expecting further attacks. The current atmosphere is very tense and threatening.

Grand Bassam is actually the home to a UNESCO World Heritage site with its former French colonial capital buildings.

As for the university, I only passed in front of the campus, but in June 2015 it had only 400 students. It is a non-profit American university, opened in 2007, and therefore a possible terrorist target.

It is often used by scammers offering jobs, so do tread carefully, and don't send any money.
phonologist

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Ivory COast Reply with quote

The job posting I saw--on Profs Abroad--required a PhD.
sirius black

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the pay?
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: University Grand Bassam Reply with quote

I was in Cote d'Ivoire in 2014 and last year. Last year was noticeable for more night time activity - people on the streets, traders selling things. So life is returning to normal after the civil war.
Anywhere is a potential terrorist target.
Grand Bassam is a holiday resort and day trip destination from Abidjan, at week ends, public holidays the beaches are busy, there's a few hotels from budget to swanky.
Cote d'Ivoire is a West African country now attracting a lot of investment. A major producer of cocoa, coffee and so on Abidjan is a huge port of strategic importance for the region. It's one of the more prosperous places in the region.
There is work teaching English, I was offered a job on the spot by another private university until I said that I didn't live in Abidjan and was only visiting.
eng4elephants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The position does not require a PhD. Perhaps the job Phonologist saw posted was for a position in another department.

The university's enrollment was up to 550 in spring.

As far as danger, I can understand why embassy staff aren't supposed to be out driving around the country at night; however, that does not mean that areas outside Abidjan are necessarily dangerous.

"They" can expect more attacks in the region, but that does not mean that Bassam will necessarily be hit again. So far, that has not been the pattern.

I can testify that as a foreigner I have been treated with much more respect in Cote d'Ivoire than in some neighboring countries. In eight years, the most criminal thing that has happened to me was someone trying to steal my bag, which was on the chair next to me. It's true that many people live on not much money, but that doesn't mean they are out stalking foreigners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: