Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumbs Up for Brunei !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MahaGala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insubordination wrote:
It's surprising and unusual to see so many positive comments about one particular program. I especially like the comments about the 'rough' students.

I have penciled in Brunei for the distant future because if I ever want to remain a teacher, go scuba diving at weekends, and be able to buy a flat one day, it seems like one of the few viable international options. I have worked for 10 years in TESOL. I still love it, but financially it's just not working for me.

Since I first saw this thread, I have enrolled in a Grad. Dip. Ed. and am just about to finish my first semester. The dream is still years away, but I am closer than I was this time last year.

Insubordination, I know it's been 2 years. However, I'm curious as to how did your Grad. Dip in Educ. go, and what sort of job did it get you? I know that completing this degree will give you a QTS in Australia, but haven't seen many job ads on this website, requiring it. I'm doing mine at Curtin University in Perth,WA. Have to repeat 1 unit and do my Internship this upcoming semester. After that, I'll be looking for work with a realistic possibility of saving money. Considered ME, but have realised that Brunei would be a better option ( proximity to Australia + I speak some Indonesian/Malay + I generally prefer the SEA culture to that of ME + the salaries sound decent and the cost of living cheap).

In fact, if anyone at all could answer these questions ,I'd be very thankful.

Also, I've got 4 years of experience, teaching Business and EFL English in China, Thailand and Cambodia.
What category would I fall into, salary-wise? Would CfBT consider hiring a teacher with my limited experience? What is the best way of applying to CfBT?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advise! Very Happy
MahaGala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Social scene Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:
Looking back over this thread.....

It seems like Brunei is very appealing to Married folk with kids for obvious reasons.

Goes without saying that if your fave weekend activity is nightclubbing you are in the wrong place, and those of us who enjoy going to bars would have to make some sacrifices.

So how do the single blokes like it and what do you get up to?

Good point! Want to ask this question as well... Wink
cha muir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Y'all,

Not sure how many questions have gone unanswered, but I'll try to get to the ones I read.

I've been here a year and a half, with CfBT.

Short answer, as a family man with two children, I recommend it. There are not many single folks, but of the ones I know, they report liking it.

The pay scale is available on the CfBT website, so just poke around. Minimum requirements are on there too, but in brief: qualified teacher, two (three?) years of relevant teaching experience.

Here's what a lot of guys get up to:

sailing, swimming, socializing at the yacht club (100 dollars a month)
squash, tennis, badminton, working out, swimming at the Royal Brunei Rec. Club, or for a higher price at the Empire Hotel club; or at the JPMC rec. center.
golf, (900 dollars a year membership fee)
scuba
surfing
motorbike riding in the jungle
playing music with friends, sometimes at local music studios which rent out time in the jam rooms
ultimate frisbee
Hashing in the Jungle
visiting waterfalls
going across the border for drinks (45 min. drive)
martial arts
any-do-it-yourself activities (how much imagination do you have?)

In short, people here are quite active, and locals are involved in most of the above activities. There is both money and leisure time, so most of these things can be done mid-week, as well as on the weekend.

I'll check in later to answer any other questions you may have.

Yours,

Cha Muir
JacobTM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am a young teacher finishing my Masters in TESOL, I wonder how restrictive the laws here are?

I'm thinking of this in reference to Saudi Arabia or Qatar, where police may stop you for holding hands in public with a woman who is not your wife, etc.

Basically, are you able to be so liberal as to have a girlfriend in Brunei, or is this basically illegal as in some Middle Eastern countries?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not as well-informed about Brunei as many of the posters here, but, once I get my Graduate Diploma of Education and the necessary experience, I plan on applying for a job at an international school in Brunei or CfBT.

I was actually in Brunei about two months ago for a short holiday and it's a lovely country full of the nicest people you are likely to meet! Like cah muir said, if you are the active, outdoorsy type, there are plenty of things to do. Although I'm not a heavy drinker, I could live without the booze ban, but, as others have stated, there are legal ways around that.
JB Shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: CfBT Brunei Reply with quote

Hi All
I ended my contract last year after 7 yrs in Brunei with CfBT.
So much has changed over that time. CfBT have lost their focus on the people and are now just another corporate body looking at money. The management has become indifferent, to say the least and the teachers are generally very unhappy.
So many people have left over the last 2 yrs and I know of at least 30 who will leave at the end of 2014 because they are fed up.
IGNORE the sickly positives of STEVENSON....she is obviously either working for CfBT or blinded and living in cloud-cuckoo land.
CfBT run the company in Brunei by putting the fear of God into people and threatening you with th eMoE. The MoE are passive and will NEVER get involved unless there is serious trouble like drugs/alcohol etc.
Life in Brunei is amazing, the money is great and the job is wonderful.
A great pity about the bad management and lack of care from a oathetic company.
sting29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Brunei International Schools Reply with quote

My husband (UK) has recently been offered a contract with CfBT in Brunei and from what we can see there is a choice of 2 schools for our 9 yr old daughter. The International School Brunei and Jerudong International School. ISB is described as a 'nice , established international school' and JIS as 'modern and well resourced'. We know some CfBT parents have moved their children to JIS whilst others are happy with ISB.
We know JIS is more expensive and further out of BSB. What we would really like to know about is standard and quality of teaching, children's happiness index, exam results and college placement and general parental well being.
It would be great to hear first hand from current parents about which school they prefer for their children and why.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the school or college jobs on offer in Brunei (CfBT or otherwise) always require you to have a driving license?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a quick question about the three years of "classroom experience". Is experience in international schools acceptable or does it have to be in your home country? If international schools are acceptable, does anyone know about what type of accreditation is necessary? Many thanks!
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across the below link. Thought it might be helpful to share.

http://www.eslteachingonline.com/teach-english-abroad-brunei-with-cfbt-school/
chrisp728

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. Had a quick butcher's around and this Brunei CfBT gig seems reasonably intriguing: nice climate and lifestyle, and they seem to sponsor your wife and kids and pay for two of them to go to a private school out there. This in the event that I decide to forego my freedom and spawn crotchfruit at some stage in the distant future.

I've got a degree, CELTA, and several years EFL experience: reckon that would get me in the door? Or would I have to get some extra quals? Which would be good? If so, it would have to be online - are they recognised in Brunei? What do some Brunei hands reckon?

Many thanks to any and all who care to comment Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't give a feather on a chicken's ass about the Sultan and his fried religion, however of all the ESL possibilities, Brunei may be the only one actually worth getting additional qualifications to teach. The only problem is, what if you get your qualifications and they don't want you? Then off to the other untenable, diminishing salary, lack of Judeo-Christian ethics bullshit jobs for you. All of them unstable and with crappy pay. If you decide you have to turn to Saudi Arabia or the other Gulf State imbeciles, you cannot have one credit of online classes on your transcripts for any degree, keep that in mind. They have standards there you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: