Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New teacher thinking of Bilbao or Seville, advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: New teacher thinking of Bilbao or Seville, advice? Reply with quote

Well, tbh I am jumping the gun as I haven't done my CELTA yet but am planning on doing it during June.

I would like to stay out of Madrid and Barcelona so am looking for alternate destinations. Seville looks amazing because of the history, architecture and tapas! However it sounds murderously hot and being Andalusia the pronunciation will be harder to pick up.

Bilbao has allot of rainy weather but it is close to the sea and mountains which is good for sports, is also close to France and I would love to go to Carcassone. I imagine the scenery would be spectacular!

Anyone been to either or both of these cities, or have an alternative for me to think about? The main reason for me going to Spain is to fully learn the language.

Cheers!
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many nice, smaller towns. Pamplona, San Sebastian, and Leon are all interesting places. Salamanca and Valencia also worth checking out.

I think it would be a good idea to stay away from Madrid and Barcelona, especially when you want to learn some Spanish.
Saxif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamplona looks interesting, I like the fact it is right next to the Pyrenees too.

I hear to get a job you need to be on the ground, so is it best for me to just turn up close to the start of the season and pass my CV around?
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxif wrote:
Pamplona looks interesting, I like the fact it is right next to the Pyrenees too.

I hear to get a job you need to be on the ground, so is it best for me to just turn up close to the start of the season and pass my CV around?

Look out for those bulls in Pamplona. They have big horns.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, saxif can probably handle a great deal of bs - he seems to be extremely used to dealing in it Rolling Eyes
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like our old buddy has jumped sections of the orchestra again..... Laughing
Saxif

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, have I been mistaken for someone else or ...?

So, regarding getting a position, is it fairly easy to just turn up and find work? Also, do I need a properly translated Spanish CV (one would assume) or can I use my UK one?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxif wrote:
Do I need a properly translated Spanish CV (one would assume) or can I use my UK one?

Yes, as an English language teacher you should always have your CV translated into the languages of the countries you intend to work in, and you should expect to interview in each one of those languages. Rolling Eyes
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Saxif wrote:
Do I need a properly translated Spanish CV (one would assume) or can I use my UK one?

Yes, as an English language teacher you should always have your CV translated into the languages of the countries you intend to work in, and you should expect to interview in each one of those languages. Rolling Eyes

I'd say that it's not necessary in Spain or France (at least it never has been for me) especially in cities. Many schools are run by English speakers and it's rare that you'll get someone employing you who doesn't have a very good level of English. In fact I'd steer clear of any schools where the owner/manager doesn't speak English.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No troll-feeding, please Wink
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Saxif wrote:

I´ve held teaching posts in Spain, Kuwait and KSA. I´ve never had my CV translated and certainly wasn´t interviewed in Arabic! It would have been a very brief interview.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but if you are saxif/mingvase/gamze70/Elliot_spencer, and etc. you should always be sure to have your CV translated.
Saxif

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Ah, but if you are saxif/mingvase/gamze70/Elliot_spencer, and etc. you should always be sure to have your CV translated.

I'm Saxif only, none of the others, something I obviously cannot prove so will try and avoid arguing over, though I am aware of some friction between posters.

I'll get my CV translated, as I know a few Spaniards and it shouldn't prove difficult.

I am planning to do a year in Spain, I do speak a little, depending on my current role and if I have my contract extended depends if I travel across this Sep, or sometime next year. I am a little nervous of just rocking up in country tbh but given that's how people have been doing it for years, I'm sure it'll work out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxif wrote:
I'll get my CV translated, as I know a few Spaniards and it shouldn't prove difficult.

Seriously? Do not get your CV translated; the English version is what employers expect from an EFL teacher. (It should have been clear by my eye-rolling emoticon that I was being flippant in my response about the idea of multiple translations.)
SirKirby

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience (35+ years in Spain) is that in fact in the smaller schools, particularly in the smaller towns, but even in places like Barcelona, some knowledge of Spanish (or Catalan, in Barcelona) is useful, sometimes even required, and having a copy of your CV in Spanish isn't a bad idea at all.

You get an interview but it turns out the DoS/School owner doesn't speak much English (by no means unheard of, however strange it might seem). You don't speak any Spanish and don't have your CV in their language but the next candidate does. Sorry, you DIDN'T get the job.

Apart from communicating with the school (think also secretaries and accounts departments, etc.), some schools want you to have some Spanish to deal with parents and/or learners, especially young learners and discipline problems with them.

Besides, you aren't going to come to Spain and not learn Spanish, are you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: