Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest on US teachers working in EU?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Latest on US teachers working in EU? Reply with quote

Background:Boyf is a qualified, experienced primary teacher from America and I am qualified, experienced ESL teacher from Britain. We've both got teaching jobs at an International School in Qatar for next two years, during which time we intend to get married.

My question:When our two years in Qatar is up, by what means can he move back to Europe with me and work legally? We don't know where in Europe yet, depends where two suitable jobs come up in 2016.

We've had an absolute TONNE of conflicting advice from everyone including the UK citizen's advice bureau, various forums, and an independent immigration advice NGO and nobody knows the answer! One thing is unanimous though, no EU school offers visa sponsorship/support that we've seen - you have to sort out your own paperwork and eligibility. However, we know that there are American teachers working legally in Europe (there are even American schools in Europe) so it can't be impossible.

Does anyone have any real, recent experience moving an American to Europe as the spouse of an EU citizen and can you talk me through the process please?

I'll put this on more than one page because people in different EU areas might have different knowledge, but thank you in advance for your help.
Thank you
Laura
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Italy, the status of boyfriend wouldn't count for anything, and civil partnerships aren't recognised. You'd need to be married for boyf to use your EU status as an "in" But beyond that, I don't know - and from what I've read, there's a conflicting range of personal experience. If boyf got a job as a US citizen in an international school, then you'd very probably be able to find work as an ELT teacher at any other school nearby in Italy. Maybe not well-paid, but if you're qualified, experienced and personable it isn't too difficult!

If you decide on Italy, you might find two other forums of help: expatsinitaly (they also have fb page) and the community section of italy mag (a UK-oriented site). Good luck!
Aimer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you didn't get good advice from citizens advice. I'm no expert but I don't see how your experience is any different to any other British citizen trying to get citizenship for their spouse. The fact you are both working outside the eu currently and when you get married doesn't seem relevant and certainly wouldn't allow you to somehow bypass the regulations.
All the info is online at https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration

Long and short of it is that you will need to sponsor your husband, which means you'll need to prove you are working in Britain, have been doing so for 6 months, have a contract going forward and earn at least £19k a year (more if you have children). If you get a job in another eu country you won't be resident in Britain but you aren't a citizen of that other country so can't apply for your spouses citizenship there.

As for Americans working in Italy it may be that there are American schools that are allowed to employ directly but I'd be very surprised indeed. I think much more likely is one of the following: they have dual citizenship due to an Italian parent, they already have citizenship via spousal route, they have a student or other type of visa which allows them to work a limited number of hours, they are working illegally (whatever people say this is still common). I do actually know an American who 'won' Italian citizenship through the lottery but that isn't really a viable plan!

Good luck but I think unless I am really wrong on this that the only real way is for you to go the UK and get a job there for at least 6 months.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Italy take American teachers at all? You mentioned international schools. I do have a teaching certificate in social studies and French. I have an M.A. in TESOL. Would I be able to get a job in Italy? I've taught at a Korean university, and I'm teaching at a Turkish one now.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real international schools can in fact get visas for non-EU citizens, as can regular/state universities. However, they need to be able to demonstrate that 'you' have qualifications that no EU member citizen candidate for the position possessed in order to do so.

So it's technically possible, but given that turnover in these institutions is low and you would be competing with equally qualified EU member citizens, it's not likely. Even worse, such positions are usually 'advertised' only as a matter of meeting legal requirements - there is very often already a chosen candidate, who has local contacts and reputation along with the quals.

They won't be impressed with your Korean experience (apples and oranges to teaching in Europe), and Turkish experience isn't much direct benefit either....

it would take a great deal of luck, but if you see an advert, definitely nothing to lose by sending a CV.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an American working in Italy where I worked. He has an Italian wife though so maybe that's why he can live and work in Italy. A job on TES today for a music teacher in Rome specifically asks for UK experience and a UK teacher OR someone with papers for the eu already sorted out. How did you both get a job at a Qatar international? Teaching a specific subject? Why not stay in Qatar?
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say this American in Italy used to live in London for 16 years I think he said with his Italian wife. So there must be a way for your BF to live in the UK with you but I guess you might have to be married.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: