Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age discrimination in Spain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piglet44

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Age discrimination in Spain? Reply with quote

Hi All
I am a Brit with 30 years of experience, MA and TEFL qualification (not online). Have been in China, and various other places here and there.Just wondering how things look right now in Spain for someone approaching 60. Am I going to be able to find any job at all in Spain? Not bothered if it is not full time,( in fact that would be preferable) as I have a teeny pension (and my hubby has a better one) but would like to teach a bit (preferably NOT kiddies), and travel a bit. Not bothered about location, in fact outside of Barc-Madrid would be better.Also have very elementary Spanish and experience in CAE, IELTS and TOEFL. All advice appreciated.I heard from an online student of mine in Valencia that there is some new demand that all Spanish schoolteachers know English, is there any truth in this?
MasterM

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that you'll find ageism or any other '-ism' is prevalent in Spain, as much as it is in China.

If you haven't lived in Spain before then do your research about where you'd like to live, it's very diverse in all ways, don't do it on a whim. Like anywhere else, set your priorities and as it seems work isn't the main priority you probably have a wide choice and like anywhere else, it doesn't suit everyone.

Work wise, you'll need to be on the ground, door knocking and making contacts - why Spain anyway?
piglet44

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Why Spain Reply with quote

I have worked for many years in the Middle East and my current fixed home is Israel. I have worked for 3 years in China and now don't want to be an expensive flight away but would like to brush up on my Spanish. Can't stand the cold so it would be southern Spain which I have visited and enjoy the culture, weather and so on. At first I was thinking Mexico or South America but they are too expensive to fly to on a whim, and too far to get back home from in a hurry if I need to do that. I would like Italy too but there are few jobs there as far as I can see. Northern Europe doesn't attract me much.
darkside1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine who has a holiday home near Malaga and is close to teachers' retirement age (60), tells me that she has a friend who retired 3-4 years ago (so is now approaching 64) who also lives in the Malaga area and teaches part-time. She was a secondary teacher and has a TEFL Certificate. The work is a mixture of 'outreach' classes via private language schools (involving teenagers) and private tuition. I gather the pay is okay to supplement a pension. In the future it is something I would consider doing.
piglet44

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Darkside. Good to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: